Ready Made Toys "Beep" (Geep) Diesel loco wiring issue

Started by jpstrainyard, March 25, 2016, 07:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes:

I have a Ready Made Toys (similar to the old Kusan & Williams) "Beep" (Geep) diesel loco chassis. I can include pics in a separate post, if needed.
One day, a small wire came disconnected from a motor terminal, and a board terminal. I know which motor terminal to reattach the wire to, but I don't know which board terminal to reattach the wire to.
If anyone on here has a Ready Made Toys Geep, or the Kusan, or Williams version, and could help indicate where on the board, the wire reattaches to, that would be most helpful.
Pics or diagrams would also be helpful.

Thanks.
-JP
Sincerely: JP

Len

Is this an older 'Beep' or a newer one? There are slight differences in the circuit board.
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jpstrainyard

JP, of Acton MA, USA wirtes:
Hi Len.
It was a Union Pacific 'Beep' loco. From the first production run of the RMT 'Beep' locos.
-JP

Len

Okay. I've got a couple of early 'Beeps' stashed in the garage. If I can find the box, I'll take a peek and see where the motor wires go.

Len

jpstrainyard

Len

Okay, finally found the box with the 'Beep' in it and made a diagram of the circuit board to motor connections.

The lights are just in parallel with the motor at each end, so I left them off for clarity. It's a little confusing, but not super complex. Because the motors are on opposite sides of the gears on each end, they have to rotate in opposite directions when operating. Which is why the Red Wire goes from the right hand terminal of motor M1 to the left hand terminal of motor M2, and the Black Wire is just the opposite, going from M1's left terminal to M2's right terminal.

On the PC board, above the green line, there is a solder point marked BRN that has a BLACK wire connected to it. This BLACK wire (the label shifted down when I saved the file) goes to the M1 right hand terminal with the RED wire going to M2. Between the LM380N IC chips there is a solder point labeled BLU. It has a RED wire going to the M1 left hand terminal with the BLACK wire going to M2.

On the right end of the PC board there are two solder points labeled WHT1 and WHT2. They both have BLACK wires going to the Direction Lock switch. On the left end of the PCB (not shown) are two solder points labeled ROL and WHL. ROL has a RED wire going to the pick-up rollers, WHL has a BLACK wire going to the chassis.

Hope this helps.
Len

jpstrainyard

Hi Len.
Thank you so much.
This should be very helpful, as its more detailed than the diagram I got from RMT, which didn't show what I needed to see.

-JP

Len

I experimented a little today and discovered it doesn't matter which side of motor M1 the wires from the BRN and BLU solder points go. If they get switched the only thing that happens is the initial power on direction end gets switched. Which is no big deal with the Beep, since the shell is easily reversed on the chassis.

Len

jpstrainyard