News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

18" radius vs 22"

Started by Vizzin72, January 27, 2016, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizzin72

I have a track set up which utilizes 18 " curves throughout (both at the end half circles and at points of curve through the mainline straightaways).  I used the layout that is shown in the "my first EZ track" Bachmann track package (you can easily find the image if you type that in the Internet). 

My question is if I offset the original layout with 22" curves, will I need to purchase additional half length of straight track to make up differences in the curves that connect the straightaways.  I realize that the half circles will match properly, but when I look at the intermittent curves throughout it seems like the larger radius may leave gaps. 

jward

looking at the layout in the link you provided, you would have another problem here. at the far left you have a passing track using 18r switches and curves. the 18r switches and track sections are 30 degrees per section, the 22r curves come in full 22 1/2 degree sections or half 11 1/4 degree sections. neither will make the curve you need on that siding.

your best bet would be to use anyrail or scarm to test out modifications to the track plan. I am sure you can make it work, with a few modifications, but it won't be as simple as adding adding a couple of pieces of track. you will probably need to use a lot of small fitter pieces, or cut down some full sections of ez track to fit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Vizzin72

Yes I have a passing track, but even though I use two switches it is still an 18 " radius complete half circle (one pie radian).  Instead of using 6 curves I think I have 5 curves and the turnouts make up what would have been a 6th.  So if I off set it with another track (an outer track) at 22 " radius but still only one complete half circle (one pie radian) with them being 22.5 degrees wouldn't it just take me 8 pieces as opposed to the 6 pieces of 18" ?

jward

the ez track switches you are using are 30 degrees, or a full section, each. that leaves 120 degrees of curvature, which you can't do with unmodified ez track 22r sections. the closest you can get is 5 sections 112 1/2 degrees, or 5 1/2 sections or 5 1/2 sections 123 3/4 degrees. the easiest thing to do there is to use 18r curves on the siding, and add straight fitter pieces to compensate for the wider radius on the main. you would need to come up with 8" of straight track however you piece it together.

like I said, try anyrail  or scarm programs and see what you come up with. scarm is a free download, as is the demo version of anyrail.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Vizzin72

I think I understand ... Thanks I will use the software and see what I can do otherwise

Br 98.75

i have an 0-6-0  that its minimum radius is 9 inches

jward

Quote from: Br 98.75 on January 28, 2016, 11:05:49 PM
i have an 0-6-0  that its minimum radius is 9 inches

what does that have to do with redesigning a layout for 22r curves?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ZeldaTheSwordsman

You aren't going to be able to work this with E-Z Track alone. You're either going to have to cut and shim some flextrack, or get ahold of some 22" radius switches.

jward

not true. it can be done with ez track. it just takes some fiddling around with software. on a related note, the plan as drawn on the box will not work with the layout planning software, but will work with the actual track components.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA