News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Transformers

Started by LarryA, January 18, 2016, 05:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryA

I currently have a 4 x 12 layout. I am adding to it. When I am done the total will be 4 x 12. I am using an ez command dcc controller with an analog controller for my dc locomotive. Will my current controller setup up be enough or do I need a booster or a larger transformer. At this point the most I run at one time is 1 dcc and 1 dc engine at the same time.

JerryB

First, the need for more power is generally not directly related to the size of the layout, but rather the number of locomotives and other powered equipment running simultaneously.

Second, since your 4x12 layout is not changing in size (still 4x12 per your post), this question doesn't seem to make any sense.

What am I missing?

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

LarryA

Sorry. I am adding connecting an additional oval and siding on the additional 4x4 space. However for the time being I am just 2 engines. At some point I may add another dcc engine.

jward

since the ez command has limited power you may need to add a booster or replace it with another dcc system if you try to run too many locomotives. this is especially true if you are going to be running sound equipped locomotives as their current draw is a lot higher than a regular dcc locomotive.

or, you could look into dc block control and wire your layout in this manner. even though you are running dcc, the ability to turn off the power to certain tracks of your choosing will allow you to significantly reduce the overall power consumption of your layout. remember a decoder equipped locomotive is drawing power even when it isn't running.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

LarryA