News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoNTrains

Very awesome, BassTbone! Can't wait to see the final product. :)
Bachmann never ceases to amaze me :)

Cheeky_ULP

Ah, Bertram huh...? Looks like you're using the wrong face....  ;)

BassTbone

Quote from: thomasj219 on June 10, 2016, 02:03:58 PM
Oh boy! That should be great! Duke has always been my favorite Narrow Gauge engine. What face did you use?
It was the ERTL face.

Thanks guys!

Chaz

To those of you that are interested, the Bachmann Skarloey parts are now available in the Bachmann parts catalog:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_93_694
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

thomasj219

Wow, Seems it's cheaper to buy all the parts for Skarloey than the model out right. I'm assuming if you bought every part on that page and were able to put them together, you would have a fully functioning model.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Anthony P2

shhh! they can't know that we've found a loophole in the system!  ;)

UPTODAY

SKARLOEY PARTS!!!!buyer beware,there are no fasteners there!!!!
UPTODAY
UPTODAY

uscgtanker

Really nice layouts there and some fine looking talyllyn coaches. we just got our model skarloy wensday and does she look good, only one problem. All my hon30 stock has bukeye knuckles and not those loops. Nothing a little cuting and glue can't fix but it would be nice to have pre made knucles to swap out. after the work was done and the glue had time to set skarloy had time to pull a train of gilpin ore cars. I also had her try out Welsh highland pullman Glaslyn https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Carriage_2100 got to say it fit well. My next loco for hon30 is a puffing billy engine G-42 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Railways_G_class this engine is a beast for narrow gauge. I have one model section for my hon30 but had to stop since I don't have space to build more. :( If you guys are looking for some more models not from parkside look at 3d printing like shapewaves. I have 5 models from them a diesel conversion for the MDT, the G-42,  welsh  highland 2100 glaslyn, 20' reffer,and a 20' pulp wood flat. My railway runs anything hon30 narrow gauge for more rolling stock verity. I'll add photos and videos later and will keep linked up with more info.

Trainboy100

I think he use an ertl duke face wouldn't you agree :D

BassTbone

In the wake of disappointing news, I'd thought I'd share what you can achieve with kits while you wait.

Duke was made using a Langley Models kit with a Fleischmann Piccolo 0-4-0 chassis. 

Waiting on nameplates from narrowplanet and lining from Fox Models

Anthony P2

So I ordered Skarloey back in March of this year and have been waiting for him to come off of back order ever since. Well, today he came!!!!!! :D  ;D I can't even begin to tell you how extremely pleased I am with this model!! For his size, there is a lot of detail even so that there are details I've never even noticed before! And he runs great! I ran him in well and even got him to go at a semi-realistic speed! I had ordered some 009 scale track as well as a wagon from PECO's 009 range, and had ordered the blue SR van with Skarloey! Everything looks great together! I'm just so happy with my purchases and can't wait to get Rheneas, slate trucks, and practically everything else! This was defiantly worth the wait! I'm not just saying this but he's possibly the best model in the Thomas range by Bachmann! thanks for producing an amazing model!

uscgtanker

I did find the correct knuckle conversions for the peco line and the skarloey line of rolling stock. Dapol makes the conversion knucles for bukeye knucles. It looks like bachmann is working with peco for the cars since you can flip them ofer and they say peco made in england (finally something not from china). Though peco anouced new car the side tip hoppers and slate wagons, and figuring bachmann is also working with them skarloey will have even more veriety of cars to pull.

Chaz

Time for some long overdue updates!

It's been a while since I posted updates with this thread in general, but we are making solid progress such as the total portal as well as the details inside the mine which you are about to witness below:

Captain Crutch

When it's done will you upload a video of the narrow gauge engines rushing through the quarry? Aswell as maybe you can add a little section of HO as all parts of the Skarloey have a station or something of the sort connecting it to the standard gauge railway. Ideas aside the thing I really like it the fact that if something derails in the tunnel it's fine because you can easily reach in and you added details to the interior so it's not just and empty space you're not supposed to see. I can't wait to see what else you come up with for this. This is amazing, I sure hope one day I can see it in person once it's done, or even now would still be amazing.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Chaz

Once the mountain itself is completed, I may look into doing a video and it would be posted on our YouTube page. 

This line will stictly be 009 since it's only a small portion in our HO clubhouse.  There will be a dual gauge line running at the top of the mountain (which will be HO and HOn3) as well as a separate HOn3 track at the bottom.  The latter may have some kind of interaction at the quarry with the 009 line in the future, but as we get closer I can post those pictures too. :)

Thanks for the feedback.