Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Unable to change Loco Address...

Started by Logger Mike, February 28, 2016, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logger Mike

Logger Mike

Logger Mike

Just talked with the Service dept to get reset CV's to start all over again..........Will try that and then go forward.

M
Logger Mike

Hunt

Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program CV 8 to 8 (can use either Service Mode or Operations Mode programming)
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight and backup light will blink simultaneously 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or lights come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

Logger Mike

Will Do tonight, and report back.

Thanks,

Mike
Logger Mike

Hunt

Mike,
It is known,

• To use Ops Mode programming requires using the decoder's active address, which now is not known.
  • The Digitrax DCS100 cannot reliably program any SoundTraxx decoder using the programming track.  Be sure to select Service Mode - Direct and perhaps you will get lucky with the decoder reset.

Logger Mike

"""The Digitrax DCS100 cannot reliably program any SoundTraxx decoder using the programming track.  Be sure to select Service Mode - Direct and perhaps you will get lucky with the decoder reset. """

By Above I am taking to read as Use "Main Track", not Programing, and use "Pd or PAGE Direct" while on the main....MAKINIG SURE no other Loco's on on the tracks>

Correct?

Be gentle...this is my first time in DCC....

Thanks,
M

Logger Mike

Hunt

Quote from: Logger Mike on March 01, 2016, 02:17:25 PM
"""The Digitrax DCS100 cannot reliably program any SoundTraxx decoder using the programming track.  Be sure to select Service Mode - Direct and perhaps you will get lucky with the decoder reset. """

By Above I am taking to read as Use "Main Track", not Programing, and use "Pd or PAGE Direct" while on the main....MAKINIG SURE no other Loco's on on the tracks>

Correct?

You are reading it wrong.

You cannot use the Main Track because you do not know the decoder's active address.

You will have to use the programming track
Press the PROG key to cycle through the following options:
  PG = Paged mode
  PH = Physical register mode
  Pd = Direct mode
  Po = Operations mode

Select Pd  Direct mode

Logger Mike

that's why I was dbl checking......still learning.....Thanks again
Logger Mike

Logger Mike

Ok... This isn't working either.....
Here's the procedure I used without any luck:

1.  Placed Loco on Program Track
2.  PLUGGED IN DT402D into UR92 panel
3.  Fired up DCS100, run mode
3a..Pwr=y...have solid power dot
4.  Press PROGRAM, cycle thru till I have Pd showing
5.  L Throttle....turn knob til 0030 above CVNo reads (0030=???)
6.  R Throttle press down once, then rotate till X02 reads on right.
6a.  Press ENTER...screen reads we blinking SQ with dot inside blinks once, then NoAK BLINKS ON ONCE
6b.  Screen reads:  0030=x02...1 "click" from Loco
7.  L Throttle turn till 0008=???
8.  R Throttle press down once, then rotate till x08 reads
9.  Press ENTER.... Screen flashes wr SQ not dot, then NoAK Blinks once
9a.  Screen reads 0008=x08....1 "click" sound from Loco
10.  Press EXIT....Screen returns to normal operating, 1 loco blinking smoke
11.  Power= N...power dot goes off
12.  Press "y" to power back on
13.  Been waiting 30 minutes for lights to do something
14.  NOTHING...No lights, no sound, nothing.
15.  Place Loco on Main Track, immediately begins "slow chuff" which gets slower and slower, chuff farther apart.
16.  Tried LOCO select, typed 03 for address, LOCO again
17.  NOTHING Except slow chuff.

CV30 = 02 and CV = 08 came from Bachmann via phone call to Service, was told over phone to use these settings to reser decoder.

Out of options now as nothing is playing nicely.

Going down now to watch NCIS.

Logger Mike

Logger Mike

Hunt, got your message after I tried resetting...but I already had system set as you described with separate Isolated Program track.  Thanks tho.

Mike
Logger Mike

Hunt

Mike,

Just glanced over you procedure --

Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value.

Either program CV 08 to 08 OR   CV 30 to 02
      NOT BOTH as they do the same thing.

This  is another instance validating --
•The Digitrax DCS100 cannot reliably program any SoundTraxx decoder using the programming track.

To close -- As advised --  add a Programming Track Booster, use a standalone programmer, have someone program for you using their DCC system, which is capable of programming SoundTaxx decoders or replace the decoder.  Discuss with Digitrax before you make a decision.

Logger Mike

Thanks Hunt,

I have some Digitrax Decoders.  Since I bought the Loco 5 years ago, though just now using it, I think I'll just swap it out for now, I can live without the sound for now, and then later after some research, put in a sound card.

I really appreciate your help on this.

Mike
Logger Mike

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on March 01, 2016, 08:40:29 PM
. . .

• The Digitrax DCS100 cannot reliably program any SoundTraxx decoder using the programming track.

. . .

The exception to my statement is the new SoundTraxx Econami family of sound decoders recently made available by SoundTraxx. An Econami does not appear to require a Programming Track Booster to be used with commonly found DCC systems in America.

Logger Mike

Thanks Hunt,

Thanks the route I had been thinking about...I've seen some info about the Econami's, looks promising, especially because of its small size.  Will be looking into them.

Thanks aain for all the efforts.

M
Logger Mike

Logger Mike

You're not going to believe this....while researching info on compatibility of the Econami and my DCS100, I ran across a link from 2011 about RESETTING Tsunami on DCS100.....

"""""ShareThis
I posted on the MRH forum about putting a decoder in a Bachmann GP30. The MRH community gave several helpful responses.

As you may be aware, I purchased a Tsunami decoder. All was good - I had the decoder wired to the motor (after
discovering I had the motor wired backwards) and the frame and hooked up my speaker (in an enclosure) and I got sound and the loco ran. No lights yet - I wanted to test things as they were.

I think the sounds are too loud and I was able to program on the main using my Digitrax DCS100 (my now old Chief II set), JMRI and a LocoBuffer-USB. I know the use of the programming track is pointless. Somewhere in my programming delirium I screwed up something big time. The sound came on when the track is powered but I could get NO response in any other way. I think, but I'm not sure, I mangled the addresses and didn't know how to recover. Without knowing the address I could not communicate with the decoder.

I have spent a good bit of three days trying to find a solution. No good ideas from the SoundTraxx or Digitrax web sites. After wading through the Soundtraxx Yahoo Group and then going to the Digitrax Group I found the key. They were not discussing my problem specifically but it gave me the solution. I found a reference to this page on the Digitrax web site: http://kb.digitrax.com//index.php?a=1162  It gave me this:

Resetting a Locomotive

If you don't know the current address and need to reset the locomotive, place the locomotive on the main track WITH NO OTHER LOCOMOTIVES ON THE LAYOUT. THIS IS IMPORTANT as you will be sending a broadcast programming command to every decoder on a live track!

1. Select address "00"

2. Enter Operations Mode programming

3. Follow the manufacturers instructions for programming a reset [This will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Editor].

4. Remove the locomotive from the powered track. When it powers up again it should have reset to address 3.

Make sure there are no other locos on the tracks and select loco ID 00 (zero zero) then use the Digitrax throttle (mine is a DT400) and set program in Po (ops) mode. You can then set the Ad2 and Ad4 addresses. Programming address 00 on the main will broadcast to any mobile decoder on the tracks.

This solution does not require you to know the current address of the decoder. It worked perfectly for me.

I hope this is useful information for someone else. Maybe everyone else will just go "DUH!!" If nothing else it will be here for others to search and find.

Ken Glover, Chief Engineer, Kansas Pacific Railway

‹ Soundtraxx Question and Suggestion for Product EnhancementDCC/PC interface - how is it done? ›"""""""

I was on My way to bed, resigned to the fact that I screwed it up, and was going to have to buy a new...I figured WTH...one last try....so I tried the above post and guess what....using the rest of CV8=08......SHE IMMEDIATELY CAME BACK TO LIFE.
It appears that the key is selecting 00 for the Loco Address, since mine apparently didn't know hers when I tried the CV8 reset earlier.[/font]

Now I have it set to default 03, and she runs.  Shut down and go the bed before you screw it up again.

Tomorrow, I'll attempt to program a new address of 75 for her, using the 4-digit then 2-digit address procedures I got from Digitrax on my help request. 

Logger Mike,
Charlotte, NC Area
Logger Mike