News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco 2-6-0 running off rails

Started by Kenmac, May 12, 2015, 12:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenmac

The Alco 2-6-0 Mogul that I bought a few months ago will not stay on the rails. It keeps running off, particularly on bends and points.
There seems to be a problem with the front bogie on the tender. When turned it catches on a little plate that is screwed to the u/side near the electric wires that go from tender to loco. Have tightened screws to no avail. The tender then derails pushing loco off. If I loosen bogie just makes problem worse.
Has anyone struck this problem.

rogertra

Quote from: Kenmac on May 12, 2015, 12:23:25 AM
The Alco 2-6-0 Mogul that I bought a few months ago will not stay on the rails. It keeps running off, particularly on bends and points.
There seems to be a problem with the front bogie on the tender. When turned it catches on a little plate that is screwed to the u/side near the electric wires that go from tender to loco. Have tightened screws to no avail. The tender then derails pushing loco off. If I loosen bogie just makes problem worse.
Has anyone struck this problem.

I just had a look under one of my tenders and I can't see this "little plate" you are referring to on my tenders.

I've not run into the problem as you describe but one of the issues with many Bachmann steam is the wires between tender and engine. These are many times way too long and have been known to drag along the track, this can vary between production batches and at other times the wires are just long.  The solution is to tuck them back into the tender but, this frequently causes the rather stiff wires to slightly lift the front of the tender which results in the front wheels of the tender derailing.

What I do on all my tenders, regardless of manufacturer and it's one used by many people, is to remove the tender body and to glue lead weights inside the front of the tender.  This extra weight will keep the front truck of the tender firmly on the rails and will hopefully solve your derailment problems.

Cheers

Roger T.

dasBM2-6-0

When I first got my 2-6-0 the pilot truck was loose....nearly to the point of falling OFF!!!:(
The loco would derail every few feet....I added a lead weight (read: fishing line weight....!!) under the pilot truck.....and....
No more problems!!:)
Good luck!! These little locos run well once they're "properly tuned"....;)

May your freight ALWAYS roll smoothly....and ON TIME!!

DAVE2744

Kenmac - I just checked, out of curiosity, my 1 yr old B'mann Mogul.  I see the plate you are talking about.  The plate has a long rectangular cutout on one edge, and a small semi-circular cutout on the other edge.  Make sure the long cutout is closet to the engine.  This allows room for the wires to flex.  Also, the wires should be laying flat and parallel to each other, not twisted around each other.  Notice also, the drawbar, link between engine and tender, has two holes in the rear end.  I use the last hole to allow swing room for the tender and engine on my 18" curves.  Use of the last hole also tends to keep the wires up away from the rails.  My B'mann Mogul is one sweet runner.  Just wish I could get the starting speed a little slower.  Hope this helps - Dave Kelley

rogertra

Now I see that plate you are talking about.  I didn't notice it as it was hidden under the wires and the tender drawbar.

As that's a flush fit, or at least it should be, I don't see how your truck could be hitting it.

I still think the problem is the wires.

dasBM2-6-0.

I remove all the pressure springs on my steam loco trucks and have zero derailment issues, other than those caused by not paying attention and trailing through a closed switch.  D'oh! 

It's the quality of the track laying that causes most derailments, not the looseness or not of the truck.  But your mentioning add weight to the truck is a good idea.  My tenders are also all close coupled but then again, I use 30" minimum radius curves.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Bachmann steam locomotives, like all model  steam locomotives, need to have a good "look-see" when removed from the box.  Nothing is perfect, and sometimes, there is an excess of conductors between the loco and tender; usually pushing the excess into the tender works.  Pony wheels can be a little finicky.  There are several possible antidotes for that pony problem; usually some weight, as suggested, will work; sometimes the spring needs your attention.
Track-work can also jump up and give you grief untold with a locomotive that has a proclivity to derail at the slightest provocation.
Generally, Bachmann locomotives are an excellent model, especially for the price.  I have brass locomotives I have had more agita from than any Bachmann product, so I speak from experience I really wish I hadn't had... 
As in life, nothing is either perfect-or forever; and human attempts at either are...well, you know...
SGT C.

Kenmac

Thanks for all the replies.  Will try adding weights to tender. The little plate appears to lock the wires in place, it can only go in one way since the little semi circular hole goes around the draw bar pin. Mine does not appear to be tightened right down, space underneath. Will take off and check that the wires are not doubled up under it.
Also had some problems with front bogie, tried weights didn't fix, will lengthen spring, see how that goes.
Won't be able to check for a while, have just ripped up all my tracks to put in a new layout, wasn't happy with my first one.
Used software called "SCARM" (Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller)to design layout. Very good, particularly as its free.

rickm

i just purchased an Alco 2-6-0 New York Central. It will not stay on the rail. I have had to remove the front wheels to keep it working properly. Now, there is a small spring which holds the wheels down, but I am thinking that this spring does not apply enough tension. I went over my entire layout, making sure every turn was correct, and all tracks match properly, but it will not run with the front 2 wheels!

rogertra

Quote from: rickm on January 24, 2016, 06:00:36 PM
i just purchased an Alco 2-6-0 New York Central. It will not stay on the rail. I have had to remove the front wheels to keep it working properly. Now, there is a small spring which holds the wheels down, but I am thinking that this spring does not apply enough tension. I went over my entire layout, making sure every turn was correct, and all tracks match properly, but it will not run with the front 2 wheels!

I remove ALL those springs on my steam.  Newton's third law applies.  For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

You haven't said what wheels derail.  The pilot truck, or the driving wheels.  Most important we know which.

So you've removed the pilot wheels, so I'm guessing they are the ones that derail?

There are three main reasons for derailments.

1)  Poorly laid track.

2)  Wheels out of gauge.

3)  Pilot truck not having enough flexibility. 

Does the engine derail only in one spot?  If yes, then it's probably poorly laid track.

If it derails in several places it could again be (1) poorly laid track or, (2) wheels out of gauge or (3) pitot truck not moving enough.

As you've said the engine runs fine without the truck, try reinstalling the truck without the spring and see if that works.

Get back to us.

Cheers

Roger T.