News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

P.R.R's PASSENGER TRAINS

Started by adari, November 19, 2007, 05:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

Woody;
I used to see New Haven livery along the shoreline before the catenary went into operation.  Don't know what the arrangement is, if any, with Metro North and whomever regarding the paint jobs. 
Most of the New Haven facility is less than a shadow of what it once was.  I stopped one day, over by State Street, where the walkover once was accessed from.  The coaling tower is a sorry sight and in gross danger of falling in on itself.  It is all so sad; I say that selfishly, because having grown up in the Boston area, I got to see a lot of the Boston facilities, and thereby cultivated my attraction for that "urban" scene; it would have been nice to have seen that Cedar Hill facility in full swing, though.
I have a couple of software disks, one of them has the old Domino Sugar facility on it, and my father used to work at Gillette in South Boston, right next to the Domino facility.  We could see it-and the Gillette clock sign-from the apartment window, near Dover Street.
I am going downstate this week, so I will bring the digital camera with me; and hopefully, see the NH livery on track; if not ,I will try to get down into Stamford.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Beatle (TrainBrain)

2 I know of, The Broadway Limited and The Northern Arrow.

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

Conrail Quality

Rich and Woody,
The painting of locomotives and passenger cars into New Haven livery was done by the Conneticut Department of Transportation, which, as part of the agreement to have Metro-North operate the New Haven line, supplies cars and locomotives to Metro-North. Much(all?) of the Shoreline East equipment is also painted like this, including all of the recently pruchased ex-VRE Mafersa cars. I've always suspected there must be a railfan high up in ConnDOT for this to be happening.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Woody Elmore

I remember reading about the cost of the NH paint jobs which the Connecticut Department of Transportation pays for. It made some commuter advocacy groups annoyed because they felt that the money could be better used.

I guess railfans should be thankful that they didn't decide to copy the dreadful PC era!

Say what you want about Pat McGuiness - the NH tricolor scheme looks as sharp today as it did 50 years ago.

r.cprmier

Sorry, Woody;
Nothing but nothing beats the old New Haven herald in calligraphy-especially on the PAs and DL-109s; whether it be backgrounded by warm orange or hunteror pullman green-OR...as I had seen as a kid, black herald on an imitation aluminum paint job.  DL-109.  two.  Aluminum.  I have pictures.

Rch

PS:  I HATE Chineese Vermillion!
Rich

Woody Elmore

The older NH with the script lettering was very impressive. I remember seeing it on box cars. It was a classic design for a classic era. The black, orange and white sure does get your attention.

r.cprmier

WOODY;
There were a lot of script configurations on the New Haven.  The really classy look was on the pre mcguinness stainless steel passenger cars, with the car name in the
green piers, the roman lettering along the roof, and the script on these square panels by the doors.  Most of the steam had straight block lettering in either white or yellow, but the electrics and diesels had it in colours.  THe DL-109s had about thirteen configurations plus the imitation aluminum and black calligraphy with the white pinstriping.  Neat!....  The most impressive was the pullman green body and the imitation gold pinstriping and herald on the 109s.  The "Layer Cake" found on the electrics and some Alco cab units was also a true eye-catcher.  The person reponsible for the designs was responsible for a real first- class act.
To watch one of the name trains pulling out of South Station in Boston, or running full-tilt along the viaduct, blue arcs at the top of the pans of an EP4 "layer cake", or watching the ballast along the shoreline being scorched by a thundering I-5 on stud of the Merchant, Commodore Whitehead, etc, one just had to know he was watching a true first-class operation, and one of the finest passenger lines in America.

Rich

Rich 
Rich

Woody Elmore

They sure kept the guys in the paint shop busy! The Rock Island was another one with a lot of color schemes but none of them as nice as anything on the NH.

r.cprmier

Woody;
Yep...The guys over at the Lamberton st.  Paint shop were good.  [The] New Haven had real good talent in their shops, whether the electrical shop at Van Nest in New York; Midway and Readville Mass; or New Haven, Ct; the work was always well done.  I am not sure where the cars were painted, but I seem to remember either Readville, or Midway.

Rich
Rich

chucknlead

Get the Broadway limited T1 duplex!!! Outpulls just about anything out there and looks and runs great! You won't be disappointed!!!!
I got mine a year ago with sound; spectacular machine :)
Choooooo----------Choooooooo