News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crutch

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I don't have a permanent model RR, I keep changing which allows me to accommodate narrow gauge. It would be really cool to see a Mighty Mac though. They were always such an interesting concept for a loco. I still haven't gotten any of the Narrow Guage stuff, mainly because the funds aren't there right now. I hope to eventually though because these are just beautiful models.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

grandpuff

Hello Chaz and HLC:

I have not decided yet if I will have the D. Fusit Gunpowder decals custom made or just use individual dry transfer lettering which is a lot more tedious to do although I have done this type of work many times before. I will let you know what I decide to do. If I decide to have custom decals made I am sure I will oder several so I will have extras.

My next project will be the narrow gauge double ended Fairlie loco Mighty Mac. I am just waiting for the rest of the parts to get here from the UK so I can start on the loco. Interestingly it uses an N scale GP-50 diesel as the power chassis. It should be an interesting build.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

ChaoticCreeper55

The pictures look amazing gradpuff! As time goes on I hope to find space to build my own narrow gauge model but for now I am glad looking at everyone's questioning how you guys did it  ??? ! Can't wait to see more posts of the models, especially mighty Mac! Can't wait to see more!

- CC55

grandpuff

Hi CC55:

Thank you for your kind remarks.

That is how I got started here. Seeing the photos of the great models that others have built and posted here. Reading how they were built and asking questions. I have been an HO model railroader for many years but only recently became interested in narrow gauge with Bachmann introducing the line with Skarloey. I have always been a big Thomas Narrow Gauge fan and Duke has always been my favorite locomotive. Chaz was very generous in sharing the information gained from the construction of his model that I needed to build my own Duke. I hope that I can inspire others with my work as he has done for me. If we all share we all win!

I am still waiting for all of the parts to arrive from the UK for my Mighty Mac locomotive. Once I get started I will post progress photos here as I did with Duke.

In the meantime I hope that Rheneas gets here soon. I have a whole string of cars waiting for him to pull.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Captain Crutch

I can't wait to see Mighty Mac, they we just such an intriguing concept for a character. And I'm sure they'd be the strongest narrow guage engine in terms of the models. This is one of the reasons I'm surprised that during their introduction they primarily hauled ONE coach. Although that birings up another piece of rolling stock we need, their coach, if I remember correctly it was an open coach and that's be really nice for Skarloey to haul a few around the countryside, like some scenic railroads today do. Maybe the shapeway store will make one...
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

ChaoticCreeper55

Hey all! One idea for 2018's buildings is one, the the narrow gauge sheds, and two, crovan's gate because it would be amazing to have a meeting ground for the narrow gauge and ho gauge, and also the look of crovan's gate. Any likes/dislikes or narrow gauge buildings you'd like to see?

-CC55

AJW98Productions

Whilst I understand you had no malicious intent, ChaoticCreeper55, I think Bachmann prefers us not to promote items from other sites (that aren't theirs), that are being sold. Given that your post hasn't been removed, I would say what you wrote is perfectly fine, but it's something I would recommend for future reference. I have seen it land people in slight trouble before and I wouldn't want to see it again. No malicious intent on my part either, just something to bear in mind.

As for the idea of sheds like the two-stall ones seen at Crovan's Gate? I'm all for that! I think that'd be a great addition to the range. Or alternatively, ones like the stone ones seen in Duncan Gets spooked.
http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Duncan_Gets_Spooked/Gallery?file=DuncanGetsSpooked40.png
Here is an image for reference, as Imageshack and Photobucket have both changed their rules about third-party image hosting, I can't post the photo here. If anyone has any advice about a useful site for third party hosting, I'd be very grateful to hear suggestions :)

And lastly, grandpuff, I very much like the photos of those Brakevans and coaches you've made there, it brings back much nostalgia to the Classic Series of Thomas and Friends. I look forward to seeing what you all post in future!

~Alex

ChaoticCreeper55

Quote from: AJW98Productions on November 05, 2017, 12:50:14 AM
Whilst I understand you had no malicious intent, ChaoticCreeper55, I think Bachmann prefers us not to promote items from other sites (that aren't theirs), that are being sold. Given that your post hasn't been removed, I would say what you wrote is perfectly fine, but it's something I would recommend for future reference. I have seen it land people in slight trouble before and I wouldn't want to see it again. No malicious intent on my part either, just something to bear in mind.

-Alex

Oh thank you for the heads up! Had no idea just letting you guys know! Talk to you guys later!

-CC55

AJW98Productions

Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on November 05, 2017, 03:51:48 AM

Oh thank you for the heads up! Had no idea just letting you guys know! Talk to you guys later!

-CC55
No worries man, thank you for sharing with us!

~Alex :)

ChaoticCreeper55

Hey everybody! For the people who have gotten the coaches and brake vans from the shapeways account, elsbridge productions, what wheels did you all use for it? Thanks!

-CC55

grandpuff

The Forum Administrators have been generously tolerant of mentioning other products here as long as they enhance our enjoyment of Bachmann Trains. As the line expands and more of us start building narrow gauge layouts or adding narrow gauge to our existing standard gauge layouts let's all try to be respectful of the Bachmann Forum posting policy and perhaps re-read it once and awhile to refresh our memories. So if the information is helpful or useful to our enjoyment of Bachmann Trains then hopefully it will be OK.

In regard to your question about wheels sets, I have had good results with Microtrains non-magnetic (plastic) 33 inch black or brown wheel sets. They work very well in the application you mentioned. I have also used Peco GR-102 and GR-103 couplers and pockets to modify my narrow gauge equipment to make them compatible with my Bachmann Narrow Gauge Equipment.

Hope this helps,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

ChaoticCreeper55

Thank you so much grandpuff for the info! Pretty sure I'm gonna get some coaches and if so I'll post them here! Thanks!

-CC55

TerencetheTractor525

So tonight I took the time to observe all of the projects regarding narrow gauge and ooz, and I must state that I was amazed from what I saw in this thread. Thank you Chaz, grandpuff, BassTbone, and ThomasFan247 for posting some spectacular work! I cannot wait to see more from all of you!
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

uscgtanker

Hon30 us to be a very quiet and unheard of scale in model railroading. But then bachmann anounced the skarloy line which sparked so much interest. I started in the scale 16 years ago and i could only get resign models for several years. Once i had a few trains and a small railroad built that was it for my interest, the railroad was dicasembeld and the trains found a box. Once i saw the narrow gauge anouncment by bachmann my old trains cam out of the box and new modules were built. Though i'm now modeling a wide area from Australia, maine and welsh narrow gauges. A lot of parts i found from the 3d printer company use bachmann chassis to be mounted on, and that makes things run so smooth on conversion. Bachmann N scale locos have excellent motors for slow speed and don't shudder or stall. (except for dirty track) In the end using bachmann componets with bigger bodies from 3d printing still helps out bachmann, there young in hon30 and the scale is growing interest again. I will add some phots of my line soon.