News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams U33C

Started by Bob Banjany, January 20, 2016, 11:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Banjany

I have a WBB U33c Blue/Yellow Santa Fe.. and I also have the same issue with a Semi scale Berkshire..After they are running for 5 or 10 minutes the speed decreases significantly... They have plenty of power running on a Lionel ZW.. They do the same if using an MTH Z-1000 or CW-80.. Is this a motor issue or a problem with the FNR board..? Maybe a bad Op amp..? Maybe a Williams tech can offer some direction..

Thanks,
Bob Banjany

phillyreading

Do the engines run well on the ZW? I know you say the engines slow down after 5 to 10 minutes on the smaller transformers, but does the ZW do the same thing?
Also are you using these engines with lighted passenger car or cabooses? Lights do add to the power needs. If using more then 4 lighted passenger cars you may need a more powerful transformer then a 100 watt one.

Lee F.

Bob Banjany

Does the same thing on the ZW as well.. This never did this before, seems like this just started a few months ago..I have over 200 Williams/WBB locos and am not looking forward to this problem if it starts to spread.. I would like to figure out what component is breaking down and replace it instead of the whole control bd.

Bachmann ... !!! Can you help ..???

I havent gotten a response from you yet .. ?????/

3rail

Bob,

I know that the Brass Sharks had an older power transistor reverse boards (the early U boats had them too.) The transistors would sometimes overheat, so we started adding heatsinks to them and this solved the problem. If you do not have heatsinks, you may need to resolder the transistors and add heatsinks. We started using a new design in the mid 90's.

If you still have difficulties call our service department during business hours.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Regards,

3rail

Bob Banjany

The U33 blue/yellow Santa Fe I am having issue with does have the 4 power transistors heat synced together..Yet I am having this issue..Not sure which particular transistor is the issue, maybe I will just change all 4..? Thoughts..?

Thank you.. Bob

Bob Banjany

Just another thought..The Brass Shark, does NOT have heat syncs but I did heat sync them myself, but no change.. So I replaced the control bd..