Reprogramming default DCC sounds on Bachmann Steam Engine?

Started by Tom_C, January 08, 2016, 11:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_C

I have a 4-6-0 steam loco (28905, ET&WNC to be exact), and a EZ Command controller.  I am hoping my local train shop will be willing to reprogram my sound for me, and I want to be able to give them details so they will be more open to help and not have to page through the manuals to figure it out.

I want to move the default sounds normally activated by the throttle and put them on F9.  I want to do this so I can activate and deactivate those sounds without muting all sounds.  I also want to reduce the volume for those sounds by at least half.

I think the sounds I want to move are Exhaust Chuff and Snifter Valve.  I'd also like to move whatever sounds are normally active while the loco is sitting still, if that is possible.

Would anyone be kind enough to help a newbie? :)  Is it even possible to do that?

Hunt

The Function 9 (F9) button on the E-Z Command Control Center is not supported. Function buttons 1 through 8 and 10 are supported.  Also, Function 10 (F10) operates Function Zero (F0) on the decoder not F10.

Tom_C

Thanks for the info on F9.  So I'll ask the same question except substitute another F key... F5 seems like a good one since by default it is the Dynamo.

Hunt

Exhaust Chuff and Snifter Valve sound cannot be mapped (assigned) to a Function Key.
See Table F. Function Mapping Table, Tsunami Steam Sound User's Guide, Page 24

There is  CV 113 Quiet Mode Timeout Period,  Tsunami Technical Reference,  Page 58

Assuming the Bachmann On30 4-6-0 Configuration Variables Defaults file is accurate,
64 is the default value for
    CV 131  Exhaust Volume Control 
    CV 141  Snifter Valve Volume

To reduce volume by half , program
    CV 131 = 32
    CV 141 = 32

Tom_C

Ah, OK, thank you again.  So I guess since I cant map them I could just reduce the volume using those CVs?  64 is default, 32 is half, and then I just reduce them to zero if I want them off? If I can't map them then perhaps I just want them off completely.

I appreciate your help.

Tom

Hunt

Tom_C

That's what I don't want, because I want to sound the whistles or bells, but not have the other sounds running full time.  So, I want to just turn off the sounds while the train is running (since I can't program them to an F key) but be able to use the selectable sounds, which I can't do if I mute all sounds with F8.

This is for a seasonal display, and having the sounds on all the time is just too much noise, but I want to be able to select a few sounds when I want to.

Hunt

Replace the E-Z Command Control Center with a DCC system capable of programming by user supplied CV. Then you can adjust the volume of sounds by its CV even while locomotive is running.

Tom_C

OK, I bought a power cab.  Thought it would be prudent to have a programmer if I was going to have a dcc train.

Tried to program CVs 131 and 141.  Seemed pretty straight forward.  Except, it wasn't.  And now, the direction is backwards and the headlight seems to flash based on speed, and the horn, whistle and other functions don't work.

I guess I need to RTFM more carefully, and while I do that, is there a way to reset it back to default values so I can start over?

Tom_C

Programming CV 8 to 8 reset it to (what appears) to be default settings.

Hunt

Quote from: Tom_C on January 15, 2016, 05:57:37 PM
. . ..  And now, the direction is backwards and the headlight seems to flash based on speed, and the horn, whistle and other functions don't work.  . . .

The result of the decoder using what was incorrectly programmed and are things that did not need to be programmed.
Two examples,
   direction is backwards  -- the Direction bit was programmed to reverse
   headlight seems to flash based on speed -- a mismatch speed steps value was programmed

Hunt

Quote from: Tom_C on January 15, 2016, 08:45:19 PM
Programming CV 8 to 8 reset it to (what appears) to be default settings.

Yes, that sets all decoder CVs to their default value.

Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program CV 8 to 8 (can use either Service Mode* or Operations Mode** programming)
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight and backup light will blink simultaneously 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or lights come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

* Service Mode - NCE refers to as program on Program Track
   ** Operations Mode - NCE refers to as Programming On The Main

Tom_C

Thanks for the help. Here's a summary of what I adjusted, maybe it will help someone else.

CV 8 programmed to 8 resets everything to defaults.

These sounds are always on and the volume can be adjusted:

132 - Air pump volume
134 - Blower volume

These sounds are tied to throttle and volume can be adjusted:

131 - Exhaust chuff volume
141 - Sniffer valve volume

Power cycle after reset/programming*.  If I don't power cycle after any programming then the bell button controls the headlight. Power cycle clears it.