News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

TURNOUTS

Started by HAPPY JACK, February 24, 2016, 01:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAPPY JACK

I have a question, well maybe two.  I just bought a N-scale starter kit, after a 60 year hiatus from model railroading.  I had a O-scale train as a kid.  The turnout I bought to go with the starter set comes with two pieces; a turnout with a green wire, and another short piece of track with a red wire.

(1)  Where does green wire go (AC or DC)? 

(2)  Where does the red wired piece go and where does the red wire go (AC or DC)? 

(3)  Is there a "hot" side and a "cold side and how do you tell the difference?

(4) What is the gauge of the wire used and where do you get the wire?

Well, actually four questions, but I anticipate many many more.

Thanks,

HAPPY JACK

Rich_S

Quote from: HAPPY JACK on February 24, 2016, 01:04:59 PM
I have a question, well maybe two.  I just bought a N-scale starter kit, after a 60 year hiatus from model railroading.  I had a O-scale train as a kid.  The turnout I bought to go with the starter set comes with two pieces; a turnout with a green wire, and another short piece of track with a red wire.

(1)  Where does green wire go (AC or DC)?  

(2)  Where does the red wired piece go and where does the red wire go (AC or DC)?  

(3)  Is there a "hot" side and a "cold side and how do you tell the difference?

(4) What is the gauge of the wire used and where do you get the wire?

Well, actually four questions, but I anticipate many many more.

Thanks,

HAPPY JACK

Hi Jack, What train set did you purchase?

Here is a video that might be helpful?
https://youtu.be/mhUOqPtxqts

I do not own any Bachmann Turnouts, but here is a YouTube video that shows how Bachmann Turnouts are wired
https://youtu.be/yHdXXHxgNHA

I hope this helps?
Rich S.

redement

1. Green wire from turnout with 3 pin plug goes into the top of the Turnout Directional Switch.
2. Red wire with 2 pin plug goes into the side of the Terminal Direction Switch and the spades are connected to the Accessory 16v AC terminals on the Comntroller.  The second switch can be connected directly to the side of the first switch to get ac power.
3. I don't think there is a hot and cold side as in dc.  However, there is a common for the AC at the turnout and it's the middle pin.  You'll have to take a multimeter to see which direction the Direction Switch controls which direction the turnout switches.  If it's opposite from what you want, just flip over the green wire plug at the direction switch.
4. Don't have Bachmann specific answer for this queston, but I've seen layouts using 20 gauge wire.
Ralph

redement

I've recently purchased several 44861 and 44862 EZ trak turnouts and noticed 2 different designs.  Does anyone know when the design change was effected and why?  Is one better tan the other?  which is preferred?  One difference is that the end of the divergent point on one model is all metal and on the second model it's plastic.
Ralph