News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lights Out!

Started by Plow_Bender, April 21, 2016, 08:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plow_Bender

Hey there folks,
Earlier this year I managed to get my hands on 3 Bachmann Jackson Sharp passenger cars.  These are the older style of cars that run off a 9v battery instead of track power.  All passenger cars were in need of a little work when I purchased them and I have done a few repairs to them already.  However, I've been having trouble with the lighting in one of the cars.  When you first turn the lights on, they are bright, but slowly start to dim until they go out completely.  I have tried replacing the battery, tapping the cars roof, and jiggling the switch, but the problem still exists.  One thing I should note is that there's a bulb missing on the rear of the car where the road name is. 

So the question is, what is causing the lights to dim and go out like they do?  Has anyone else had this problem and how did you correct it?  I don't really want to go out and buy a whole new lighting system for the car or convert it to track power.  Any help would very much be appreciated.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chuck N

Have you checked the battery in the failed car?  Take it out and put it in a car that seems to work properly.  If it is dead, then you have a short in the original car.  Get a multi meter and check the resistance in the good car and the car that seems to not work.  If they are different, you will have to trace the wires with the meter, one soldered connection to the next.  Not fun, but necessary.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

I definitely agree with Chuck, If the lights come on bright then go dim and then out draining the battery the problem is definitely a short
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!