News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G Scale

Started by antfc, January 06, 2016, 10:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antfc

Hi All, I just ordered a g scale chassis #90035, is it dc or battery? Also, in the pic it shows black wheels, is that correct? I know, dumb question. I have n, ho, on30, and now I am starting to dabble in g scale. Also, do I need to order a weight for it, and what lube would I need to use on the motor gears. Thank You, Tony

BillBrakeman

Question 1: is the chassis #90035 DC or battery.  The motor in the chassis is DC and it is wired to pick up power from the track in the same manner as all the other scales you mention in you post.  if you desire the loco to be battery powered it is a very easy conversion.

Question 2: the pic it shows black wheels, is that correct?  Yes. What you see is what you get.  However the black is painted on and will wear off the treads from usage.

Question 3: do I need (my emphasis on need) to order a weight for it?  You really should add weight to the chassis to improve the pulling capabilities of the engine.  As to ordering a weight you are in between a rock and a hard spot. The correct part, "900XX-91030-MT001" is out of stock and you will have to call Bmann. parts dept. to get information on its restocking status.  You could order the weight for older Anniversary engines and try to modify it or go to your local tire store and get used wheel weights and construct your own weight.  Maybe someone else on the forum will chime in with a better solution.

Question 4: what lube would I need to use on the motor gears?  I use white lithium grease once a year.

I hope this helps you. 

Bill

antfc

Thank You Bill, your anwsers are a big help to me. Very informative. I have an MRC ControlMaster that I will use for track power. Thanks again. Tony

Chuck N

I assume, that you already have the boiler and cab.  Is there no weight in the boiler? 

I suggest that you call the parts department and ask them how much weight should be in the boiler.  Too little weight and the drivers will slip and too much will put added strain on the gears and motor.  I've used lead fishing weights in a couple of my engines, not Bachmann, but weights used to balance wheels would also work.

Chuck

antfc

Hi Chuck, did not order boiler yet, but it comes with a weight? I bought a basket case from ebay, maybe there is a weight in it. Thanks for the insight. Tony

Chuck N

I have no idea as to whether or not the replacement boiler comes with weight.  My comment was about whether or not your basket case came with a weight in the boiler.

Pardon my comment, but it sounds as if your eBay purchase may have a usuable tender.  So far you are replacing the entire engine.

Call me confused!

Chuck

antfc

Hi Chuck, the ebay purchase was just the loco (boiler and chassis, no tender), the Bachmann purchase was just the new chassis, no boiler yet. Loco from ebay will be used for parts unless I can repair it. Make any sense? My next Bachmann purchase will be the PRR boiler, probably next month. Following me so far? LOL. I will be building my new g scale engine piece meal, Kabeesh? LOL. When the funds are available. Hope you get what I am saying.
Tony

Chuck N

Good luck on your project.  Keep us formed.

Chuck

sniglet

The chassis come with the weight.

antfc

Thanks sniglet, good to know. Tony

antfc

Chuck, will keep you guys informed of my progress...next month I will get the boiler and attach to chassis. then I work on tender. Does boiler shell come with attaching screws? Thanks, Tony

BillBrakeman

Tony & Sniglet, When I ordered a version 5 Chassis from Bmann in October it did not come with a weight.  Did you order the version 5 or the version 6 chassis? Both are available and both are very good mechanisms.  My version 5 has been running for 10 years and I have had no major trouble s with it.

Another thought on a DIY weight.  get some steel shot or BBs from Scheels or Cabellas, or any other sporting goods concern and glue them into the boiler.  The small round size of them will be make it easier to fill the space.

Bill

antfc

Good idea Bill, I will check that out. BBs can really fill in a void quickly. Thanks for the info. Tony