how many modelers use cv3 and cv4 [momentum] with there dcc systems?

Started by kewatin, January 31, 2016, 03:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewatin

i have noticed a lot of questions about this topic showing up on forums and would like to ask how many of you program cv3 &4 when using your locos. the idea is to be able to have a loco with a long coal drag to start out very slow and to accelerate up to road speed and then to stop the same way when decelerating.these cv's are also good to use when running locos in consist or speed matching to a point.on my broadway lmtd. diesels i can see a marked improvement when playing with these settings.they set there default at 5. i don't seem to have the same response when setting up on my bachmann dcc locos.i know bachmann supports cv3&4 but not sure of there factory default# could someone please provide it please.any settings  any of you have had success with the following locos  2-8-0 ,heavy mountain,2-4-0, 4-6-0 etc would you be so kind as to post them  as a starting point to get some success  for more real type train operation on ones layout. this topic probably won't appeal to a lot of folks but for some it can give some pleasurable train operations on their  layout.looking forward to your responses.
regards&later KEWATIN

Mike C

When I had the stock decoders in my 2-8-0 , 4-6-0, 2-6-0 , 2-10-2 , and 2-6-6-2 , I found that just a little went a long way for those CV's . Don't think I ever used more than a value of 10 . But with Digitrax decoders I needed to use much more delay to get the same effect . Before I started going to sound , I think I replaced all of the stock Bachmann decoders with Digitrax , and I got much better motor control . I think that maybe the stock decoders might only accept values between 0 and 15 , but I'm not sure ????

gatrhumpy

I have mostly ESU LokSound Select Micro DCC sound decoders in my steam and diesel engines, and I have my deceleration set to 255. It takes roughly 40 seconds to stop from speed step 8, which I find realistic and I like.

Mike C

Correction .......CV 3 and 4 have a default value of 1 and the range is 1 - 255 .

kewatin

gentlemen, i appreciate your input with #'s as stated i have played with these cv's ,mostly with my sound equipped locos,and can see the results achieved.not so much with the standard lenz  bachmann decoders.i have always been under the opinion the higher the number the longer the response time,&the smaller the number the least time.i am hoping more people will respond with there numbers so that those of us have a base to start with using the standard lenz decoders.for those of us looking for more realistic train operation.i am sure there are many folks just getting into dcc systems are not fully aware of how much can be accomplished by not being afraid to input changes to some of there cv values.i use NCE POWERCAB with a booster on my layout.i would also like to thank gatorhumpy for his video using cv's for checking his speeds on the difference between his atlas loco and another loco..
regards&later KEWATIN