Hawthorne village US Navy Train DCC Conversion

Started by FTG1SS, January 19, 2016, 02:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTG1SS

I have an old (10+ yrs) Hawthorne village US Navy Train that I want to convert to DCC.  I believe that this is an F7A locomotive.  I have researched the schematics and basic "how to's" so I have a little understanding of what to do but wanted to know if there are any guidelines/instructions to follow?   Engine runs now on DC.

Thanks in advance. 

Len

If your loco has a 'can' motor, installing a DCC decoder will be similar to this:

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/EMD%20F9/EMD_F9.html

The techniques are the same, regardless of the brand decoder used.

If the loco has a 'pancake' motor (motor built into one of the wheel assemblies), it's not worth the effort to convert.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

FTG1SS

This is perfect - thanks.   I do have the "can" motor.  All of the write-ups and vids I have read/watched so far do not address the issue of the chassis wipers on the trucks.  I was really worried that if I cut them like this shows I was going to mess it up!  Thanks again.

ACY

An alternative and easier method would be to purchase any Bachmann F7 with DCC and just swap the shells if you are not confident in your abilities at this time.

FTG1SS

That thought had entered my mind but half the fun of something like this is doing it!   Retired now and have all the time I need.... and what the heck - if I screw it up then I can always fall back to buying new!    :P

jbrock27

I say go for it !! :)

That is a great tutorial Len provided.

*Instead of using an Xacto to scrap the paint from the truck spring (wiper), you might have an easier time getting the paint off, by taking a Q-tip dipped in either Denatured Alcohol or 90% Isopropyl Alcohol to the end of the spring.  Just don't slosh it around on anything else.  Then if you wanted to rough up the surface for some reason before soldering, you could take a needle file or emery paper,  to the end of the spring.
Keep Calm and Carry On