News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Standard 4-6-0 Loco

Started by alan295, January 22, 2016, 02:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan295

As a newbie, I bought a standard (not anniversary) 4-6-0 in AT&SF livery on ebay.  I converted it to battery and radio control and it runs well.  Been looking on the forum and the parts catalog and notice that I need to identify the model number for any major parts purchases.  How do I find out what I've got, age, etc.  I have no documentation of any sort.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Alan,

Hope you are enjoying your purchase.  The problem is that the standard 4-6-0 in ATSF was pretty common, even worse several different chassis versions in ATSF have the same number on the side of the cab.  All this makes identification very difficult.

If I have more info I am sure I can help.  Did you buy it as a set? or just the locomotive??  A cab number might help identify it as would a photo of the bottom of the chassis.

See if you can identify the chassis style from the list below, it will be version 1 thru 5.

Big Hauler 4-6-0 Chassis Version Identification  by Bill Canelos                 Copyright 1989-2016 by Bill Canelos All rights reserved.                  
Version 1  1988-1990  Battery Powered R/C Units                                 
Version 2  1990-1994  Smooth Bottom Cover  You can turn drivers by hand and motor will turn                                 
Version 3  1994-1998  Smooth Bottom Cover You cannot turn the drivers by hand                                 
Version 4  1998-1999  Large wide hump dead center between the rear drivers on bottom cover                                 
Version 5  2000-Pres  3/8th inch wide hump offset between the rear drivers and a plastic lubrication plug the size of a dime to the rear of the hump..                                 
Version 6  2011-Pres  New Chassis for Annie only, has metal gears and new front truck identifiable only by the new front truck                                 
Note that the dates overlap and as of Feb 1, 2012 have not been fixed more precisely, but all new sets introduced in 1999 with the VHS instructions were version 5                                 
These  sets were 90032,33,34,35,and 37                                 
All Big Hauler 4-6-0's manufactured after 2000 have the version 5 chassis, all new sets after 2000 have it as well.                                 
As of Feb 2012 Sets have version 5 chassis but all new Annies produced from late 2011 have the version 6 chassis it remains unclear if version 6 chassis will be included in sets   

If you give me the chassis version number and the cab number I can probably nail it down.  Let me know.

Loco Bill                              
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

alan295

Bill:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Cab number 49 (like in the song).

Must be chassis version 2 since the bottom is smooth and I can turn the wheels by hand.  Drive gears are plastic and rather noisy.

Have run the loco and tender with a baggage car, combine and two passenger cars.  Would like to get maybe two more passenger cars for a nice look.  Our Pacific NW garden railway group has a modular 50' by 50' layout we take to local shows and just had it in Portland, OR, last weekend and the train looked good.

By the way - I was looking at your new indoor layout and can only say wow!

Alan

Loco Bill Canelos

Alan,

Thanks for the compliments, I really need to post an update as I have finished the trackwork for the mainline and added a yard and a Wye.  I will need to get busy on some scenery!!

As for your locomotive, It is either from one of the following two sets, but was also sold as a separate item.  Both sets and the separately boxed locomotive were exactly the same including the number 49.

90011*   ATSF   Thunderbolt Express   1989   1992   Freight   49   Ver 2   Vic Gold Min Gon  #328    ATSF Bob Cab #425   
90011   Notes:   Catalog set from 1989 to 1992                        
90012*   ATSF   Red Comet   1990?   Ltd Run   Mixed   49   Ver2   Rath Boxcar RPRX#608   B&O Flat #1525   ATSF Combine #24
90012   Notes:   Not Cataloged                           

Regrettably your loco is an old model as you no doubt noticed when seeing it was a version 2 chassis.  The version 2 chassis was the first track powered chassis and unfortunately there were many problems with the gearboxes and they did not last long before breaking down.  Adding more cars might hasten problems with it, as a minimum I would be sure the gears are well greased with a good plastic compatible grease. 

If you get a second 4-6-0 standard line locomotive, be absolutely sure you get one with a version 5 chassis.  If you go for an Anniversary 4-6-0 get the version six.  Use the chassis identification as your guide.  Knowledge is power!!!!

Have fun with with your 4-6-0!!

Bill

alan295

So, to take this to a conclusion, can I buy a replacement chassis of the version 5 that will fit my loco?  Looking at the Bachmann parts catalog, the 90011 and 90012 don't show up as a replacement, but would one of the others fit?  Even if the colors were wrong, I can handle that.

Alan

Loco Bill Canelos

Yes they will all work, and they are all version 5.   The major difference is the colors and in some cases they will have the old time pilot rather than the modern pilot(cowcatcher).

This one has no colors and is all black except for the white tire rims:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_669&products_id=5868

Natural Bob

I'm new to this forum as I'm normally an HO guy but  my sister found an old large scale set at a garage sale.  It has a 4-6-0 locomotive missing it's battery cover and I failed at getting one as this seems an old D cell battery type.  It has a #90-0100-49 and "operates on 49 MHz" and I guess it's supposed to have a radio controller.  My question is would it work without the RC device just to go around it's tracks (plastic) for my grandson's entertainment?  I imagine I could jerry rig a battery cover with foil to complete the DC circuit, but I don't want to waste much more money on it if I can't.  The part I ordered online that I thought would work is the front boiler cover (which it needed anyway).

Hunt

Natural Bob,

Anything you do to revive the locomotive you have is a waste of time and money.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,

Gotta agree with Hunt, don't try to fix it.  The RC control on this was weak to begin with even when it worked.  Try to find a Bachmann version 5 chassis 4-6-0 instead.  They are very reliable and track powered, so you would need metal track. 

You can always use the broken one for decoration next to an engine house.

Have Fun.

Loco Bill

Natural Bob

Thanks, Bill and Hunt, I spent money on parts that will enhance it esthetically as a ruin on a siding.  Bill, I saw so many helpful posts of yours I did more searching and suspected I had gotten an answer from you for someone else that said what I feared to be true.  I also saw a mention of pictures of your layout but couldn't find a link to that.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,

I failed to welcome you to large scale, so WELCOME!!  Be careful or you might get addicted ;D.  I used to be an HO modeler many years ago, but Bachmann put out that beautiful 4-6-0 and I was hooked, later my son bought me a Spectrum 2-6-0 and that sealed the deal.  Since my move to Colorado about a year ago, I have started a new Large scale layout in my basement and crawl space.  I have been lazy about posting an update to an earlier post about it.

Here is a link to my old post:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,29963.0.html

I have since built a wye, added sidings for industries, completed the double track mainline, and built a fair sized yard.  I still have to finish a hidden staging track in the crawl space.   Once the staging track is done, the track work will be finished.  I will then focus on scenery and structures.  I am going in for repairs(surgery) tomorrow but as soon as I recover I will post an update.

Bill

Natural Bob

Thanks, again, Bill, I'll take a look.  I'm probably moving where there would be less room for outdoor but more for indoor.  Where I live now is a flood plain so neither my yard nor my basement are safe locations.  However as money for hobbies is limited I'll probably stick with HO (famous last words?) and my next basement will have to share space for a workshop and a music room.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,

Whatever you do trains are fun and what ever is best for you is the only way to go.  Maybe you could get a starter set for that grandson(you could play with it too ;D :D ;)).   The large scale sets seem to be easier to handle for the younger folks.  RLDhobbies.com and Trainworld seem to have the lowest prices, but shipping can be a killer.

Good luck with your move.

Bill

Natural Bob

All good info, Bill, but I keep thinking there has to be a way to bypass the RC controls of this loco and direct wire the motor to the batteries just get what I have working, even if it would only go one speed.

Loco Bill Canelos

Well Bob, I suppose you could do that, but why???   Just open it up and cut the leads from the battery box to the receiver at the receiver. Cut the wires to the motor at the receiver, attach the two and it will go but only in one direction and only at full speed assuming the battery is fully charged. If it goes backwards reverse the battery wires.  If it does not fall off the track it at full speed it will run til it slows down and the battery weakens.  To get reversing you would need to install a double pole double throw switch preferably with a center off so you could shut it down without removing the batteries.

But again Why??  it will never run in the intended way with no speed control. If just to experiment and learn I can understand, but to me it is better as a dummy, or just take the gears out of it and let your grandson push it around the track or add a working front coupler and use the dummy as a doubleheader locomotive til the plastic wheels wear off.

Just my opinion, it is still not worth the time or effort, but if it would be fun for you go for it!!!

Bill