News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Painting and decorating...........

Started by WoundedBear, February 19, 2016, 08:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Been at the bench again.....well, still.....got another couple of projects done.

The first is the Spectrum 4-6-0 that I ripped apart in this thread.... http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,31358.0.html

This one got named after my mother who passed away late last year. Done in my usual corporate paint job for the Lye, Stihl and Djheet.

WoundedBear

Next up was this Mantua/Model Power GP-20. I had picked this thing up for around 20 bucks a while back. These type of models are good practice fodder. If ya screw it all up you're not out a ton of money. My first attempt at diesel weathering was done with a rattle can and the mist was way too coarse to look right in HO scale. In the close-ups, the 1st loco looked like it had cow patties thrown at it. This time I went out to the garage and brought the airbrush back into the studio.....the results are as follows. This is only my second attempt at weathering a diesel model. I also tossed in a Digitrax SDH164D decoder with a rectangular MRC speaker for the hell of it. Comments? Criticisms?

Enjoy!

Sid

RAM

Nice job.  I like models that or not fresh out of the paint shop.  Just one question, or remark.  Red marker lights on a steam locomotive.   The only ones I have ever seen are clear (white) or green.   

WoundedBear

Quote from: RAM on February 19, 2016, 09:58:54 PM
Nice job.  I like models that or not fresh out of the paint shop.  Just one question, or remark.  Red marker lights on a steam locomotive.   The only ones I have ever seen are clear (white) or green.   

You're probably right. I'll repaint em green. Like I've always said.....I know nothing about real railroads at all really. I'm a model builder who happens to be fascinated with railroad themed models at this time of my life. ;D

Thanks for the heads up......I think I went with red cause, well, red and brass just look good together..lol.

Sid

So....is the light on the back of the tender the wrong color too?

rogertra

Quote from: WoundedBear on February 19, 2016, 10:44:17 PM
[
Like I've always said.....I know nothing about real railroads at all really.

Sid.

I noticed both the class lights and the red backup light but didn't want to say anything when we were chatting this evening.

Always feel free to ask questions about the prototype and if I can answer them, I will.  If I can't, I know people who can.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Great work as always Sid! :)

Re: The diesel: the work and weathering look terrific.  This, is not a criticism of your work, but the wide open pilots and super thick handrails and stanchions on these maker's models, make me go, blech!  I realize you worked on it bc it is what you had and the price was right as you point out, so any screw up is not the end of the world, so it makes all the sense, but I still go blech!  If I had one, I'd use it as practice piece too, but not sure I would go buy one of these to practice on. :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
Hi.  I noticed on one of your locomotives you only have one class light; a 4-8-2, in one of your photos.  Was it lost off by a 'collector' or perhaps re-possessed?

Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on February 20, 2016, 09:56:46 AM
Roger;
Hi.  I noticed on one of your locomotives you only have one class light; a 4-8-2, in one of your photos.  Was it lost off by a 'collector' or perhaps re-possessed?

Rich C.

Hi Rich.

I just went thought the photos and all class lights are in place.  I can't actually check the locos as they are still all packed away.

Cheers

Roger T.

brokenrail

Gosh it all looks good .I have just been inspired to step up and work on my weathering techniques.I learned to build them up and paint them like they rolled off the assembly line over many years ,but need to get more into this weathering fine art of the hobby since this is just fantastic to my eyes all the grime and grit .Jut really nice work.Thanks for sharing!
Johnny Adam

J3a-614

Nice looking power, including the GP-20 from what would often be considered a "toy" source.

Of course, what I really like are the shots of the 4-6-0.  On my monitor the model comes out looking like it's in O scale, and all the details really show up.  Bachmann had a nice engine in that run.

Just acquired a high-boiler 4-6-0 myself recently, might have a little fun doing it up as a deep South passenger hauler. . . and I have my eyes on a Russian Decapod as a light axle load freighter to go with it. . .

Ken Huck

Love them steamers !  I like the way the piping really stands out against the 'brass' fittings.  As far as
prototype goes...I didn't give the 'brake' light a second thought.

Ken

electrical whiz kid

Hi Roger;
Number 541, it is a 2-8-2.   Your work much being in evidence of superior craftsmanship, I just thought I'd mention it.
It looks good.  One question I have:  I notice a blue-black sheen on your steamers.  How did you get that-or is it just the photo effects?   I had been playing around with  a mix of engine black and enchantment blue; but I am just curious.

Rich C.

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
Nice neat work!  Doing grab irons kind of separates "the men from the boys", and yours was a beautifully done job. 
When I first got involved in HO standard-gauge, I had bought three life-like RS-11s on line.  I don't know what you had -but let's just say that I was less than happy.  I wound up giving them away.  Shortly after, I had "discovered" Atlas RS-1s, 3s and RS-11s-but not in complete form.  I got the catalogue, and ordered parts.  These parts were cobbled together, mix-and-match style.  It was a good learning process.  I created my own road decals (in black), and applied them.  All in all, it was quite a learning process-a good one.  Oh-and they all worked well.  Says a lot about Atlas. 
On your last photo, there is, behind the locomotives, a station.  It looks like you might have modified an old Atlas station.  It looks really good.

Rich C. 

WoundedBear

Really nice work Wayne. I now see where the bar is set....lol.

Sid