News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC issues

Started by SDCowboyBen, February 13, 2016, 08:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDCowboyBen

??? All my track is EZ track and all my turnouts are Bachmann pre-DCC. I am going to use a NCE DCC system to control all of the turnouts using NCE stationary decoders. So first I noticed that I have 2 types of toggles, A) left or right and B) left or right then momentarily push. Are there two types of switch machines in use? If not what type am I using? (STALL or?)

Secondly, there are a combo of 3 green wires going from the switch machines to the toggles. Is the middle one a common or ground wire?
SDCowboyBen

jbrock27

Quote from: SDCowboyBen on February 13, 2016, 08:31:54 PM
All my track is EZ track and all my turnouts are Bachmann pre-DCC.

Does this also mean your track has black roadbed?  If so, it is steel and not ideal.

Is the middle one a common or ground wire?

These 2 terms are often used interchangeably to designate the same function.  To answer your question, yes, the middle is the Common.  The other 2 send momentary jolts of current to change the switch points from straight to divergent on the turnout (for normal DC or AC current operation via switch controller box).

PS-You may wish to reconsider controlling turnouts via DCC.  Check around, you will find most folks don't find the extra trouble to do so, worth it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jhanecker2

SDCowboyBen : regarding the different type of switches that you have. Yes there are or were two different types of switches recently in use .  They do basically the same job  .   Regarding the advisability  of  converting  to  DCC switching ,  how many buttons do have to push get one specific  turnout to function and how much are you going to pay for adding extra levels of complications to a simple process .  DCC is on all the time and uses power even if you are not running equipment , depending how large your power demands are you will eventually  run dry. John2.

jbrock27

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on February 14, 2016, 11:39:35 AM
Regarding the advisability  of  converting  to  DCC switching ,  how many buttons do have to push get one specific  turnout to function and how much are you going to pay for adding extra levels of complications to a simple process .  DCC is on all the time and uses power even if you are not running equipment , depending how large your power demands are you will eventually  run dry. John2.

As I had mentioned, something to reconsider ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

. . .
first I noticed that I have 2 types of toggles, A) left or right and B) left or right then momentarily push. Are there two types of switch machines in use? If not what type am I using? (STALL or?)
. . .

The remote type A and B toggle slide switches are connected by the 3 green wires to same type switch machine in the turnout - twin coil solenoid type switch machine

. . .
Secondly, there are a combo of 3 green wires going from the switch machines to the toggles. Is the middle one a common or ground wire?
. . .

The middle green wire is the common.

SDCowboyBen

Thanks for all the replies! I like the idea that when I want to toggle on the NCE controller you can have designated almost any number up to 9999. So for each district I could have 2000, 3000 and so on. It is basically one control to get to the booster and then the number of the booster. But I can relate to the fact this might cost me a great deal of money. Currently I have 23 turnouts. But NCE just announced the Throw-it and Throw-8. If I use the throw-8 I would need only 3 decoder boards. Choices, Choices.
SDCowboyBen

SDCowboyBen

Thanks and we can end this thread now.
SDCowboyBen