News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Brighter headlight on 2-8-4?

Started by bnoem1, March 20, 2016, 04:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnoem1

Does anyone know of a way to get the headlight brighter on the 2-8-4?  I've messed with some CV values but nothing helps.  Kind of my only complaint about some of the steam these days is that the headlight is so weak.  Thanks for helping.

Mike C

Without changing the decoder , no .  I swapped in an Soundtraxx Econami decoder and used 1000 ohm 1/4 watt resistors on both lights .  Got better sound , and motor control too .  The stock decoder does have a dimmer switch , make sure F7 isn't on on your controller , it changes the headlight output to full or dim . 

gatrhumpy

Try the suggestion as above, and if that doesn't work, you'll need to find and change the resistor that is attached to the headlight.

spookshow

I bet that dual headlight mask on the lens probably accounts for a lot of the dimness. If you're not married to prototypical accuracy, you could try removing it.

Cheers,
-Mark

Mike C

Good point Mark . Mine are the C&O versions with the single headlight . From the factory they are a bit dim , but not as dim as the stock 2-8-0 .

spookshow

I didn't know there were different versions? Mine is a C&O as well, but it definitely has a double-bulb headlight.

I don't have a picture handy, but it's basically like the EM-1 (except that the "bulbs" are stacked instead of side-by-side) -

Cheers,
-Mark

spookshow

Here's my Berk -

The masking isn't particularly noticeable unless you're in there up close looking for it. But in any case, I'd assume the headlight would look a lot brighter without it.

Cheers,
-Mark

Mike C

Well , I'll be um , darned .  I never noticed that before . Maybe the brightness has to do with bulb position . I notice mine mostly shine out of the top part of the mask . OK , so it looks like the "mask" is painted on . I took a sharp Exacto knife and was able to scrape most of it off . Doesn't make it any brighter , but it is a bit more noticeable .