can somebody help me with my trackplan?

Started by sedfred, January 03, 2016, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

This is why I suggested the Atlas software. He wants to use Atlas track, the program is free, the program is easy to use, the program is accurate for Atlas track and you get a full version....no limitations.

But what do I know? ::)

Sid

Len

Sid - I don't disagree, that's why I posted the link to the Atlas software earlier. I use RR-Track because I needed something fast, easy to use, and with multiple libraries, when my shop was still open.

At any rate, the track list is:

Item list for 2x8_Switching layout

QTY  DESCRIPTION
(3)     Atlas c.100 168 36.0 in FlexTrack
(18)    Atlas c.100 821 9.0 in straight
(5)     Atlas c.100 822 6.0 in straight
(3)     Atlas c.100 823 3.0 in straight
(1)     Atlas c.100 847-3 1.25 in straight
(2)     Atlas c.100 847-4 2.00 in straight
(2)     Atlas c.100 281 Mark IV #4 LH turnout
(6)     Atlas c.100 282 Mark IV #4 RH turnout
(8)     Atlas c.100 843 track bumper

Note that most of the FlexTrack sections, and many of the 9" straights, are "trimmed to fit" in several locations.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

sid as I have said before, atlas software may be free but it is not the full version.

scarm is the full version, and it is also free. and it has multiple libraries not just atlas.

scarm also has a serious limitation if you are planning a layout with grades. it will not allow you to place switches on a grade, which is a major drawback if you are modeling a mountain railroad. you can have a grade leading to and from the switch, but the switch itself must be level. anyrail does not have that problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

What's a "track plan"?   ;D

I've never drawn a track plan for any of the six model railroads I've built in my life.

They ranged from the pre-early teen years British 4 x 8, through the later teen years 12 x 12 foot British Railway (Southern Region) in my parent's attic and then the  2 x 12 switching layout of my bachelor years followed by the 12 x 16 foot Great Eastern Railway sometimes seen on this message board and now the latest 10 x 33 foot version of the Great Eastern Railway.

Never once put pencil to paper to draw a plan.  However, I must admit, in the latest version of the GER I did base it on the Rutland's Alburgh Yard but this was how it was "planned":-

And this: -

However, not having a plan doesn't mean I do not have a clear(ish) vision of how I see each "station" or switching area developing.  I have a good idea of how the prototype lays out yards and industries and that's what I am guided by.  Plus, I keep in mind I want a realistic model of a railroad and not a model railroad.  There is a difference.

Cheers

Roger T.

WoundedBear

Quote from: jward on January 10, 2016, 05:04:10 PM
sid as I have said before, atlas software may be free but it is not the full version.

scarm is the full version, and it is also free. and it has multiple libraries not just atlas.

scarm also has a serious limitation if you are planning a layout with grades. it will not allow you to place switches on a grade, which is a major drawback if you are modeling a mountain railroad. you can have a grade leading to and from the switch, but the switch itself must be level. anyrail does not have that problem.

And you keep trying to complicate things for the lad. He's using Atlas track on a perfectly flat layout. Why make things difficult?

BTW.....I planned my layout with the Atlas software. My trackplan is shown in my thread. Had no issues with the grade thing and turnouts.......it's really not that hard to work around. When it came time to lay track, things worked out to within an 1/8th of an inch on the plywood compared to the plan. Same as when I did my HOe layout. Being only 18"X36" I was able to print the track plan and use it as a template. Again, 4 percent grades proved not to be an issue, and everything fit as planned.

Sid

jbrock27

Quote from: rogertra on January 10, 2016, 06:18:24 PM
What's a "track plan"?   ;D

I've never drawn a track plan for any of the six model railroads I've built in my life.

Never once put pencil to paper to draw a plan.  

Cheers

Roger T.

My kinda guy, except for this part...

Quote from: rogertra on January 10, 2016, 06:18:24 PM

...keep in mind I want a realistic model of a railroad and not a model railroad. 

Cheers

Roger T.
Keep Calm and Carry On