News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-4

Started by dick, January 21, 2016, 11:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dick

What is the smallest diameter turn I can use with the Bachmann HO 2-8-4 Berkshire Steam with tender?

Bucksco

Minimum radius would be 22 inch.

dick

Then that would be a 44 inch diameter is that correct? Seems real big for a HO set up. I thought that I had seen somewhere that
they would work on a 32 diam turn. If the diameter is that large I guess the two HO 2-8-4's I have are of no use to me.

jbrock27

It would appear, there are 2 different languages being spoken here...
Keep Calm and Carry On

dick

Isn't diameter two times the radius?

Bucksco

Yes - it would be a 44 inch circle.

rogertra

Quote from: dick on January 21, 2016, 11:59:05 AM
Then that would be a 44 inch diameter is that correct? Seems real big for a HO set up. I thought that I had seen somewhere that
they would work on a 32 diam turn. If the diameter is that large I guess the two HO 2-8-4's I have are of no use to me.

Many of us "scale" modellers use 30 to 36 inch minimum radius curves.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

dick

So you are using 60 to 72 inch diameter since diameter is twice the radius. That is getting close to what I use with some set ups on my Garden railroad [ G Scale ]. I use anywhere from 7ft to 9ft on the G Scale.

rogertra

Quote from: dick on January 21, 2016, 03:56:13 PM
So you are using 60 to 72 inch diameter since diameter is twice the radius. That is getting close to what I use with some set ups on my Garden railroad [ G Scale ]. I use anywhere from 7ft to 9ft on the G Scale.

Yes, except I have no circles.  I have a 10 foot wide by 33 foot long room and, for the present, the railway runs around the walls with the centre currently open, though it may end up with a narrow peninsula for a branch line.  In fact, at one end of the room, the curve radius is about 48 inches.  Not sure as I've never measured it as it's also a compound curve with two radii.

Cheers

Roger T.

ryeguyisme

I model 26 inch to 33 inch radius curves for my modern rock mountain mallets, of course I should add it's all on a 10' x 18' banquet table setup(for now I'm in development of a module system)

I used to use a lot of 22 inch radius as a minimum but found it hindered my ability to run larger engines(twice the length of  the Berkshire) and lengthy passenger cars. Broader curves allow for more realistic mainline run where 18 inch radius and 22 inch radius is more suitable for branchline routes. But realism aside, its your railroad and you can have 22 inch radius as a mainline as well :) I would advise you go slightly larger than a 4' x 8' layout and go with a 5' x 9' or 5' x 10' layout to comfortably run track around.

Hope this helps!

ryeguyisme

Quote from: ryeguyisme on January 21, 2016, 09:07:53 PM
I model 26 inch to 33 inch radius curves for my modern rocky mountain mallets, of course I should add it's all on a 10' x 18' banquet table setup(for now I'm in development of a module system)

I used to use a lot of 22 inch radius as a minimum but found it hindered my ability to run larger engines(twice the length of  the Berkshire) and lengthy passenger cars. Broader curves allow for more realistic mainline run where 18 inch radius and 22 inch radius is more suitable for branchline routes. But realism aside, its your railroad and you can have 22 inch radius as a mainline as well :) I would advise you go slightly larger than a 4' x 8' layout and go with a 5' x 9' or 5' x 10' layout to comfortably run track around.

Hope this helps!

Irbricksceo

I have double loops on a 4*8, 18 radius and 22 radius. The 2-8-4 makes it around the 18, but barely. You'll find that most small-mid locos need 18 or 22, and most large need 22+. I'd love the room to use larger curves but.... space is tight.
Modeling NYC in N