Main Menu

DCC reverse loop for N guage

Started by No mo HO, May 01, 2016, 05:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No mo HO

Hi all, long time no see;
I'm not going to ask if anyone knows how, because I know the answer is yes. ;D
The questions I do have are:

Question 1) Is there a way to create a reverse loop using just ez track plastic joiners and the reverse loop module.

Question 2) Would someone provide some detailed instructions on how to do this.  I have an idea, but hearing it from people in the know would be beyond awesome.  My track plan does not call for a reverse loop, but I'd like to add one.

Thank you all so very much.

No mo HO

gatrhumpy

There should be instructions included in the reverse unit.

No mo HO

Apparently those instructions went bye-bye during renovations.
I was told that I didn't need to solder, or wire anything.  All I needed was plastic rail joiners for standard prices of track.  Unfortunately for me, no details were given.  That's what I need, the details. 

Thank you to all

Councilman

In the instructions to install the reverse loop module, it suggests using a rail that is only available in HO scale.  How do you connect the wires on an N scale layout.  Can I use connecter rails as for the basic track connection?  Help!!

Flare

I don't have any N scale E-Z Track, but my HO E-Z Track layout is a loop-to-loop DCC setup that doesn't use those expensive insulated gap segments.

What I did was use terminal rerailers before and after the turnout pieces, which are (sort of) connected to the loop with plastic joiners.

Removing the metal joiners was a pain in the butt, and the plastic joiners I have are larger than the metal ones so they don't slide under the rails properly; Thus I had to trim the plastic joiners so they stick out just enough to gap the track.

The rails aren't quite even using this method, that's one reason why I have rerailers before and after each turnout.  The other is that the terminal rerailers are perfect for connecting your reverse loop module's leads.

When I can afford to, I'm going to get some new turnouts (that still have their metal joiners) And try making my own gapped segments with a razor saw.

Flare

Quote from: Flare on June 07, 2016, 09:29:30 PM
When I can afford to, I'm going to get some new turnouts (that still have their metal joiners) And try making my own gapped segments with a razor saw.

Done.  The results aren't pretty, but they work wonderfully.

At first I used a single cut in each rail, but they had a tendency to creep back together over time so I made a second cut to widen the gaps.

For N scale you may want to fill the cuts with styrene instead, I imagine those tiny wheels could get stuck in a double-cut gap.