News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale ez track system

Started by Taylortech1, April 21, 2016, 02:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylortech1

So I recently bought the N scale ex track first railroad track pack. Poorly documented. Basically no documentation.

Many question. What power pack would be the best to use with this pack. Need to control the turnouts. Second, my DCC system (bachmann golden spike) does not have the capability to control power turnouts. So what do I need to either power the turnout with the DCC system or to power the rail and turnouts with a standard DC xfmr. Any suggestion? how to kill two birds with one stone.

Len

DC or DCC it's generally better to power switches with a seperate power supply. For solenoid operated switches, like EZ-Track's HO & N switches, a 16VAC source rated at least 1amp is a good choice.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

brokemoto

Does the kit come with a DC power pack?  If it does, use that for turnout control,  If not, you can find the B-mann trainset power pack at shows.  B-mann might sell it here, even.  You can buy the wiring and extensions, if you need them.  B-mann sells the switches that control it, as well.

According to the advertisement on this site, it has all of the plug-in wiring.  Did it not come with a power supply?   B-mann sells the DC power supply on this site, but you will pay full list for it, here.

Maletrain

I have been thinking about doing the same thing, but with a different loco/tender.  If you look here http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_70_80&sort=20a&page=2 you will see the Bachmann parts for the headlight for their N scale 2-8-0.  It is a housing with number boards and an LED that fits it.  If the number boards bother you, you could carefully cut them off.  Then, as Spookshow said, you would need to replace the decoder with one that has 2 light functions that will reverse with train direction as well as wire the new backup light to the second light function output.  You will also need to figure out how to make the LED leads look OK to you where they exit the fixture, which I suppose you would place on top of the tank part of the tender.