News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

finger flick switching.

Started by GRZ, March 05, 2016, 05:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRZ

Had new knees installed, this gave me some tv time, love that u tube, watching a sweet logging set up from  down Maine, called alagash logging. wow if only I could find out how he changed the peco switchs to do that trick I have a dbl crossover in a tight spot and no room for switch stands. been setting that way for years now, no room from under side eather.  not flexable enough to reach in eather..when I bult this  layout 4'1\2x7' set up I wanted to slip one train into the inner track [good timeing] and the inner to the outer  track. now that I converted to dcc using the dynmas system I think that would be the cats meow.   Ive tried a few things none worked very good. I have 36 foot stock  cars  and 4-4-0s that work very well for me. thank you very much for any help. GRZ.   

Ken G Price

From your description I'm not sure if this is any help.
This is how I reach to out of the way Atlas and Peco switches.

Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

electrical whiz kid

GRZ;
How did that knee operation go?   I get the idea you and I are about the same age.   Mine are killing me, so after this shoulder thing, they're next!

I have an idea and a lot of caboose levers; music wire from the turnout to the  edge of the layout.  I have been mulling that one over for a while.
In terms of recuperation, I have a bunch of South River, Bar Mills, etc.; kits to keep me in one place...and a life partner who won't take my guff.

Rich C.

Deland

whiz, I would tell you knee surgery is nothing but since my wife and I have 7 between us, I think we're just jaded or maybe used to it.

I'm thinking a switch could be operated manually with a cable, like a lawnmower cable only better sized and smoother operation. I don't know if you could get to it to do that or if it would be possible to hide that cable. You would have to have a clamp down point.

electrical whiz kid

Mornin' all;

Yeah-my thoughts on it would be to have a sort of shelf-but about an inch and a half or so down from the level of the terrain.  Set the mechanisms on the shelf, screw them down, through a small hole, run a piece of music wire from the mechanism to the turnout in question, and attach it so as to make the turnout move.  All of this can be length of flexible plastic tube just large enough to contain the wire, and just use those little plastic straps that you slide around the tube.

I think some modifications to this apparatus-like a slide switch that can be used for powering the turnout, the aspects of a signal, etc-would also work.  Hard-to-reach areas could be tackled by conventional means, like tortoise, etc.

Rich C.

GRZ

first let me apologize for not giving information one could understand. there is no room to do any of the sugestions that were  offerd, NO-ROOM for any of those ideas. now to find this layout in Maine, ho logging allagash new switching andover Maine. this is a wonderfull little set up. Im a dummy when it comes to confuzers ect  my wife foun out how to make our T V work this u  tube. boy you wont believe what you can find here. and NO-ADVERTISING  ether..thank you all Grz

WoundedBear

This appears to be the video you're all excited about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbuGSGmNWaw

I think he's using spring loaded turnouts.....either factory ones like Peco, or he's made over centering springs. All he seems to be doing is moving the point rails with his fingers. What's the mystery?

Sid

AGSB

In order for the "finger flick" to work, the switches have to be spring loaded in order for them to stay in the direction they are placed. Peco switches are spring loaded to start with unless the spring has been removed so they operate with switch machines (manual or electric) as are Atlas "Snap Switches". If your switch is not spring loaded, here is a video on how to manufacture a spring to make them so. It is for N scale but should be easily adaptable for HO.
https://youtu.be/9rfZpe1LNjk

GRZ

I guess that tells the story, piano wire the correct size some fooling around and finger flick switch.  no mist'y just could not see what kept the points held in place. my switchs are 40 yrs old or more so no spring loading .thank you all. will let you know how I make out.Grz

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
There is something I had thought of this afternoon; those wire retainers used for holding insulation in place-you in Canada would use them to hold insulation in the basement joist system on the first floor-electric heat...
Those wires are in two lengths; 18 and 24 inch.  A knob fashioned to fit on the wire and attached to the linkage-either underneath or camouflaged "on deck".  It is pretty simple, and when used in conjunction with the Peco turnout, just might be the ticket.

Rich C.

WoundedBear

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on March 06, 2016, 03:49:36 PM
those wire retainers used for holding insulation in place-you in Canada would use them to hold insulation in the basement joist system on the first floor-electric heat...
Rich C.

They must build em different down there Rich.....lol. I can't say as I've ever seen a home up here with insulation in the basement ceiling.

Sid

electrical whiz kid

Sid;
I had been my prior understanding [that houses built] in this area (New England) fired by electric heat are insulated by a different set of standards than another alternative hear source.  It is also my understanding [that Canada] has a lot of hydro (hence the name; "Hydro Quebec") power, and that is, of course, a cheap alternative.  The Canadians do know how to do some things better than most Americans, methinks...
In a house, in The States, that is electrically heated, the insulation is approached differently.  The basement ceiling (the structure comprising the first floor and the basement ceiling, is insulated.  Here is where these stays come into play. 
Rich C.

jbrock27

Don't rates tend to go UP during winter (ice) time as well bc there is less water running into the river and over the falls, hence, less power generating ability?
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Call Hydro Quebec for details.

Rich C.

electrical whiz kid

Wayne;
Thanks for the 'enlightenment'.  I had solar installed this past summer-and yes, it does make a big difference. 
I have a couple of Atlas C-420 diesel locomotives I believe 'Canadian National' used them.  If so, could you tell me where I can find the paint scheme.  They look like a cross between an RS-11 and a Baldwin hood.  I like them so much, I will run them with steam...

On turnout finger-flicking ( we have to be real careful saying that-being completely sober would be helpful...) I have seen several variations on the theme of mechanical controlling of turnouts.  Figured I'd try it.  Had some music wire (I think 5th or 6th guitar strings-heavy- would also work), so I took a section of plywood, mounted the turnout-a Peco-on it, set up some small screw-in eyes, and ran the wire to it.  it worked very good.  I think Linn Westcott had done an article in MR some time ago, on this subject.  I will look through back issues if I have time.