Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann F7A and F7B DCC Ready

Started by jonathan, March 24, 2017, 08:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Thanks again, guys, for the kind words.

Here are the grabs painted.

At first they were black, but most of the clear photos I looked at showed grey grabs on the nose.  The paint is wet, and I haven't weathered the grabs.  The color will match better once that's done.  'nuff said.

Regards,

Jonathan

RBDNHM

Looks great.  I am curious what you used for the numbers?  Decals?

J3a-614

It does look great; I'm particularly impressed at how Jonathan got the paint to match.

That reminds me, what's a good choice for paint these days?  My supply of Floquil won't last forever!

jonathan

Thanks!

They are decals. A coat of gloss, decals, another coat of gloss, then dullcote.

Likewise, I miss my floquil. Now it's either testors or tamiya. Scalecoat is still available, but harder to come by.

Len

Badger has a fairly large selection of railroad colors. And most of the Scalecoat colors are available through Walthers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

Len,

I'm a rattle-can painter.  You say "Badger" and I say, "What language was that?"   ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

Just wanted to add:  The F7B unit was running a bit sporadically... so much so I decided to take the locomotive down to parade rest (disassemble).  Turns out, whomsoever was responsible for lubrication seemed to have missed the mark.  On the rear truck, the grease was all over the backs of the wheels, instead of in the gears.  Once I cleaned it all up and got lube in the right place, the pick up brushes could get to the backs of the wheels.  Now all it well.  By the way, these units are fairly easy to take apart and put back together... IF you take your time.  jv

Warflight

This is amazing work! I always look forward to your posts! (you give me SO many ideas!)

jonathan

Thanks for the kind words!

I was at a train show today and had an unusual impulse buy.  This is the sound value E7, which is one of the newer locomotives released by Bachmann:

It ran on the club's modular layout like a scalded dog! Perfect right out of the box.  Can pull great.  Just wish my passenger cars would track so well.

Now I need to study E7 photos to see what little details I can add.

Additionally, I have been getting tired of begging from DCC gurus to get my locos programmed, so...

This is a DCC programmer, called a SPROG.  It connects right to a PC with a USB port.  I downloaded the JMRI Decoder pro software, and made a quicky programming track (photo).  It works like a champ. Unfortunately it doesn't do that little jump thing when the programming is complete.  You go through a series of computer screens (windows) to set address, adjust sound... whatever.  Then hit save and you're done. Very excited about this little gem.

Regards,

Jonathan

Warflight

Ooh... I never heard of SPROG... I may have to look into that now! (when I build my layout, I want it to be DCC)

J3a-614

Jonathan, I'm looking at your nice BIG photo of the E-7, and overall it looks like you won't have as many holes to drill!   :)  It already has the standard hand rails, including the ones beside the nose door. 

Without photos in front of me, I would guess all you might need would be lift rings (which would have been from the factory), the two small hand grabs on the nose above the steps in the pilot, and the ladder rests and handrails over the windshield as you added to your F-unit (which would have been later modifications--these were mandated by the ICC later, the units didn't have them when new).

Of course at some point you'll want a second E for back-to-back operation, and a second F7 A-unit to get a nice A-B-A set. . .  :D

West Bound

Jonathan, I've used sprog for about 5 years. Program your EM-1 or other non sound value decoders that have all their CV's will really make you appreciate this. Also creating a complete roster makes programing a breeze for any little changes you want to do to any loco. -John West

jonathan

Thanks, guys.  John, yes, the SPROG is pretty neat.  I've also downloaded the software to a laptop, so I can be the guy that comes to shows ready to help program new locos.  Took me a bit to figure out how to do the basic programming. I will get into it more as time allows.

I will start a new thread when I'm ready to dismantle and detail the E7.  It really is an impressive runner right out of the box.  Doubt I will tinker at all with the mechanics.  As cool as two E7's would be, might be overkill on the layout.  :) Plus, I'd have to tinker with even more passenger cars... ugh.

I looked for another F7A at the train show, to make an A-B-A unit.  Great minds think alike!  Unfortunately, none were around.  There's always next time.  I have pulled 34 cars (boxcars and cabeese) so far. Went two hours like that and the A-B set never even got warm.

Regards,

Jonathan