News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3026 bascule bridge

Started by jfb, January 24, 2016, 10:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfb

I bought a swap meet bascule bridge, It was unopened and taped. I have the instructions and it states a switch is needed for operation. I do not have the switch. I was wondering since it is dc powered if it could be operated by a dc powered atlas 215 selector switch and if the bridge is operated automatically and the switch is built into it.//

Len

There was an earlier thread on this bridge here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30382.0.html

If the 'switch' is the button shown to the right of the power supply in the instructions, it's essentially a doorbell button used to operate the bridge manually. Normally it's operated automatically by the "triggers" placed in the track. Gaps are strategically placed to keep a train from running into the 'pit' when the bridge is open.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Len

Quote from: jfb on January 25, 2016, 08:48:22 AM
no switch was supplied with it I am asking if 1 is needed and if so can a atlas 215 selector point operate it.

It's not needed if you don't care about operating the bridge manually, and just using the automatic triggers.

The button is a 'Normally Open', like a doorbell, that's only one as long as you hold it. Using a 'Selector' is not a good idea, as it will leave power on if you get distracted and forget to turn it off.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

you could, however, use an atlas switch control box (#56) and only use one side of it. it has a depressable slide switch that only conducts power when you push it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Quote from: jfb on January 24, 2016, 10:25:22 AM
I bought a swap meet bascule bridge...it states a switch is needed for operation. I do not have the switch.

Further testimony for not buying such things at swap meets, train shows, flea markets, etc...
Keep Calm and Carry On

jfb

the bridge is fine with a 215 selector switch, I wil not forget to turn it off.  I saved a lot of money at the great train swap meet and needed only a little work with most pieces.

jbrock27

Then I guess it was a good buy then :)
Keep Calm and Carry On