News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2017

Started by TrainFan97, February 29, 2016, 03:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

I definetely agree that the slate wagons are a huge improvement of the rolling stock from last year.  It really does seem like a win-win from Bachmann with a more accurate tooling as well as a much cheaper price.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Peco recolors eventually got discontinued eventually.

Quote from: Sparks on December 06, 2016, 02:08:02 AM
Now the question is, will they use the right ones? Talyllyn Coach No. 4 is the right basis for the TV version blue coaches, and Talyllyn No. 3 is thr right basis for the TV version red coaches.

It'd be nice to see them do both honestly, maybe a set of three blue coaches one year and three red coaches the following?  It'd be even better if the red coaches were painted in Talyllyn livery and the blue ones had a closer resemblance to the Railway Series. 

Considering the blue box van's SR logo, and even the slate wagons I don't think this sounds too unlikely.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Cheeky_ULP

On an unrelated note

I think it's safe to say Jerome and Judy will happen soon now that they're regular characters in the show again. All they would have to do is change the face and nameplate to do the other crane. It fits pretty well with Bachmanns trend of "two toolings for the price of one" (especially recently).

If they did the Works Unit, it'd probably be a different color to not be confused for Annie/Clarabel.

For posing, just have the cranes on a ratchet, and the bodies on a rotatable piece. I think for what Thomas fans model nowadays, the tooling doesn't need to be as complicated as Cranky.

WilsonProductions2

^ I agree with you Sparks. A Breakdown Crane being added to the Bachmann Thomas & Friends range would be a great addition to the range. I have always had this in my mind. Then again, Rocky could also be added to the range too! He is also a Breakdown Crane and has had bigger roll in the TV Series, than Jerome and Judy has, so far.

Chaz

With this talk about coaches, I was surprised that you (or anyone else) did not mention the slip coaches. Especially considering their recent regular cameo appearances in season 20.

Judy and Jerome would be a great idea all the same.  I think they would be a much better fit in the range than Rocky since Rocky is one large piece, as well as being even more expensive to produce.  I wouldn't even mind if Bachmann skipped making an engine next year if it meant Judy and Jerome were to be announced, just like when the red coaches were announced.

WilsonProductions2

^ I think you are probably right there about Rocky being produced Chaz, as he is a 75-ton Breakdown Crane. I can see Hornby more likely producing him, than Bachmann. Jerome and Judy are much chances for Bachmann as they are smaller and would be much cheaper to produce and for the consumers.

The Slip Coaches would also be nice as well. Then Duck will have something to pull then!

MeganekkoFury1126

The Slip Coaches would be a great idea if Bachmann did them. Duck and the Slip Coaches would actually make an intriguing starter set at that.

Ken Clark

When Bachmann Europe release their Ransome & Rapier 45 Ton Breakdown Crane (ROCKY prototype) it may
be worth a look at for conversion . Possibly Bachmann US could piggy back production and add the faces?.

Ken C
   GWN

sean1994rail

Quote from: Ken Clark on December 09, 2016, 12:24:41 PM

When Bachmann Europe release their Ransome & Rapier 45 Ton Breakdown Crane (ROCKY prototype) it may
be worth a look at for conversion . Possibly Bachmann US could piggy back production and add the faces?.

Ken C
   GWN
If the final model is identical to Rocky and his basis that is.

WilsonProductions2

My predictions for 2017 are:

HO Locomotives:
Charlie (With Moving Eyes)
Paxton (With Moving Eyes)
Sidney (With Moving Eyes)
Caitlin (With Moving Eyes)
Connor (With Moving Eyes)
Ryan (With Moving Eyes)

HO Passenger Rolling Stock:
76041 Spencer's Special Coach (CGI Livery)
77028 Henrietta (With Face)
Red Express Composite Coach (Re-release)
Red Express Brake Coach (Re-release)
Caitlin's Composite Coach
Caitlin's Brake Coach
Connor's Composite Coach
Connor's Brake Coach
Hannah

HO Freight Rolling Stock:
77039 Sodor Fuel Tank (With CGI Logo)
77048 Tidmouth Milk Tank (With CGI Logo)
Flat Car with Paint Drums (Re-release)
Troublesome Truck #6 (Plain Black Tanker With Face)
Water Tanker
Blue Utility Wagon (Mail Car)
Bradford

Narrow Gauge:
Narrow Gauge Sir Handel
Narrow Gauge Red Coach
Narrow Gauge D.FUSIT Gunpowder Wagon
Narrow Gauge Red Brake Van

Plow_Bender

I think I'll take the time to make a post about some locomotives and rolling stock that I feel would be beneficial to the large scale range for 2017.  To be fair, large scale hasn't been that great for announcements the last couple years, so the range really needs something outstanding to get it back on track, no pun intended...   I'll start off with locomotives that I feel that would be beneficial to the range, then move into rolling stock.  I might mention a few set ideas as well.

Duck and Oliver
Duck and Oliver hold many positives if introduced into large scale.  Going back to when they were announced in HO, that got many people excited.  Also seeing as how well Duck has sold (same is yet to be found out with Oliver), both might very well be great additions to the large scale range.  When considering they have also made numerous appearances lately in the series, that also plays a big factor in a character being made sometimes.  Probably the biggest plus with Duck and Oliver is that they are both tank engines which helps keep production costs down.  If you want to bring up that Oliver would go well with S. C. Ruffey (already available in large scale), well that's another plus I guess.  Toad in large scale is another story, which I'll discuss further down in this post.

Bill and Ben
Although probably a long shot, Bill and Ben present many positives, but do have a downside.  Both have had quite a few major roles in the series recently, and are characters I would regard as classics.  They are however, not really main characters such as Thomas, Gordon, Toby, etc so that kind of makes me wonder how Bachmann would do on the models in terms of sales.  Probably the real advantage to Bill and Ben is that to make them would only require a single tooling.  That I feel is the strongest advantage these models have for large scale.  It's basically a case of (as I like to say) killing 2 stones with 1 bird.

Rosie
Rosie I feel is another engine that would in fact have some positives if made in large scale, but also some negatives as well.  Rosie appeals to many (especially among female Thomas fans), but to some of the more serious collectors, a pink locomotive isn't a must have on their list.  I also can't say she's had many roles in the series recently other than cameos most of the time.  Rosie is however a tank engine which would help keep production costs down, just as it would with the others I've mentioned.  It's also a possibility that Bachmann could reuse Thomas's chassis for Rosie as well.  The big thing is that I personally feel Rosie has a strong chance being made in large scale for the same reason her HO model was announced.  Like it or not, that's just how ****/Mattel work...

Mavis
Now Mavis is possibly a more unlikely character to be made, but I'll get to that shortly.  On a positive note, Mavis is a smaller engine which (same as the models mentioned earlier) keeps production costs down.  Another benefit to Mavis is that if she was to be made, she could use Toby's chassis.  On the downside however, I have been told (by reputable sources), diesels are not good sellers in large scale.  This could very well be the reason Bachmann discontinued their 0-4-0 Gas Mechanical and 45 ton switcher.  Then again, diesels in the Thomas range may do better in terms of sales than Bachmann's 1:20.3 line.

Edward
Unfortunately Edward is pushing the limit in terms of being made in large scale, but still has somewhat of a chance.  Like Duck and Oliver, Edward had a lot of interest when he was announced in HO, and sold well too.  Although not a tank engine, he's a smaller engine (smaller than James at least) and a main/classic character.  I know there's a large number of people who would add Edward to their large scale collection just for that simple reason.  As I said in one of my previous posts this year (sadly the thread was deleted), many would be happy just to see Edward brought into the range even if he was the only large scale announcement for 2016 (2017 now).

Emily w/ DCC Sound (with moving eyes)
I won't spend too long on Emily, but I will say that she seems like a very likely one to happen.  Upon opening up my large scale Emily for maintenance, I found that there was a grill over the rear pony truck and mounting posts inside the model for a speaker.  As I've been told though, Bachmann must have had DCC sound in mind for a while considering when Emily was announced and when we got DCC sound Thomas and Percy.  I don't know why else all the mounting brackets would be in there already.  Other DCC sound large scale models are mentioned further down in this post.

Henrietta
Henrietta is one I feel needs to happen because it's been nearly 2-3 years since Toby was announced.  Many have been asking where Henrietta is, and to some Toby just isn't complete without her.  One problem Henrietta does have though is she requires a new tooling, which is basically useless for anything else.  As I've already made a post about large scale Henrietta for 2017, I don't feel I need to go over this again.  If you would like to see my extensive post, check out the link below.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,31790.msg237691.html#msg237691

Mail Car
The mail car would also be a great addition to the large scale range, especially for Percy.  Although it would require a new tooling (and I'm not for the idea), Bachmann could also make recolors of the van just as they have done in the HO range.  I think many would agree though that we don't need a green mail car or a live lobsters car.  To be a good seller, I think Bachmann would be better off making the utility van or the brown variant as seen in the Flying Kipper and/or Thomas and the Trucks.

The Red Coaches
The red coaches are something I know many people want to see in large scale.  They have an advantage with production as the models could be made starting with the existing Annie and Clarabel/Emily's coaches tooling with alterations.  The red coaches were and still are a hot seller in HO, and they would definitely move well in large scale.  Chances are some people would even consider buying multiple red coaches instead of just buying a red coach and a red break coach.  These would be yet another great addition to the range for Percy or James.

Troublesome Truck #3
Saving the best for last, Troublesome Truck #3 has to be one of best pieces of rolling stock Bachmann could introduce into their large scale range.  It's easy, inexpensive, and is sure to sell.  Troublesome truck #3 would be a simple repaint of the box vans already available in the range, but with a troublesome truck face.  I'm not sure what face would be used (considering no vans have faces in CGI), but something like this would probably be a winner in many people's books.

Along the lines of train sets in large scale, I think I'm going to keep it simple.  With the DCC sound Thomas, Bachmann could easily do the same as they did with the HO Whistle and Chuff Thomas set.  When also considering the Percy set has the least sales (even behind the Christmas set),and that most people who buy a train set usually want one with Thomas, that raises the stakes.  I feel a large scale Emily set might also be an option (considering the HO one), but I wouldn't get your hopes up. 

As for DCC sound models in large scale, I've already said Emily will probably happen, and the same can most likely be said for Toby and James.  Although I'm sure someone's going to call me out on it, Winston is a fail for DCC sound.  The model is just too small to fit this feature into, and considering Bachmann didn't even add moving eyes, clearly they were struggling just to fit a motor in it.  If Bachmann is to introduce anymore locomotive into the range (being at least tank engine size), I'm sure they'll be adding DCC sound to them as well.

To wrap things up, unfortunately I feel Toad will suffer the same production issues as Henrietta.  The fact that his tooling can only be used for him alone, pretty much leads us down the same road as before.  In many cases, Bachmann wants to introduce rolling stock such as vans, tankers, and wagons which can be recolored to make variation of the same thing.  It's also clear that larger models such as Gordon, Henry, Donald, Douglas, etc are not going to happen because production costs are just too high for them.  Smaller tank engines like Duck, Bill, Ben, Rosie, etc have a better chance because production costs for them are lower (hence why Winston was announced).  Diesels like Mavis, Phillip, Paxton, Salty, etc are another story, but I feel it's too early to make a call for the same reasons I stated in the Mavis part of this post.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chaz

I definitely agree with most of the engine suggestions that you mentioned. You are not the first person I have seen bring up Duck in large scale, which admittedly I thought was an unusual request, but it does make more sense as you described since he did so well in each HO.  I also agree with your rolling stock suggestions too, I think troublesome truck #3 in large scale really would be better off being a van recolor as opposed to a cattle wagon like in HO.

Probably the only addition that I disagree with you on is Rosie, since Rosie was already a controversial announcement as it is in HO scale. I could see her having even worse sales in large scale than in HO. Then again, the only reason why I think they bothered to announce her in HO is because, as you said, Mattel shamelessly forced her into the range because of how she's a marketing tool more than an actual character.   Despite being marketed so shamelessly, it's obvious that the writers don't even like her and can't be bothered to make her do anything besides cameo, and frankly, I don't blame them...

Artfull Dodger

I would think any of the models with a 0-6-0 chassis would be a possiblity as it would share the drive that Thomas uses.   I would like to espically see Duck since I am a GWR fan, along with Diesel and Oliver.   Thier range of rolling stock is a god send for those of us in the states that like UK style trains and run live steamers made by Roundhouse.   To get proper UK style rolling stock, you need a bank loan, but since Bachmann brought out thier range, even though the scale is a bit of a miss match, the wagons and coaches look better than LGB product behind a UK style engine.  I pull my Emily coaches with a Roundhouse Argyll live steamer and am in the process of turning Emily into a non-Thomas engine with parts offered from the UK.   I would also love to see some of the buildings done in large scale, espically the glass canopy passenger station platforms.  Doubt we see that, buildings in LS need to be weather proof and that plastic isnt cheap.   Keep the LS products coming!      Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Artfull Dodger

I also think Bachmann needs to offer non Thomas version of the engines.  If there is enough market for companies to offer kits to convert engines like Emily to non Thomas.  Then if Bachmann offered them already this way, many more would sell as some folks do not want the hassle of doing the modeling work.  It would also sell more models making tooling costs easier to absorb when consideirng new models.   Take Diesel.  Do the Thomas version, then think of all the different companies and railways that used that shunting diesel that the Thomas one is based on.  Then take Duck, a GWR Pannier tank.   Several different styles of paint worn during just the GWR years, then British Rail along with the crimson London Transport.   An affordable option for UK mainline engines in large scale.   Even if the scale is fudged a bit, its better than nothing when it comes to large scale trains.   Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Chaz

I was actually surprised that Plow Bender didn't bring up Diesel in his post since he'd be a no-brainer in the range with a simple tooling with recolors to follow.  However, he did bring up that large scale diesels from Bachmann aren't really strong sellers which does make sense, even though Mavis could still be pulled off if bothered.  The conversion possibilities are certainly there for him (and Duck too), and so would the popularity of the character, but there may be hesitation as mentioned earlier, especially with how poor the large scale market has been in recent years.  

Even in the HO Thomas range, the sales for the diesels that they have made so far has been a real hit and miss. Diesel and Mavis were the only two that really seemed to do well when they first came out, while Arry and Bert didn't sell that well, and Salty was the first character in the range to get discontinued, which I think is saying something.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is a factor of why Bachmann hasn't gotten around to announcing Daisy or Paxton yet.

sean1994rail

Quote from: Chaz on December 18, 2016, 02:44:50 PM
I was actually surprised that Plow Bender didn't bring up Diesel in his post since he'd be a no-brainer in the range with a simple tooling with recolors to follow.  However, he did bring up that large scale diesels from Bachmann aren't really strong sellers which does make sense, even though Mavis could still be pulled off if bothered.  The conversion possibilities are certainly there for him (and Duck too), and so would the popularity of the character, but there may be hesitation as mentioned earlier, especially with how poor the large scale market has been in recent years.  

Even in the HO Thomas range, the sales for the diesels that they have made so far has been a real hit and miss. Diesel and Mavis were the only two that really seemed to do well when they first came out, while Arry and Bert didn't sell that well, and Salty was the first character in the range to get discontinued, which I think is saying something.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is a factor of why Bachmann hasn't gotten around to announcing Daisy or Paxton yet.
Yet, Salty did sell better than Iron Arry and Iron Bert too.