News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Converting old split frame diesels.

Started by Irbricksceo, April 11, 2016, 10:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Hey all. I just obtained an old Spectrum GP30. I'm usually a steam guy but the price was like 30 bucks and I'm somewhat fond of the Gp's. Anyway, turns out it was older than I thought because it has a split frame design. Is there  a good guide to converting it to DCC? I'm having trouble figuring out what to do and my attempt to isolate the motor failed.

Also, the decoder I was using had a few wires come out when I reclaimed it from a failed project. Is there a good schematic showing which contact on the main decoder board do what? I'd rather not waste it since decoders are expensive.
Modeling NYC in N

brokenrail

First disassemble the thing .with the motor out ,find some wire cutters and clip off the motor contact brass strips.Not all the way .Leave enough so you can solder a wire to each,but not too long that it hangs past the side of the motor.MARK THE MOTOR WITCH SIDE IS UP. This way you know .Use flux paste so you can tin the wire ends and  each tab on the motor.Do not leave the soldering iron on the motor too long or you will destroy the brush holder when soldering the wires to the motor.
Cut the contact strips off the truck pickups where they contact the frame.I take them off to do this to be safe by removing the screws.VEry small Phillips head.
get the right size screwdriver or you will strip them out.
Use the motor as a magnet to hold all 4 screws so you will not lose them ,but make sure they do not go inside the vent hole.
Mark the frame where the top motor contact is (brush holder area).
File a notch in each frame half so both motor wires have enough room to get through the frame half's without pinching when it is assembled.
The truck wires come up through the space in front of the plastic truck mount so no drilling or filing is required.They just go through the top and hook to your motor wires and or your decoder. There are many good videos that do this conversion that will make it run well. Also use fine flexible copper wire for the trucks to keep them from binding.
Good Luck,
Johnny ;)

jward

here is the definitive guide to dcc conversion of split frame diesels, courtesy of the late jim banner who was once a regular here.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

There are also instructions for doing a split-frame GP35 on the TCS site at:

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/GP35/GP35.html

While it shows a TCS decoder being installed, the instructions would be the same for any other brand you choose to use.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Irbricksceo

thanks, i'll give this a try once I can secure a new decoder (unless I can figure out how to re-attach the wires to the one I salvaged). I did have one oddity though, upon dissasembly, unless I'm crazy, there were no "brush caps", in fact, no springs either. Is this a problem? I do not know enough about DC motors to know.
Modeling NYC in N

jward

the motor will not operate without brushes and springs to keep tension on them,
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Irbricksceo

I found a spring where I disasemled it. I never even noticed it. Wow, I've disasembled a lot of steamers, never saw this. I'm kind of curious what the spring is for, may have to look into that one. Oh well, maybe I'll find the tiny springs. if not, I MIGHT have a spare motor in an old parts box somewhere, but I think I threw it out after using it for a project a few years back. This is a shame.

Edit: I did actually grab two (though they are different roadnames). If I cannot find a motor/the springs, I could always convert this one to a dummy loco, though it will pain me to do so
Modeling NYC in N

Irbricksceo

never found the second spring. Oh well, at least I only payed 30 bucks. I'll just keep it aside for a while. I'll monitor ebay, maybe someday somebody will sell one "for parts" that I could use. I know cracked-gear diesels show up from time to time.
Modeling NYC in N

Irbricksceo

Quote from: bapguy on April 13, 2016, 02:27:10 PM
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_183&products_id=1267

Will this work?   Joe

I'm afraid mine is an even older version. The motor used in mine is larger with two flywheels. I've not yet decided what to do with it so, for now, it sits in my "shops" The other one I purchased was a DCC equipped version. It wouldn't move once I tried to run it in reverse but opening that one revealed that some excess grease apeared to have congealed on the worm in one truck. Seems to be running again so hopefully the little bit I got out will do the trick

Thanks anyway! If only it was possible to get just the tiny spring, to get this motor back.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Give Ebay a look my friend.  This is the first thing that came up w/o too much Search effort:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOR-SPECTRUM-BACHMANN-HO-SCALE-TYPE-J-/351706649425?hash=item51e3599351:g:Qy0AAOSwL7VWqbIN

Other option and don't recall if it has been discussed here before, I do think it has and it was Len that was able to offer some information, is to find out if another manufacturer's brush spring can serve as a replacement.

Best of luck with your project.  Please keep us informed of your progress ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Irbricksceo

Quote from: bapguy on April 15, 2016, 03:41:29 PM
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1283
how about the above or buy a frame w motor
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=5930
Joe

the top image you posted is the motor. I'll have to search the store but if they have it, there. That said, if the cost of the motor plus the 30-35 it will be for a decoder is higher than 50 bucks, its not worth it since, with very little patience, you can find new one w/ DCC at that price.
Modeling NYC in N