News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newest Freight Car

Started by rogertra, January 14, 2016, 11:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Latest addition to the GER rolling stock fleet, thanks to friend WoundedBear.

Thanks Sid.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

Glad you could use it Roger. It turned out to be waaaaay too new for my layout. Looks right at home there.

BTW.....here's the thread where I showed how I did the paint on that car.........

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,31255.0.html

Sid

rogertra

Quote from: WoundedBear on January 15, 2016, 09:20:37 AM
Glad you could use it Roger. It turned out to be waaaaay too new for my layout. Looks right at home there.

BTW.....here's the thread where I showed how I did the paint on that car.........

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,31255.0.html

Sid

Thanks for reposting Sid.

BTW, my wife now has my original land line number as her new cell phone number, yes, I bought her a cell phone for Christmas.  I'll PM you my own cell phone number.

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Wayne.

Nice collection there and some nice work as well.

Cheers

Roger T.

J3a-614

Quote from: rogertra on January 19, 2016, 08:09:44 PM
Wayne.

Nice collection there and some nice work as well.

Cheers

Roger T.

And I concur!

I also look at the classic equipment here, both passenger and freight, and of course the steam locomotives--and I wonder why anyone would want to model the diesel era!   :D

And that brings to mind--we've seen steam locomotives, doodlebugs, box cars, flats, hoppers (including a rare carbon black hopper), tank cars, reefers, express cars, some passenger cars--but so far no cabooses!

I'm now curious as to what brings up the rear of trains for both the doctor and Roger. . . ::)

rogertra

Quote from: J3a-614 on January 20, 2016, 03:05:24 PM

And I concur!

I also look at the classic equipment here, both passenger and freight, and of course the steam locomotives--and I wonder why anyone would want to model the diesel era!   :D

And that brings to mind--we've seen steam locomotives, doodlebugs, box cars, flats, hoppers (including a rare carbon black hopper), tank cars, reefers, express cars, some passenger cars--but so far no cabooses!

I'm now curious as to what brings up the rear of trains for both the doctor and Roger. . . ::)

Now you mention it, that's a good point.  I don't think I've any photos where my vans are the subject.  I'll have to remedy that.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

Woody Elmore

I don't know which is better - the models or the photography. Kudos for great work. I grew up looking at cars from Canada. How about a  CP box car - the one with the "CP spans the world" slogan in script writing and, if I remember, there was the outline of a steamship.

Speaking of the CP, Canada once hosted the renowned British steamer the Flying Scotsman. I remember seeing picture of it with a big old bell mounted on the front platform. This coming month the Scotsman will reappear as the preservation group has the loco ready to go. It is the first locomotive to go 100 in Britain and to tour three continents. I'm sure that Bachmann UK is firing up their OO models (if they already haven't!) I read where it will be restored to it's former LNER paint scheme. A great locomotive saved - it only took beacoup Euros!

rogertra

Quote from: Woody Elmore on January 21, 2016, 02:37:51 PM
I don't know which is better - the models or the photography. Kudos for great work. I grew up looking at cars from Canada. How about a  CP box car - the one with the "CP spans the world" slogan in script writing and, if I remember, there was the outline of a steamship.

Speaking of the CP, Canada once hosted the renowned British steamer the Flying Scotsman. I remember seeing picture of it with a big old bell mounted on the front platform. This coming month the Scotsman will reappear as the preservation group has the loco ready to go. It is the first locomotive to go 100 in Britain and to tour three continents. I'm sure that Bachmann UK is firing up their OO models (if they already haven't!) I read where it will be restored to it's former LNER paint scheme. A great locomotive saved - it only took beacoup Euros!

Scotsman's 1968-1972 North American tour: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOHqycaNjM4

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Canadian Pacific Railway.

May have, as the slogan says, "Spans the World" but it didn't span Canada.

By the way, the script wasn't introduced until 1963.

I found this out after I'd purchased a few script boxcar for my 1958 GER.  D'oh!

Had to remove the script and replace it with the stepped "CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY."

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Quote from: doctorwayne on January 22, 2016, 10:08:24 PM
Quote from: rogertra on January 21, 2016, 08:03:34 PM
Canadian Pacific Railway.

May have, as the slogan says, "Spans the World" but it didn't span Canada.

Not with rails, but they had ships in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Quote from: rogertra on January 21, 2016, 08:03:34 PM

By the way, the script wasn't introduced until 1963.....

If that were the case, C-D-S made an awful lot of incorrect lettering sets.  The earliest they show is a plugdoor grain car with a date of 1954 - I believe the catalogue date to be a misprint based solely on the car type, as I'd place the car's design as '60s - perhaps '64 rather than '54.
Other than that one, '58 and '59 are the most commonly used dates, but that's for the original small version of the script lettering.  
Later, in the mid-to late-'60s, the size of the script lettering grew so much that some 50' boxcars had CANADIAN to the left of the door and PACIFIC to the right of it.

Rail Canada Vol. 3 shows S-11 switchers in their as-delivered in 1959 script lettering.
I couldn't find much about the history of CPR's script lettering, but I think that Al is a bit off with the timeline on it - as I recall, it pre-dated CNR's 1960 roll-out of their "wet-noodle" lettering, although I can't say for sure by how much.

Wayne

Wayne.

It gets confusing but looking into it more I think you are correct and it was introduced in 1959.

Cheers

Roger T.

Ken Clark

CPR record's indicate the slogan "Spans the World" was used from 1946 until 1949.
So I would have to say CDS got it right, stepped Canadian Pacific Railway began in 1951.

Ken Clark
      GWN

jonathan

Ok. Trying to do this with an iPad mini. Tough going. Really really like all the effort on these cars by roger and Wayne. A bit of weathering and extra details makes them pop. Just attached my latest weathereding effort.

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Which reminds me, a few months ago I replaced lots of plastic wheels on freight cars with metal ones.  Probably 50 plus cars so as to conform to the new rule, no plastic wheels!

Seeing these great photos reminds me, I really should paint the sides of those nice and ever so shiny freight car wheels.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Is this new rule a personal rule or a club rule? Because replacing the wheels on 50+ cars... That's 200+ metal wheelsets you had to buy. Ouch.