News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Crossing Gate Kit #44879

Started by GRASHLEY, March 15, 2016, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRASHLEY

I just received a brand new, sealed box Crossing Gate Kit for a "fun" layout on a family room shelf.  It is a simple dog bone.  When I installed it, I was a little surprised to see it was a mechanical gate closing system.  There is a plate between the tracks that the train presses down to close the gates.  This plate sits HIGHER than the rails.  The first loco I tried was a Kato F3A, which hit the plate, stopping dead in its' tracks.  Next, I tried an Atlas GP9, which hit the plate, but did cross.  Going the opposite direction, it barely cleared.  I rolled one box car over, and it hit, too.

This is a layout I like to just run unattended in the evening and listen to the clack clack.  This accessory was supposed to add a little interest, but I am afraid to run anything across this unattended.

There were no instructions at all beyond where to stick the cross bucks.  Is this plate height normal??  Is it adjustable??  Does anyone else have this accessory?  Does it work for you??

Fred Klein

I own one of these Crossing Gates also - have had it for several years. It looks real nice sitting in its box in the closet. On the layout it isn't worth the effort to install it. I had the same problems you described and spent a LOT of time trying to form the little arms and springs to get it to work smoothly, but it never did. I finally gave up on it out of frustration.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

GRASHLEY

Thank You, Fred.  Did you make any attempt to make the gate stay down permanently?  For my purposes, this may work.

James in FL

You need to get some needle files.
There is no reason to have a "90° step" at track sections (joins).

I had one about 20 years ago or so.
IIRC, the gate always bounced.
Even if your cars weigh the exact same, the gates will still bounce.
More of a novelty, (IMO), than an accurately functioning accessory.
File at least a 45° angle on that plastic plate between the rails.

Fred Klein

Quote from: GRASHLEY on March 17, 2016, 05:35:53 PM
Thank You, Fred.  Did you make any attempt to make the gate stay down permanently?  For my purposes, this may work.

No, I finally gave up on the darn thing. As I said, it looks real nice sitting in its box in the closet.

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL