News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

nce SB5 smartbooster

Started by nymark, February 05, 2016, 09:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nymark

I was experimenting with reverse loop track pieces from LGB today and made a reverse loop. I put my Shay on and hoped to run through the loops and have the polarity reverse. I noticed my cab and the SB5 were blinking on and off which I took to mean a short circuit so I dismantled the loop thinking I had obviously connected something wrong and the booster would correct itself. This did not happen even when just plugged in with no track connection. It just blinks on and off. The green light on the power blinks and the red light on the SB5 blinks. I think I might have damaged the unit -it felt pretty hot. Any suggestions would be much appreciated-Thanks, Phil Nymark

Nathan

The SB5 IS NOT and auto reverse unit.  You needed to isolate the reverse loops and add proper auto reverse boards to each loop.

Nathan

nymark

Hi Nathan-I'm using the SB5 to power the track(for now). I bought the LGB "reverse" track and added them to the ends of the turnout. It was explained to me that this would be all I needed. I had been using my NCE Pro cab with the SB5 on a continuous loop and it worked fine. I had been using my NCE Powercab but it seemed to start having "issues" with the SB5 and I found I was able to reprogram some of the sounds on my 3 truck shay with the Pro cab. This large scale has a bit of a learning curve. I have a lot of HO and N scale stuff but some of this knowledge doesn't seem to apply to large scale. I want to get a PH-10 and maybe that has autoreverse. Meanwhile, I might have to send in the SB5. Thanks-Nymark

nymark

Hi again Nathan, Where can I get the auto reverse boards you mentioned? Thanks-Nymark

Nathan

Start here for what I am talking about:

http://www.dccwiki.com/Auto_reverser

The boards that you can use are available from multiple sources.  Everyone you talk to will have a favorite.
Digitrax makes the AR1.  Tam Valley Depot makes a 'Frog Juicer'/Auto-Reverser.  DCC Specialties makes the OG-AR and PSX-AR.  Lenz makes the LK200.  MRC makes the AD520.  I know there are others, I just can not find them real quick.

Nathan

nymark

Hey Nathan-Thanks for the info. I have a spare AR 1 form my HO and N stuff. Do you think it will work with Large scale power sources like the SB5 or a PH-10? I really like the simplicity of the MRC units and use two of them on my N scale layout. Much appreciated-Phil

Nathan

Yes, the AR 1 will work with large scale.

Nathan

nymark