News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC ?

Started by dragonbusa, September 19, 2019, 12:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonbusa

Hello, my layout consist of two separate loops, an upper and lower. When I convert to DCC if I wire them both with a common busline will I be able to operate on both loops with the same control? I'm going with the NCE power cab. Each loop is around 40-45 feet of track. Thanks for any input.

Nathan

Here is a good place to learn about DCC:

https://dccwiki.com/Main_Page

Nathan

rich1998

Welcome.

You should be able to as long as you do not have a reverse loop in the upper or lower. You will need a dcc reverser if you do.
We needed a reverser at a crossover also.
I use to run three HO sound locos with my Power Cab. Non sound, maybe a couple more. The Power Cab will cut out if too many. Mine did. My Power Cab showed me how much current but that was some years ago. The Cab has a nice current display.
Our club used #14 wire and #24 feeders and a five amp NCE Power Pro. I could bring my Cab.
Give it a try. Experiment.
The Smart Booster is a nice Add On for more power. Look it up at NCE site.
Rich

Gearedenginefreak

The PowerCab with control chip for version 1.65b is capable of running 6 locomotives at a time. That assumes newer generation locs with low current draw motors. If you are running some older open frame motors. It could be a lot less.
Don't go with just a single pair of wires hooked to the track. You will get too much voltage loss and lose performance and control. You need to run a power bus of heavier guage wire from the pcp panel. 12 guage is best, 14 is acceptable. Then drop short feeders  from your track to the bus evety 3 feet or so. Best practice is every piece of rail gets a feeder. Dont rely on track joiners as feeder drops unless you solder the joiners to the rails.
As was already pointed out, if you have any return loops, it takes a reverser to keep from shorting out.
Welcome to the adventure. It is a fun way to experience our trains.

Tom

dragonbusa

Thanks for the info guys, not reverse loops. And yes i'm gonna run a large bus with feeders. Also the joints are soldered already. Again thanks, DCC COMING TO A LAYOUT NEAR ME!

Trainman203

Once you go DCC and SOUND, there is NO GOING BACK.

Except in the case of what used to be our model railroad club here.  8 years ago the club was evicted and lost a large beautiful layout.  Homeless, they started a little temporary  layout in a community center with leftover code 83 track and some of the old DCC components.  After a while they were taken in by a wealthy tinplate collector who was creating a small museum of sorts to house and display his stuff.  The little layout rapidly regressed to a Thomas Kincaide Christmas Village type thing ("for the children," I was told), at which point I left the club.  Last month I visited it and saw the unbelievable.  They had replaced the code 83 track with code 100 and had gotten rid of the DCC, going back to DC power packs.  Why, I asked.  Because lots of visitors give them Paw Paw's old Tyco train set but unfortunately they expect to see it running there too.

rich1998

Most important. If you want sound, look oinline for Bachmann HO DCC Sound Value for better prices. Ask here for sources.
Even if you do not want sound there are good prices online. Ebay is a gamble. Private sales also unless you can see the loco run say at a train show.
Amazon has free shipping with certain things depending on the price with free returns. I use Amazon a lot but not for trains.

Rich

HoModeler

rich1998

If you can get to a show with layouts, try a couple systems. I did and found the NCE Power Cab easier to program. A booster add on for five amps is not expensive.
Digital control of model trains is evolving. Some use iPads or iPhones. DCC is only one method. The NMRA way.

Rich