News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3D printed 4-8-4

Started by ryeguyisme, March 18, 2016, 04:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

Hey all, figured I might as well share with you a project I've been working on.

I recently purchased a Western Maryland 4-8-4 3D print from Shapeways and I was planning on recreating a D&RGW M-68 in N scale. Thanks to James in FL for the measurements of the Bachmann AT&SF 4-8-4, I'm now able to bring this idea to life.

The other mess of parts is for an N scale Ditcher

The shell will obviously need modification removing the large sand dome and moving the smaller one to the front part of the boiler and details added and the like. The project seems pretty straightforward. Cannot wait to finish this one!

James in FL

I'd like to follow this build, if you wouldn't mind posting pictures every now and then.
And you're very welcome, glad I could help.
Is that FUD?

I'm using this same chassis for a "Big Apple" build I've been working on and off for about 6 months.

Would it be possible of you to ask your Shapeways supplier to make an N scale tender auger?

That's what's been holding me up. I cannot find any, anywhere.
Do you know a source?

Feel free to pm...

ryeguyisme

It is FUD, and the guy has a shop where he sells some of diesel and steam  conversions for Eastern Roads: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/md%20shops

I have asked him for things directly and he has released his other WM Tender for purchase before, he made a WM 2-8-0 conversion for the Spectrum Connie however at the moment it's not currently listed for sale.

He also has a conversion for PRR Tenders and Cabs, and a CNJ Switching Diesel among other neat things.

I will definitely be keeping posted on the project here, my goal would be to inspire others and hope maybe 3D printing will get more popular in N scale so hopefully more new  models will be produced :)

When you say Big Apple class, is it a Niagara you're creating or something different?

James in FL

QuoteWhen you say Big Apple class, is it a Niagara you're creating or something different?

An attempt at this;

Note the auger.

ryeguyisme

Why not take a Con-cor Hudson tender and crop it down? It looks very close to an NYC Hudson Tender, and you can use squadron putty to cover up the seams.

James in FL

QuoteWhy not take a Con-cor Hudson tender and crop it down?

Have done exactly that, but I use glazing putty instead of squadron putties.
I have pm'ed you for a link to the build on another forum.

propmeup1

Was trying to find "shapeways" no luck. what em I missing ?

Keith

ryeguyisme

James in FL

Thanks for the offer on the lokie shell, but I have way too many irons in the fire to even consider it.
For now I'm going with what I have.
Without swapping to a more refined mechanism (which I don't yet have) there is only so much that can be done.
Because of that, I've had to make a choice of when to say when with that build.
Resources are better utilized on other projects at this time.
400+ pages of Shapeways products and not a single n scale auger.
Going to have to bite the bullet and scratch one.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: James in FL on March 20, 2016, 11:44:27 AM
400+ pages of Shapeways products and not a single n scale auger.
Going to have to bite the bullet and scratch one.

Oh I see, well I'm guessing you're doing it so you can have that empty coal load look right? I wonder if you could make one from a small screw of sorts.

Here's some progress photos:

I figure i I can cut out the domes and re-use them if necessary, and my theory seems to work!

I have a junk 3D print of a D&SL 2-6-6-0 that I was thinking of using the parts to make a D&SL 2-8-2 Mikado for the D&RGW considering they shared the same domes, tender and cab.

ryeguyisme

Some update pictures of the M-68:

Mike C

The boiler shape is much better !  But the bands are a bit too big .  Just constructive criticisim .

James in FL

Thanks for the update pics.
Good to see at least one of us is making some progress.

gatrhumpy

Looks great! Nice job!