News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Looking forward to a USRA 4-6-2 Pacific

Started by bnoem1, March 08, 2016, 05:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J3a-614

For admirers of the B&O P-7, its dimensions, including driver and cylinder sizes, are essentially the same as those of the PRR K4s, and it even has the same lacy looking valve gear the PRR used.  In fact, it's essentially a K4s with a radial stay boiler and 250 psi steam pressure vs. the PRR's 205 psi.  All you would really need would be the superstructure, tender, and maybe a slightly altered cylinder block. 

I actually looked at doing something like this when Bowser still made K-4s in HO; it was quite amazing to see how close everything was between the two engines, even though they looked quite different.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: J3a-614 on March 15, 2016, 07:07:44 PM
For admirers of the B&O P-7, its dimensions, including driver and cylinder sizes, are essentially the same as those of the PRR K4s, and it even has the same lacy looking valve gear the PRR used.  In fact, it's essentially a K4s with a radial stay boiler and 250 psi steam pressure vs. the PRR's 205 psi.  All you would really need would be the superstructure, tender, and maybe a slightly altered cylinder block. 

I actually looked at doing something like this when Bowser still made K-4s in HO; it was quite amazing to see how close everything was between the two engines, even though they looked quite different.

I wonder if a 3D artist could make an engine and tender shell for this, so one could have it 3D printed. I really need to get into it, I could make lots of locomotive shells and that ilk for mechanisms.

J3a-614

I had some comments about just this subject and other possible engines.  Rye, you might want to forward this to your 3-D printing man, maybe it's something he can use. . .

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,14020.0.html