Why no new Williams product this year?

Started by prrhorseshoecurve, April 14, 2016, 10:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prrhorseshoecurve

Seriously, O gauge is STARVING for new products esp locomotives and unique scale freight cars. Why Bachmann doesn't jump onthi opportunity is beyond me, esp when Weaver models closed and now rmt- there are two less players in the market place these days.

O gauge is STARVING for a scale gp40-2 and an updated chopped nose  scale GP unit as well. Living off the wbb blaze blaze product line has to be taking its toll on the bottom line. Just throwing in a sound unit will not cut it for today's high msrp. People want to see a new product that has not been done before. Just look at the successful GE 44 tonner. It's been two years since mth copycat announcement of doing a 44 tonner when the Bachmann model is already on the streets enjoying sales.

phillyreading

How about a new caboose style??
The N5C has seen it's life span!
We need another style of caboose, even a work caboose would be great!

That's my 2 cents on the subject.

Lee F.

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes:
Perhaps, the reason why there are no new Williams products, is because takes a train load of $$$$ and resources, especially to make the molds, and the castings for new products. Its usually cheaper for WBB to simply re-hash previous products, vs. introducing new products.
Companies like Lionel and MTH continue to introduce new stuff, all the time, while WBB is more 'relaxed' and 'laid back'.
Just saying. Don't have to take my word for it.
-JP
Sincerely: JP

phillyreading

I think that Atlas O might be buying Weaver molds, not 100% sure.

RMT seems to have sold out to another company, or somebody to get rid of their inventory. Not 100% sure on that either, but there is a company selling some items that look just like RMT stuff.\

It would have been nice for Williams to come out with something new. As I know the H.O. line usually gets about 3 to 5 new items per year.

Lee F.

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes: As far as I understand, RMT will be completely out of business, by the end of April 2016.
I know that Aristo Craft (temporarily) took over the RMT production, selling trains under the RMT by Arist'O' name, but that was short lived, since Aristo Craft ended up going out of business, now under the Polk's Generation Next name.
As for Weaver, It looks like Lionel will be taking over, using Weaver tooling to create freight cars under the Lion Scale name.

-JP

phillyreading

As far as Aristo Craft they were partners with Walter M. and RMT for a little while.

News to me about Lionel buying Weaver, as I think that would be like Sears buying K-Mart.

Lee F.

jpstrainyard

Lee, Here is a link to a TCA video, that mentions that Lionel will be producing Weaver products.
http://tcamembers.org/netvision/lionel.htm

Weaver actually went out of business, sometime in 2015.
-JP

phillyreading

JP,

So Lionel is buying and using certain Weaver products, not all the Weaver line, correct?
There was something mentioned on another forum about Lionel buying some Weaver engine molds.
Atlas might be buying some Weaver stuff as well.
Will be very interesting to see what happens.

Lee F.

jpstrainyard

For the time being, Lionel will start out with producing the Weaver freight cars.
Interesting to know about Lionel buying Weaver engine molds, and
Atlas buying some Weaver stuff as well.

I agree, it would be interesting to see what happens.
-JP

r0gruth

Phillyreading,

Actually K-Mart bought Sears but the holding company uses the Sears name.

Some years ago in railroading I think D&RG bought SP and the company used the SP name.

The above are much more complicated.
Roger