News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newest Freight Car

Started by rogertra, January 14, 2016, 11:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Quote from: J3a-614 on January 26, 2016, 11:22:40 PM
One other thing I might add, and that is those wheels, painted or unpainted, didn't stay clean for long in the days of plain bearings.  Those bearings always had some oil leaking out the back seal, and it didn't take too long for it to coat the wheels, where the oil also attracted and held dirt.  I well recall how freight cars wheels were coated with this black, shiny greasy stuff.  

I seem to recall one fellow suggesting the real look for freight cars wheels in the plain bearing era would be to paint them glossy or semi-glossy black with something like baking soda mixed in the paint.

EDIT:  Wasn't looking for this, but here we have a Wabash Blue Bird observation car on what was by that thime the Norfolk & Western, and clearly with a silver rear coupler.  Date:  1966

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1559470407678224&set=a.1441806412777958.1073741827.100008458391209&type=3&theater

Found on another site: - 

The prohibition appears in the AAR Field Manual of Interchange Rules; Rule 16, Section E, item 4: "Coupler bodies must not be painted."

FRA regulations of couplers and draft systems appear in section 215. Although not specifically mentioned; paint would interfere with inspection for cracks, therefore it would be reasonable to assume that FRA would take exception on that basis.

Notice it's an Interchange rule.  Therefore, if that passenger car is not interchanged, the couplers, draft gear, etc., etc., can be painted.  That explains why couplers on steam engines were frequently painted, because steam engines were not interchanged but freight cars are.

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

Not just the coupler on that Wabash 'Blue Bird' observation car. Check out the chains and hose fittings hanging below the coupler.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.