News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C-19 Headlight repair

Started by SERABILL, March 31, 2016, 02:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SERABILL

I am working on a C-19. The headight kept failing and now seems quite dead on both the DC and DCC positions. I want to get to the switches behind the smokwbox cover and the circuit baord behind it to find out where the system is failing. Do I habe to pull the whole boiler to do this?

edmc

like all Bachmann locos the smoke box cover will slide out of the smoke box.. but before doing that check the connectors
between the tender and loco, I've had problems with those and the head light not working. also remember the lighting
power comes off the ckt board in the tender.. also if you had installed a new style revolution card in the p-n-p socket some extra wiring is needed..ed

SERABILL

I am suspicious about the connector to the tender. How do I figure out which wires and cable are for the headlight?

Kevin Strong

To my knowledge, the electronics which control the headlight are inside the boiler. At least, when I was installing the electronics, I couldn't find a dedicated lead running between the locomotive and tender specifically for the headlight. The class lamps have one, but not the headlight.

Later,

K

SERABILL

The problem was a brpoken wire on the headlight LED. It is basically unaccessable without removing the boiler. Even with the boiler off, there is no obvious way to remove the smokebox front and the headlight wires are too short to work on without removing the boiler.

edmc

the boiler front is a replaceable part, on the parts list. I ordered one for use in another style Bachmann loco,
popped right in.. headlight.. glad you found the problem.. in the tender on the front wiring solder pads yellow wire on #4 is the head light return, if you remove it and add a 680 ohm resistor and solder to a ground pad on J1 the light will be on when power is on.. all my battery powered locomotives run this way..  Ed