News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

No Longer A Dummy!

Started by RkyGriz, January 18, 2016, 03:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

I finally made a decision on what to do with my dummy Anniversary Edition 4-6-0. The decision was made the day before yesterday after I went online to the Bachmann parts website and saw that the version 5 chassis is no longer on sale for $55.00 and is now $125.00, which is the same price as the new version 6 chassis with improved lead truck. That plus the shipping, and sales tax brought the order to more than $170.00. That, plus the pricing of a brand new Anniversary loco and tender ($ 213.50 with free shipping and no sales tax) convinced me that this was the way to go.
So, armed with this new pricing knowledge I attacked the problem by reducing my fleet of 4-6-0 locos by 1 ( the unpowered dummy!). I began by disassembling the #14 dummy and then disassembling the #25 Virginia & Truckee standard 4-6-0 locomotive. Now, remember that the dummy is a full Anniversary Edition loco-it just isn't powered while the #25,while a standard edition loco, was equipped with a powered Anniversary chassis by me 3 years ago. So the solution to my problem was to take the powered Anniversary chassis , number plate ,and cab from the #25 and install them on the #14 Anniversary Edition dummy which resulted in a full, powered #25 Anniversary Edition Virginia & Truckee locomotive and partial Anniversary Edition tender( a full upgrade to Anniversary Edition tender, while available, is not in my current budget and will be a possible future project). Now, mind you, she still looks a tad rough as she needs a coat of satin black paint on both the steam and sand domes and #25 decals for the headlight and sand dome, but I think that she's looking great otherwise and I'm pleased with the results so far. I've posted a video of her in operation to youtube and you can see her here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZP9E-r7qqY
I have been considering my options for the left over boiler, cab,etc from the job. I may reassemble what's left into a powered loco at a later date if I can find a powered chassis cheap enough. But for now the dummy is "retired".
Later!
Andrew

Joe Zullo

Looking really good!  ;) You did the right thing.

RkyGriz

A Trainman

Good Job RkyGriz!

If your feeling ambitious, you could order a complete motor assembly for $60.00 and put it in your "dummy" chassis.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_623&products_id=5227

I know your "dummy" didn't come with any electrical parts, But, (now comes the ambitious part) you could use a couple thin strips of copper or brass for the drive wheel electrical pickups and a couple wires soldered to the Pilot wheels assembly.
Or, I just found this...

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_148&products_id=8854

Just look how your other chassis are wired. Note: If you double check all your wiring and for correct rotation, before final assembly, then you won't need a polarity switch behind the smoke box cover.
Really, If you changed the chassis, you could go a few steps further and replace the motor/wheel assembly.

This way for about 75 bucks you'd have another engine.

This is the kind of stuff I enjoy about this hobby ;D

If someone originally put it together, SO CAN YOU!

Adam

Old John

RkyGriz

Another option would be to contact Barry"s Big Trains for one of his replaced Bachmann 4-6-0 motors, he used to sell them for $5.00 plus shipping. Barry can be reach via this Board.

RkyGriz

Hi. Thank you Adam and Old John for the excellent suggestions. I'm not really sure what to do with it right now. I'm thinking about parting out what's left and selling it on Ebay this weekend. If I don't do that, then I'll likely just leave it in its' box for the time being. There is a slim possibility that I may bid on one of 3 different standard chassis that are around $40.00-$50.00 with shipping on Ebay right now. I've been watching the bidding on them for the last couple of days. They're interesting due to the fact that they've been upgraded with swing arm front pilots from Barry's Big Trains. They expire later tonight (1/20/16), so we'll see and I'll let you know it I get one of them.
Question: Can Anniversary Edition drive rods and steam chests be placed on a standard chassis without replacing the wheels or other modifications such as drilling and tapping the wheels where the plastic pins that hold the drive rods in place?
Thanks!
Andrew

A Trainman

Hi RkyGriz,

I think you could remove the wheels from the "dummy" drive axle and put them on the Big Hauler motor drive axle. (remove the rod screws, unscrew counterclockwise, slide the rods off, from the rear of the wheel push out the plastic center spokes and counterweight insert, behind that you'll find the Philips head screw that holds the wheel on the axle. Reassemble in reverse.) Then swap the front two drivers complete into the Big Hauler chassis. I'm not completely sure about the steam chest assy. but I think that it would fit. the only problems I've heard of is the air tanks might hit the top of the steam chest.
The tanks on my V&T #25 fit perfectly when I installed an Anny. chassis under it, but I noticed the tanks on my Southern #8254 were a little further forward and would have to be mover rearward to clear the larger Anny. steam chests.   

Hope this helps, have fun!!

Adam

RkyGriz

I didn't get any of the 3 chassis's  that were on Ebay. They were bid up beyond my budget. But there is another much cheaper (for now) chassis available on Ebay right now. If it will only stay under about $15.00...  I'll have to wait and see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed here!
Andrew

A Trainman

RkyGriz