Bachmann 2-8-4 Bershire - how to switch sound permanently off?

Started by Rheingold, April 26, 2016, 04:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheingold

Hi,

I have the Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire N scale with sound. I run DCC. Everytime I turn the power on the sound of the engine is switched on automatically. I then press F8 to switch it off. I only want to have it switched on when I run it. Unfortunatelly next time I turn the power on it makes noises again. How can I reverse this? All of the other trains are silent when the power is turned on and only get loud when I press the corresponding F key.

Regards,
Stefan

propmeup1

Same goes for me too.  I have 3 NKP Berks and 2 K4's sitting here and it gets pretty loud after awhile. Then with three trains running with doubleheaders that makes 11 engines making noise.

I know soundtraxx CV 113 puts them to sleep but i don't think the cheap factory installed soundtraxx decoders have that option in Bachmann engines.

Any takers on this one ?

Keith

Bucksco

You can turn down the master volume control via CV128.
P.S. The sound value Decoders are built by SoundTraxx in Colorado and are not "cheap"....

Mike C

CV 113 is not supported in these decoders . The only way to mute them is with F8 .  The only other option is to replace the decoders with a full function Tsunami , or their Econami decoder .  They along with Loksound decoders have a time out CV that mutes the sound after a period of time .

propmeup1

Sorry, didn't mean to offend and call the decoder "cheap".  I just meant it is less expensive and less functional then the TSU-750 or ECO-100 by soundtraxx.

How about a Pennsy T1 in the future please,

Keith

Rheingold

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 26, 2016, 05:00:57 PM
You can turn down the master volume control via CV128.
P.S. The sound value Decoders are built by SoundTraxx in Colorado and are not "cheap"....

Then I need to POM the engine everytime I want to unmute it and mute it again. Unless there's a way to map this to a function key.

Additional question: where do I find a manual for the sound decoder? One with all of the CVs and the possible values.

Brewman

The manual is available on the Soundtraxx website: http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/OEM_pages/bachmann/bachmann_n_284berkshire_sv.pdf

I know on other Soundtraxx decoders there is an option for the sound to start when speed step 1 is selected instead of when track is powered. I do not know if this is available on this decoder or what the CV may be. I use JMRI Decoder Pro for my programming and it is an option on one of the pages. I have not done any Sound Value decoders for anyone.

Barry

Rheingold

Which decoder could I buy to replace the built-in decoder?

Hunt

Quote from: Brewman on April 27, 2016, 04:28:54 PM
. . .
I know on other Soundtraxx decoders there is an option for the sound to start when speed step 1 is selected instead of when track is powered. I do not know if this is available on this decoder or what the CV may be.
. . .
Barry

Barry,

The CV is CV 113 Quiet Mode Timeout Period. But, CV 113 is not supported by the SoundTraxx Sound Value decoder in the 2-8-4 Berkshire.

Mike C

Quote from: Rheingold on April 27, 2016, 04:50:46 PM
Which decoder could I buy to replace the built-in decoder?

I like the Econami decoders by Soundtraxx . Have done both the 2-8-4 and the 4-6-2 with them . They are on sale this week too ! The Loksound decoder is also a good choice but is a bit more expensive .  You can find instructions to change the decoder here http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=35889.0

Rheingold

Thanks! I hoped I just could drop in a new decoder without soldering. Can't I replace the Soundtraxx by another better one?

spookshow

The sound decoder plugs onto a 9-pin interface on the tender PC board. If you can find a decoder like that, you wouldn't need to do any soldering (and sorry, I don't know much about sound decoders, so I couldn't recommend one).

Cheers,
-Mark