News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

Always great seeing a response back in this thread!  Yes Duke can run on N scale track just like Skarloey.

The Festiniog kit came from here: http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Locomotive_Body_kits_55.html

You can also look up a decent 0-4-0 chassis based in the description.

The face came from the ERTL Duke model, and other spare parts like handrails and lining tape can also be looked up on various shops online.  Here's a link to handrail knobs just to get you started
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Medium-length-OO-gauge-locomotive-handrail-knobs-precision-turned-brass-/111996305227?hash=item1a137fff4b:g:JcwAAOSwo3pWes5x

I hadn't posted in this thread in a while but our Christmas show this year was a success!  Here are some pictures:

Skarloey was the star of the show.

Set up a construction scene on the siding as we didn't have time to complete it or the trestle.  It only made sense just to make it seem like actual work was going on.

And during the show an unexpected passenger jumped on one of the wagons...!

Will happily post updates again if you would like.  I hadn't worked on the layout too much in the last month due to the Christmas shows but starting this week I plan on working more on the trestle.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

grandpuff

Thank you very much Chaz for your reply and info on parts suppliers.

The Bachmann narrow gauge line is a very welcome addition for Thomas fans.

The narrow gauge episodes have always been my favorites especially the two part Grandpuff/Duke episode.

I really appreciate your posting this info for me.

Thank you,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Chaz on January 08, 2017, 06:05:08 PM

Skarloey was the star of the show.

I've gotta say, Chaz, every time you post photos, it just makes me want to get the Bachmann Skarloey and start an HOn30 layout myself.  After seeing the setup you have at the club, it's left me thinking a lot of what I would want my layout to look like.  Unfortunately an HOn30 layout is a project I've had in mind ever since Bachmann announced narrow gauge, but I'm yet to find the time and money to get started.  Doesn't help when you're a professional procrastinator either.

I will say though that the clubs HOn30 setup is really nice when you throw in narrow gauge characters.  Duke really looks great considering he's just a kit bash rather than an actual Bachmann model.  That there shows skillful modeling.  I am a bit curious though why there's an N scale gondola with a crane in it.  Is this just temporary piece until a proper HOn30 wagon is built, or just something put together for the Christmas show?

Like I said before, I've really got to look into getting the Bachmann Skarloey and starting an HOn30 layout.  Seeing you and others post photos just keeps fueling the desire to do so.  Maybe I'll have the time next winter to build a small layout.  Keep the photos coming if you like. ;)

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chaz

The crane was a last minute project that I put together, I wanted it to look like that something was going on on the other track because I couldn't finish it in time for the Christmas show.  Not exactly realistic and I could have ordered a kit if needed but it wasn't on my agenda... might be something I'll have to look into in the future since I wouldn't count on Bachmann making one.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

grandpuff

Hello Chaz:

Thank you again for your reply with modeling info for your Duke Locomotive. It has been very helpful to me to locate suppliers for the parts needed to construct a model myself.

I have ordered the Festiniog Prince loco from Langley and found a Fleischmann 0-4-0 loco on EBAY along with the handrail stanctions you mentioned in your post.

I have also located a company in the UK called Narrow Planet that does custom brass name plates for a very reasonable price and I have ordered a set of DUKE plates from them.

One question I still have for you is what did you use as a chassis for your tender?
Your photos do not show this very well.
Did you use an N scale goods wagon chassis?

Thanks again for your help,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Chaz

Excellent, glad to hear that you will be getting started on your very own Duke model! Please post pictures for progress :)

The tender chassis should come with the kit so you should be good from there.

grandpuff

Chaz:

Thanks for the additional info on the tender chassis parts being included.

I will gladly post construction photos once everything arrives from the UK and I get started.

I was really excited about finding out where to get custom eteched brass engine name plates.

Of course as soon as we all build our own Duke models Bachmann may produce them one day.

Thanks again Chaz,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Duke

It's very cool how perfect the Ertl face fits to the model. It's exactly as it was supposed to be there from the beginning.
Would have loved to made a Duke model myself..., but unfortunately I'm a perfectionist without any sort of modeling skills and no patience what so ever, so sadly I don't think the result would be any good at all.
Thomas - Henry - Percy/Toby/Emily - Spencer - Gordon/James - Edward/Mavis - Salty - Bill/Ben - Donald/Douglas - Diesel - Duck - 'Arry - Bert - Skarloey - Oliver - Rheneas/Rosie - Rusty

grandpuff

Hi Chaz:

I have received the Festiniog Prince loco from Langley Models, a Fleischmann 0-4-0 loco from EBAY, and the brass handrail stanchions you mentioned. I also ordered brass plates for the "DUKE" nameplates from Narrow Planet. Thank you again for the information you supplied to locate these items. I also found an Ertl Duke loco for the face.

I am still trying to locates the correct size brass wire for the handrails, yellow stripping, and the correct color paint.

Do you have any suggestions for the paint that you used as it looks spot on. Also did you use decals for the yellow stripping?

I will also have to figure out how to post photos here.

Thanks again,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Hey Grandpuff, I can't answer most of your questions, but I can help you upload pictures 😂

You'll need to register for a Photobucket account or something similar and upload your pictures to there. Then it will give you the option to "copy image link." Copy this link and paste it between THIS:

[img ]http://link goes here[/img ] (without the spaces between the brackets)

Hope that helps!
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

grandpuff

Hi Grffin:

Thank you very much for the help on uploading photos. I will give it try so that I can post some photos of my Duke project.

Thanks again for such a speedy reply,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Not a problem! Glad I could help!
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Chaz

Hey granpuff the paint that Michael used while working on Duke was a Boot Brown made by Krylon.

The pinstripe tape I used is made by line o tape.  The specific one for Duke I used is the 12 - yellow
1/64'' x 120''.

Please post pictures for progress!  I'm excited to see how yours will turn out as well. :)

On a completely different note, I finally pre-ordered Rheneas who just got listed for pre-order this weekend at Hobby Linc.

grandpuff

Hi Chaz:

Thank you for the additional information regarding paint and stripping.

The "DUKE" nameplates are on the way so with the paint and stripping coming I think I now have everything I need to get started.

Now I need to get set up to post photos thanks to Griffin.

I have wanted a running model of Duke for many years. Your model is an inspiration to me to build my own Duke.

Grandpuff

Grandpuff

ThomasFan247

I'm not sure if this is considered to be a form of narrow gauge, but I'm going to share here anyway. Since Christmas I've been working here and there on the three primary Arlesdale engines. They utilize Tomy Wind-up shells with Marklin Z scale chassis. Unlike Mike and Rex, Bert is tender driven. They are still a WIP, as they need new buffer heads, buffer beam details, etc. If you'd like you can follow their progress on Twitter and Instagram using #oozdale. I hope you enjoy!  :)