News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

T&P 4-6-0 - Oil Bunker for Tender, Mr B?

Started by Searsport, April 09, 2016, 07:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

The T&P 4-6-0 was on my list, but I paused after finding the new 4-6-0 models had been down-detailed. But I just saw a large-size photo of the ATSF version showing the opposite side to all the Bachmann stock photos, and the left side looks distinctly better as there is more separately applied detail. This caused me to re-visit the T&P model.

I am not sure what Bachmann are intending here, but I have assumed it is to model the loco as preserved and running on the Texas State Railroad. There are some great vids of this online - search for "Texas State Railroad - Rebirth of T&P #316". There are a couple of points about the model:

Use of Bachmann's small Baldwin tender is correct, but the real #316 has an oil bunker, not coal. This is an easy fix as Bachmann have produced an oil bunker for this tender, as used on the Great Northern 4-4-0 and in the undec Baldwin 4-4-0 as a spare. Unfortunately the spare parts store does not list the oil bunker separately, but only with the GN tender shell, which is sold out. Maybe the Bachmann could make the bunker available again, and maybe add it in with the model in future?

The loco itself is more of an issue. In Bachmann terms the original is "high boiler", i.e. it has high footboards above groups of pipes and air cylinders on both sides. However, there are aspects of the old Spectrum high-boiler 4-6-0 model which don't look right for #316, notably the four levels of footboard on the left side and the vacuum brake cylinders below the highest of these. So all-in-all the low-boiler model may be the best compromise in terms of appearance.

Finally, you will see from the vids that the real loco and tender are painted in high-gloss. Again this can be fixed - by the brave!

Just some thoughts,
Bill.

electrical whiz kid

Bill;
If you go to Bachmann's 'Parts, service and information' section here, you can find the parts needed to do conversions to models, or even the whole tender.  I haven't looked yet, but if you look to the other models of steamers, parts, etc.; I am sure you can find any compromise.  Of course, there is always cross-kitting, etc. 
I am not a big fan of low-boiler locomotives, other than in Narrow-gauge.
Me?  I am not particularly afraid to rip into something to make changes I like; a lot of modellers share my sentiments.  I am not saying I will wind up with a contest winner, but I will have what I want.
An oil bunker shouldn't be a particularly daunting challenge.

Rich C.   

Searsport

Hi Rich, thanks for your comments. I have had a good look through the spare parts catalog and can find no equivalent to the original oil bunker for the small Baldwin tender. That is unfortunate, as I suspect that the ATSF 4-6-0 would also more likely have an oil bunker than coal, and many of the Seaboard 4-4-0s on their Florida branch lines were converted to oil to reduce the risk of fires caused by flying sparks. (Apparently a SAL loco actually burnt down a station in the 1920s, and the SAL was subject to frequent law suits from farmers whose crops they burned, according to the Prince book). In which context the wood bunker load for the Richmond 4-4-0 also no longer seems to be available in the Bachmann spares catalog.

On low boiler locos for standard gauge, I am sure you will know that the Bachmann 4-6-0 is actually based on Maryland & Pennsylvania #27 + 28, which it closely represents. This pair were bought off-the-shelf-from Baldwin, so Baldwin must have supplied more or less identical locos to other RRs, though I don't know how many they actually built. However, they did supply more or less identical locos to several small Florida RRs which the SAL eventually absorbed, as can bee seen in photos on the various Tap Lines web pages. These include four with 54" drivers built 1907-10 for the Charlotte Harbor and Northern as CH&N #26-29, one of which (#28) survived to become SAL #689 and lasted until 1934, and several to the Georgia, Florida & Alabama, including a pair with 50" drivers supplied by Baldwin in 1901-2 as GF&A #s 5+6, later re-numbered #s 122+123, and finally SAL #s 684+685, where they lasted until 1930. I think some of these were also converted to oil in later years. Apparently these light 4-6-0s were ideal for the lightly laid Florida branch lines running over soft ground, along with light, small driver Baldwin 2-8-0s (again also supplied to the M&PA as #s 23-26, built Baldwin 1902-12 and contemporary with and very similar to the small Baldwin 4-6-0s. Also, ultimately, several decapods for Florida, including six built 1924-6 by Baldwin for the GF&A as #s 400-405, all inherited by the SAL as #s 523-528 and survived until 1951-3.

I had hoped that one day Bachmann might produce the M&PA small Baldwin 2-8-0s to complete their M&PA suite, but the move away from Spectrum standards makes this unlikely, though fortunately I do have M&PA 2-8-0 #26 by Aristocraft, got at a reasonable price on ebay some years ago. But a Spectrum undec w/sound model would have been very nice. The closest RTR equivalent is probably the venerable Roundhouse 2-8-0, which has appeared for various RRs but never the M&PA, so far as I know. I don't have one, but I do have the Roundhouse 2-6-0, which in model terms is a close stablemate and sounds like a coffee grinder.

Best Regards,
Bill.

electrical whiz kid

I may be mistaken, but didn't Roundhouse at one time, produce a 'Ma and pa' 2-8-0?  There is-at this time-much in the parts of manufacturers, If one looks hard enough, one can usually find it.  I recently purchased some chassis and drivers I had been looking for a long time; however, I wanted the eccentric cranks, etc. and had to scrounge around looking for them-I found them. 
As for the oil bunker;  I don't know how far you looked, but there is an oil type tender, both frame and superstructure are there.  To me, I would gather what I thought I would need-Bachmann parts are very good quality-and just plan it out as I saw fit.  Most guys here would probably tell you something similar.  One thing:  I am not sure of the composition, but the plastic Kader uses doesn't appear to be styrene.

Rich C.   

WoundedBear

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 21, 2016, 11:42:51 AM
  One thing:  I am not sure of the composition, but the plastic Kader uses doesn't appear to be styrene.

Rich C.   

Rich.......most of the plastic used in loco bodies is ABS....still a form of styrene, but with some different properties that make it more useful in toy manufacturing, among other things.

Sid

electrical whiz kid

Sid;
Yep...Now I remember.  One thing it does is have great detail resolution.  Some of this stuff, when modified with brass parts can produce a highly  detailed noteworthy model.  This is why I had earlier, endorsed the lighter detailing on the models-brass investment castings give a better 'finish'.  In most cases today, Bachmann in particular, the model structure-wise is a great place to start.  At least in my case. 

RIch c.

Trainman203

I always heard that the mdc 2-8-0 was a standard gauge rough interpretation of a D&RG C-16.

electrical whiz kid

Trainman;
I have three Roundhouse HOn3 2-8-0 locomotives; one still in the box.  These are about forty years old.  To me, this was an oddity for MDC to market this loco.  It's prototype was a C-25, built by Baldwin, and sold to the Crystal River Ry.  One still exists in the cane fields of Cuba...
To me, this boiler would be a shoe-in for a replacement on a Bachmann 2-8-0-or even a high-boilered 4-6-0.  Now, I like that thought as, personally, even though it is a great little locomotive, I tend to look at it's low-slung boiler with contempt; so one day, I just may take the plunge, find an MDC 2-8-0, and do some "customizing"...

RIch C.