Wiring the #6 Remote Crossover Turnout using only 1 Controller

Started by jdnewemail, April 24, 2016, 08:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdnewemail

Hello

Just received my Crossover Turnout and was wondering if I joined the 2 groups of 3 wires together (2 middle wires, 2 left wires and 2 right wires) and then use 1 plug would I be able to have both switches go straight or go to the curved route at the same time. I would not like having any damage done to anything.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

jward

you should be able to do that as long as you are careful to get all the wires connected correctly. others have been doing this with other brands of track (atlas. peco, etc) for many years.

while I personally have not done much with ez track, it is my understanding that the center wire acts as the common for each switch, and the outer two wires control the actual route. given this, I would connect the center wires first, then hook up the other wires to the plug one at a time, swapping them as necessary until you get the crossover to operate the way you want. once the commons are wired, the remaining two wires will control the straight and diverging routes. if one of the two switches operates the wrong way, then you merely swap the straight and diverging wires from that switch.

one other problem you may fur into is that if your power supply does not have enough power one or both of your switches may not throw. if this is the case, you may want to look into a capacitor discharge circuit to add some extra power to your setup. these can be easily built from readily available parts from radio shack. parts needed for a simple capacitor discharge unit would be a bridge rectifier to convert the ac from your power supply to dc, a resistor  to regulate charging time, and a capacitor to store the charge. all of these would go between the power supply and the switch control boxes. in operation, activating the switch control box dumps the entire stored charge of the capacitor through the coil on the switch motors instantaneously.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

Jeff;
You are right on the mark here!  This has been around almost as long as the world's oldest...  It is a great idea-cheap as well.  You are also right about the large capacitor to store that charge.  It is very simple and very effective!

Rich C. 

jdnewemail

Thanks for tha advice, it worked. Check before you solder the wires so you can get the correct set. Both switches work with no problems but if stops working as I add more switches to my layout I will add the electronics you mention.

jward

remember the switches only draw current from your power supply when you throw them, so if your crossover works then you should have no trouble with powering the rest of the layout.

something that a lot of people don't know is that while it is traditional to operate your switch motors off ac, they work equally well on dc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA