News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z App First Impressions

Started by railtwister, December 04, 2015, 09:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

I just got my first E-Z App loco (a PRR Alco RS3) today and set it up on a test track on the dining room table for a trial run. I used an old MRC Tech II 2400 with the throttle knob set at about 3/4 power for the test. The first thing I noticed is that the loco would sit for a short time on powered track, but would eventually start moving if there is no BlueTooth signal. This effect seemed to be polarity sensitive, but I didn't take the time to fully test it out. Once the Bluetooth was powered up, the loco didn't show any further tendency to creep. For a controller, I was using an iPad Air, since my cell phone is too old (Apple 3GS) to be compatible. The app loaded onto my iPad with no drama in just a few minutes time. Turning the iPad on, it took me a second or two to initiate the start, and the loco began running as expected, with all controls functional. There were a few times when the unit seemed to get " confused" during a slow start with the bell on, where it would start to roll, then stall with the headlights flashing. This may have been a low voltage issue, since even at full throttle, the power pack is supposed to only put out 14 volts. I don't think it was caused by dirty track, because recovery was simple, just return the throttle to stop and try again, maybe with a bit more throttle this time. I tried operating at about half DC throttle power for just a few seconds, and the operation seemed to be the same, so the system seems pretty tolerant of voltage input

I only have the one loco to run at the moment, and the system recognizes it only as "Bachmann Loco", although I see there is an option to change it's name. I'm curious to see how it works with multiple locos, and wonder whether multi-unit loco sets will be possible, but if they're not, it's not a major issue, since my layout is fairly small, and large lash-ups would probably look out of place.

This coming Monday, I will take the loco and the iPad to a local library where our club is displaying modules in several scales for the Holidays, for a real system test, and will check out the range as well. So far, though, I like it, and I think this method of control has great potential. I may even have to get a newer phone now, since the iPad is a bit too big to hold and operate with just one hand. I'm also anxiously awaiting the release of the plug & play boards to convert existing DCC-Ready locos, since I have a few candidates in mind. :) :) :)

Bill in FtL

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I'm keeping an eye on this as I've been converting my O scale steam engines to Battery-Power, Remote-Control and I see BlueRail Trains may eventually offer a system for battery power.

So far I have converted 8 steamers, using a system offered by RCS in Australia.

Bob D.

railtwister

I'm looking forward to possibly using BlueTooth Control in O scale too. I have a LionChief Plus Mikado, which was my first O 3-rail loco, purchased last summer. Even though it's not to scale, I like it a lot, and have since purchased a couple of Williams diesels in O 3-rail as well, and would like to convert them to either R/C or BT. The operation of BlueTooth Control should have the same advantages as the LionChief system, and the two should work together, since the power requirements are similar. I'm not that interested in battery power at the moment, because of having to deal with the charging process (low battery levels on my iPad are trouble enough!).

Bill in FtL

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I'm getting well over 2 hours run time on both 9.6v NiMh and 11.1v LiPo batteries, but they still need a charge sooner or later.  I was going to charge them from the track but just wanted to get totally away from power to the track, so now I have charging jacks installed in each tender and plug the charger in whenever needed.

BobD.

Hunt

Quote from: railtwister on December 04, 2015, 09:15:21 PM

. . .  I used an old MRC Tech II 2400 with the throttle knob set at about 3/4 power for the test. The first thing I noticed is that the loco would sit for a short time on powered track, but would eventually start moving if there is no BlueTooth signal. . . .

Locomotive board has defaulted to DC Mode. Click Here to view video. 

I suggest the DC Mode as the default mode be changed in future firmware release.

wiley209

I'm planning on getting one of those E-Z App locomotives for my layout; probably the BNSF GP35.