Which RRs used the Medium Vanderbilt tender as modelled by Bachmann Spectrum?

Started by Searsport, April 29, 2016, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

I have always liked this tender and have an undec one (coal). I am wondering which RRs used them, ideally one of the many lines that ran into Minneapolis- St Paul, or that operated around Florida / the Gulf Coast. I know the SP used them or similar, but they were oil in all the photos I have seen. I am thinking of mating one with a Spectrum undec 4-6-0 high boiler or 2-8-0, which could then rub shoulders with my Spectrum Rock Island 2-8-0s and C.St.P.M.&O 4-6-0s (Twin Cities); or my SAL 4-4-0s and Decapods (Florida); or another area would be southern Appalachia, as I have a bunch of Spectrum L&N + N.C.&St.L. steamers. I have tried looking on Railroad Picture Archive, but it is like searching for something from the wrong end.

Grateful for any thoughts,
Bill.

jonathan

The B&O a one or two of those tenders.  I've seen photos of the medium vandy tenders behind consolidations.

Don't know about other roads.

Regards,

Jonathan

JWhite

The IC 900 series 2-8-0s (which the Spectrum, now standard line is a model of) we're originally delivered with Vanderbilt tenders.  Most were replaced, but some of the Vanderbilt tenders were used on other IC locomotives.

I can send you a photo if you need one.

Jeff

Searsport

Hi, thanks for your replies, and the info about the IC 900 class. I should have said more at the outset. I know from Wiki that the following major RRs used Vandy tenders in significant numbers:

Baltimore & Ohio
Canadian National
Grand Trunk Western
Great Northern
Southern Pacific
Union Pacific

Most of these are not quite in the right areas. I am looking for RRs whose locos might have rubbed shoulders with my existing collections, and preferable for a 4-6-0. GN from the list above might have shared tracks with the RI around the Twin Cities, and the SP and RI met at Tucumcari, but Spectrum also did this tender in SP lettering and I have one. IC suggested by Jeff would have co-existed with the L&N around New Orleans. But I would be grateful for any more suggestions, especially for smaller lines. One of the grainer roads around the Twin Cities or a smaller RR in southern Appalachia or Florida would be ideal.

Thanks again,
Bill.

RAM

Trainman203

The KCS and the L&A.  No one remembers them.    :o. The ACL on certain engines.

electrical whiz kid

I believe the New Haven used them behind their 4-8-2 Mountain, and the 2-10-2 Santa Fe types.  These locomotives were used primarily on the Maybrook Line-between Cedar Hill in North Haven, and Campbell Hall (Maybrook).  These were both ALCO products, and were used primarily for freight movements.
When I rebuilt (customized) my 2-10-2s, I installed medium tenders.  I installed Buckeye type trucks on them-only because I like the appearance.  All told, I think they would look good behind most any larger steamer. 

Rich C.

ACY

In Minnesota and that general area as well as Florida and that area, I don't think 4-6-0's generally had Vanderbilt medium tenders. Generally if a 4-6-0 had a Vanderbilt tender it would be an oil tender and out West with a few exceptions I am sure. Your best bet would be to use it on a consolidation where it would be far more common. I have a Vandy medium tender on one of my B&O 2-8-0's but as far as railroads in the two areas you specified there probably are not many that would have used them unfortunately.

Trainman203

The L&A in particular had several 4-6-0s, not unlike the Bach Man's 63" driver version, that had oil vandys not unlike the Spectrum medium.  I am looking for an on line photo.

Len

Here's a 1931 pic of NH 4-8-2 #3343 with a Vandy tender in Danbury CT from the 'Fallen Flags' site:

#'s 3302 & 3326 had regular tenders.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Len; which was that: an R-1 or R-2?  I had seen both Mountains and 'Santa Fe' types at the Boston roundhouse a couple of times; as they were usually used on different parts of the system, I would put off an afternoon baseball game with the guys in favour  of catching them.  After 1950?  SOL!

Rich C.

Len

Rich - It's an R-1a, one of the 1920 buy of 30 mountains. They had larger superheaters than NH's original USRA "Mountains". It's also one of the first locos built with a feed water heater, rather than having it added at a later date.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Searsport

Hi, thanks for your replies. The Lousiana and Arkansas is perfect. I even have an old Bev-Bel L&A Boxcar! The L&A ran over T&P metals for part of its route, and I have just ordered the T&P 4-6-0 as I saw that Kleins were down to their last one and $149.99 was too good to miss!  If anyone knows of a photo of an L&A 4-6-0 with Vandy tender I would be grateful for the reference, as all the L&A locos I have found so far have box tenders.

Best Regards,
Bill.

electrical whiz kid

Searsport;
Maybe a good place to start would be in the state archives dept; State of Louisiana.  or Arkansas.
I am sure that, if they are like most other states, they have some pretty good photos.  One day, I was at the security building for 'Amtrak" Ct, and they had a wealth of photos, hanging on the wall, and in archived form.  None for sale, or any other form of give-away...  Great hour or so well-spent.  I also got some really nice photos of the coaling tower up close.  As a result, I was able to build a reasonable facsimile for my main engine terminal.

Rich C.

Searsport

Hi Rich, good idea. The Florida state archives certainly provided some photos of minor lines, and not always categorized under railroads.

Thanks,
Bill.