Modified 1:20.3 Caboose and rolling stock by Charon

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, February 02, 2016, 10:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

I am posting 5 photos for Chuck and after he sees them he will comment on his methods.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

charon

Loco Bill,
Thanks a bunch for taking time to post pix for me.
1. The locomotive.
    I have always liked Bachmann's 45 ton diesel, however I also like the MTH Proto 2 sound systems in      their 1/32 scale loco's.
Therefore, I removed the body from a MTH VO1000 diesel switcher, constructed a new platform out of wood and styrene, and then added the Bachmann 45 ton cab, interior and hood units. The railings are from Plastruct.
2.  Freight cars.
    I also am impressed with Bachmann's 18'-0" long On30 cars.
I took two Bachmann Spectrum box cars and a Spectrum caboose and cut out a scale 12', joined them back together, and now have 18' 1/20.3 cars.
Incidently, the 3 freight cars, with supplied Bachmann trucks and body mounted couplers, all operate fine on my 16" radius indoor layout. The loco also works perfectly on the same tight radius. with the supplied truck mounted couplers.
Thanks again, Bill.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Loco Bill Canelos

Chuck,

You are welcome.  I will leave them in my photo bucket account till I run out of space. 

I was wondering about the caboose, were you able to keep all the lighting features working?

charon

Aah,
Good point, Bill. I did not end up with the lights being operable. In the future, I hope to get the marker lights and some kind of interior light working.
Incidentally, my current layout is 16'-8" long by 3'2" wide, hence the 16" radius curves so I can have continuous running.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Loco Bill Canelos

I did wonder why you might cut down those expensive cars.  When all else fails make it work anyway!!!

Ray Dunakin

Nice work. Some day I want to try making some short cars for my layout.
Visit www.raydunakin.com for photos, step-by-step articles and other information about the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

on30gn15

The cars look cool  8) I like their proportions.
Were the walkways on the loco that wide or were they widened?
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

charon

On30gn15,
I made a new walkway, out of styrene plastic laminated to 1/8" plywood, the same width as the Bachmann 45 ton diesel and attached it to the frame of the MTH VO 1000 switcher. The 45 ton body just fits over the top of the MTH electronics and sound system.
Thanks for your interest.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

on30gn15

When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest