News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2017

Started by TrainFan97, February 29, 2016, 03:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plow_Bender

Quote from: WilsonProductions2 on January 04, 2017, 02:17:40 AM
^^ Yes, both Express Coaches need to be brought back. I am fed up waiting to get Henry's and Edward's Coaches now! I've been waiting for too long! ;)

Where are these Henry and Edward's coaches we're told about?  Henry and Edward never had their own coaches, nor did James and/or Gordon.  Technically none of the engines have/had their own coaches.  Yes I know some engines like Thomas, Emily, Connor, Caitlin, Toby, etc do, but that's beside the point.  Sure each character has been seen most commonly pulling a specific livery of coach, but that doesn't necessary make them that characters coaches.  Quite honestly they are just express coaches.

And where are we getting the idea that Gordon has nothing to pull?  Regardless what Gordon's mood is, we have seen him pulling trucks in the series.  Furthermore, we have seen Gordon pulling Spencer's coach (or coaches) in the series as well.  If neither of those work for you, perhaps the red coaches would be a good substitute.

To be fair though, bringing back the express coaches is questionable when considering that if they were/are so popular, why did Bachmann discontinue them in the first place?  If they were updating their tooling it would make sense, but it's been years since the models were taken out of the catalogue and nothing has been said/done since.  Either way I agree with Mr. Griffin that the express coaches are a necessity, but it's honestly a question of whether HIT/Mattel think the same...

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chaz

Even I'll admit, when I first read your post, I wasn't even sure what you meant by "Edward's coaches" or "Henry's coaches". I'm assuming that you meant the old coaches from season 1 for Edward, but not entirely sure what you meant in the case for Henry.  Could you maybe explain what you meant by that?

That being said, here are my two cents on the express coaches:

These were discontinued for a reason a couple of years ago, and that was because of the high price point and at the time these were not selling very well.  Out of all the products that have been discontinued though, including Salty, Gordon's express coaches seem to be the only ones with -somewhat- of a following and would probably be the only pieces of rolling stock I could see them actually bringing back.  Even then we have yet to see Bachmann "officially" bring back discontinued products, so that in itself is debatable.

However... I think I may have an even better idea than bringing these back.  

Consider the following:

• The red express coaches came back into the show just recently in season 20.  Bachmann technically made these before, but they were more in a dark maroon livery as opposed to the bright red livery that is more accurate to the show.

• Going back to last years announcements, we got the Sodor salt van and the GWR cattle wagon, which were basically recolors of the previous stock with similar names (cattle wagon and salt wagon) with liveries that both contrast from its predecessors.

• We also got troublesome truck #5 which was basically the exact same salt wagon we had earlier, with a black roof and the face added on to the wagon.

Taking these into account, I could see Bachmann releasing these express coaches in a more accurate red livery and give them new product names such as "Sodor express coach" and "Sodor express brake coach" or something along those lines.  This would make a lot more sense to me compared to "re-releases" as these would technically be considered new products and thus would attract even more customers into buying them as opposed to satisfying those who missed out on the predecessors which proved to not be popular when they were around.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

WilsonProductions2

^ Chaz, I am talking about the Express Coaches, not the Old Coaches from Series 1, although it would be nice if these were released, however, I doubt they will be! These are what I am talking about:

Green and Yellow Express Coaches (Gordon's Coaches) - http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/c/ce/AsGoodasGordon49.png/revision/latest?cb=20141226055958/

Green and White Express Coaches (Edward's Coaches) - http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/b/ba/Bertie%27sChase26.png/revision/latest?cb=20121022135622/

Red and Yellow Express Coaches (Henry's Coaches) - http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/b/bb/TooHotForThomas19.png/revision/latest?cb=20141011152128/

Red and White Express Coaches (James' Coaches) - http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/2/20/TheRunawayRedCoaches.png/revision/latest?cb=201612242350500/

All four images are taken from the Thomas & Friends Wikia.

donaldthescottishtwin

The livery's and styles just changed in different seasons, they are express coaches for the railway they are not exclusive to any character it's just the merchandising that added the "Gordon's coaches" and "James coaches" labels.

WilsonProductions2

^ donaldthescottishtwin, the coaches and the loco's I have put together, do go together.

donaldthescottishtwin

Duck, Percy, Thomas, Murdoch and Donald & Douglas have all hauled these coaches too.

WilsonProductions2

^ I know that, but they are mainly for those engines, as for what I listed in my early comment, Reply #212.

sean1994rail

Quote from: Plow Bender on January 06, 2017, 03:33:19 PM
Quote from: WilsonProductions2 on January 06, 2017, 02:21:59 PM
^ donaldthescottishtwin, the coaches and the loco's I have put together, do go together.

You're not listening, get the car key out of your ear...  As Mr. DTST said in his earlier post, the styles and livery's of the coaches have changed from season to season.  For example, in seasons 1-4 we had (what I'm calling them), the classic express coaches.  When TATMRR/Season 5 came along, these models were replaced with new ones.  The same thing happened when season 13 came along, but in this case the models were replaced with CGI renders.  I probably missed a change somewhere between seasons 5-13, but I think I've made my point.

In response to Chaz though, I agree with you that Bachmann would make out better releasing the express coaches in a more accurate livery and under a new product name.  From memory, the previous express coaches didn't look much like their TV series counterparts which (as you said), was probably the reason for the lack of interest/sales.  Introducing the express coaches as new products rather than re-releases could potentially attract more interest just like the rolling stock that you mentioned earlier.  There's a good chance that if Bachmann brought in new express coaches (as described earlier), they may in fact gain more  interest than what we were served up years ago.

-Rusty
The earlier episodes also had 4 wheel Tan Coaches similar to Annie and Clarabel as well as The Old Coaches. I assume they must be Henry's and Edward's respective coaches?

WilsonProductions2

^ Are you talking about the Old Coaches painted in LNER Teak livery, as seen here: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/f/f7/LNERTeakCoaches.png/revision/latest?cb=20161101015425/ ?

I am honestly talking about the Express Coaches everyone, when I use the phrases, 'Edward's Coaches' and 'Henry's Coaches'. I am not talking about the Old Coaches or the Branchline Coaches. I am talking about the Express Coaches.

Metal

I'm sure that Bachmann will consider bring back their express coach, but if they don't this year. Then think outside the box. I mean considering that Hornby currently has Express Coaches for their Thomas range, they could serve as decent alternatives to Bachmann's for the time being.

WilsonProductions2

Well Bachmann may re-release the Express Coaches, according to Bachmann themselves in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBl1e0wWbRU/.lease view around the 11:00 mark for it. I do specially I want the Bachmann Red Express Coaches though, as they have the yellow. Hornby's have the white.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: WilsonProductions2 on January 06, 2017, 05:39:02 PM
Well Bachmann may re-release the Express Coaches, according to Bachmann themselves in this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBl1e0wWbRU/.lease view around the 11:00 mark for it.

*facedesk*

Yes, Bachmann may re-release the express coaches because a Bachmann rep clearly said so in an interview with a Thomas noob.  :P

Anyone in their right mind would not believe something so, so... stupid I guess would be the right word...  Bachmann reps are not permitted (by the company) to give out details such as what plans are for future products.  That being the case, I'm sure this would especially apply to selfish kids on YouTube who are just out to discover the next biggest thing from Bachmann so they themselves can feel important and give others a reason to be jealous.  In other words, interviews or videos like this are just made for attention/publicity...

Personally Chaz and Griffin made much more sense on the topic of express coaches being released in their posts by making a statement and backing it up with reason.  There was no need to bring up poorly done interviews and assumptions by fans.  Any intelligent person would know that.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

DinoNTrains

Quote from: HLC Railroad on January 08, 2017, 10:14:39 PM
A thought just came to me. If they did Winston as a model, maybe they can do skiff. They're both small and from the CGI series so I don't think it's that much of a stretch. I doubt they'd do it in 2017 as Winston just came out and they need time to analyze sales. Anyways what do you guys think of a Bachmann Skiff?

Skiff would be a great idea! However, would Skiff be motorized or non-motorized? I can see a Skiff model go either way.
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

TrainshockeylifE

My thoughts are bachmann should make lady, she's not a big engine and she wouldn't cost that much. Bachmann can use Percy's chassis and just paint her. Thoughts? Ideas? ????

Captain Crutch

Lady was only seen twice. Once in The Magic Railroad (which isn't even considered cannon) and once in Calling All Engines in a dream sequence of her telling Thomas how steamies and diesels work together. So while I'd love it I don't think it's likely unless they bring her into the CGI series., unfortunately.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!