News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Radius 22 and 24 curves

Started by Bill B, April 23, 2016, 03:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Do you have enough clearance for trains if you put a 22 inch turn beside a 24 inch turn.

Trainman203

brokenrail

If you plan on running large locomotives  that have a lot of overhang when turning, and cars are on the outside rail .There is a good chance they will hit or pull the cars off the rail If the couplings are frame mounted on the 22r .
Johnny

Trainman203

That's right Johnny.  Long passenger cars and engines will have  a hang-over on the inside track.

Why people eternally try to squeeze the biggest and longest equipment on the sharpest possible curves is beyond my understanding.

Bill B

Thanks. I am trying to tuck a siding in a tight area.   

brokenrail

Try a piece of flex track.You can manipulate the curve  a bit more then using fixed radius curve track sections, if that is what you are trying to do.
Johnny

Trainman203

And before you make final attachment, try your longest cars on the inside track with the longest cars on the outside track too, to mske sure they don't hit each other.

jward

with those radii, you'd be better off with 2 1/4" centers between tracks, certainly no less than 2 1/8"

you have two ways to get the added clearance. the easiest is to use flex track to make the odd radii needed. or you could offset the start of the wider curve by adding a 3/4" section of straight track at the ends of the curve.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bill B

Thanks to all. I will use the delay the start by 3/4 in and that is easy to do.