News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Future of On30

Started by ceo1939, February 03, 2016, 08:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceo1939

Mr Bachmann
Is bachmann dropping On30 from their product line??????????????
I was going to start a new layout and was going to go On30 but if Bachmann is dropping out of that market then I should look at different options
Welcome opinions from other members of this forum

InsideTrack

Rest assured, Bachmann is continuing to support On30. This year we will have a new DCC-Equipped and Sound-Ready 2-6-0 Locomotive with Metal Gears.
We would not be introducing new models if we wanted to discontinue On30.

ceo1939

A New 2-6-0 DCC  sound ready is fantastic.  A lot of people will be glad to hear this

Thanks for getting back so soon.

ceo1939

pjf

A lot of us asking the same question and only the actions at Bachmann will give us any indication that On30 will be around.
What I would like to know why is the one of the nicest and smoothest operating loco disappeared from Bachmann's line-up. I like all my locos, 2 6 0, 4 4 0, 4 6 0 but my favorite is the 2 8 0 and that one is no more.  pjf   :(
Peter

p51

I talked with some of the Bachmann people at the National Train Show in Portland this past August. I got no indication from them that they were on their way out of the On30 business. That said, they only had one new On30 item on display for the following year.
Let's face it; Bachmann making inexpensive (and very well-running) narrow gauge stuff is what has drawn people into On30 initially. NG used to be something few modelers got into and normally you had to do a crazy amount of work on everything if you wanted into anything but 4' 8 ½" gauge in any scale.
An entire cottage industry has popped up around Bachmann's introduction of affordable narrow gauge. Sadly, some of their kits are all but useless, such as all the conversion kits for the gas-mechanical 'critters' that are increasingly difficult to find now that they're out of production.
Rumors abound regarding Bachmann getting out of On30, even though prices for new rolling stock are slowly climbing. Sadly, the very thing that got people into On30- Bachmann's inexpensive rolling stock- is almost a thing of the past now.
I only got into On30 because of Bachmann, and that was because they made the prototype I've always wanted as a good runner in a manageable scale (the ET&WNC Baldwin ten-wheeler). I bought one initially for a display under glass. That didn't last long and now I have a small layout for it (and 3 others like it) to run on. Some Bachmann rolling stock was useable for my concept, but only flats, high gons (cut down) and boxcars. The rest, I can't use.
On30 is too popular to vanish at this point, but it could slowly decline over time. Without Bachmann making an introduction into narrow gauge affordable, that decline is inevitable once the secondary market of Bachmann stuff is gone.
But I just don't see them ceasing that market completely.
-Lee

on30gn15

Quote from: ceo1939 on February 03, 2016, 08:50:55 AM
Is bachmann dropping On30 from their product line?
It would be interesting to know the foundation behind the question.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

mabloodhound

Quote from: on30gn15 on February 09, 2016, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: ceo1939 on February 03, 2016, 08:50:55 AM
Is bachmann dropping On30 from their product line?
It would be interesting to know the foundation behind the question.

Rumors, just rumors.  Seems someone starts this same rumor EVERY year.
>:(
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security