News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrNickRiviera995

I'm trying to get a narrow guage collection started.  I see that Skarloey is out of stock on the Bachmann store and seems to be selling crazy expensive on ebay.  It's not discontinued is it?  Really hope not.  Do things typically go in and out of stock periodically?

grandpuff

Hello to All:

First Photobucket stops working because they now charge for photo sharing and now Flikr no longer supports Internet Explorer so now I am going to try using Tinypic so we will see what happens.

As I said earlier I have been able to prime and paint my Mighty Mac model and I think it has turned out very well and hope you all agree.

Sorry, I have not figured out how to rotate photos on Tinypic yet.

I have installed the vacuum hoses, headlights, and the Mighty and Mac faces on each end of my loco.

I have also completed the gold, red, and yellow stripping and now have the Mighty Mac boiler and chassis completed except for adding the brass nameplates. I have not received the brass plates from Narrow Planet yet but they are on the way.

You may also notice that I have installed the couplers, buffers, cylinders and crosshead guides on the loco drive train. The most tedious job remains which is to drill the holes in each power truck wheel for the crank pins to hold the connecting rods and drive rods which will complete my model. I think this will probably take a few weeks as this needs to be done very carefully to maintain the driver quartering.

I will post some additional photos when I finish the running gear. Once everything is running I plan on posting a video on YouTube as I did for my Duke loco. You can see all of my videos by searching for my YouTube channel at RXRBILL and my videos will pop up.

Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

DrNickRiviera995

Wonderful work on your railroad and Mighty Mac there.  I don't think I'd ever have the skill and patience to make custom locos.  Great stuff and thanks for sharing.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

so, so impressive grandpuff. please keep up the good work, and a side note: i think you should look into doing fearless freddie as your next project. i have a feeling he would look stunning if you took a whack at him...
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

ChaoticCreeper55

Hey guys! For Christmas I got the bachmann Rheneas and 3 slate wagons and I am still very thrilled! These products run very well and I love how the smaller bachmann goes, the more they pay attention to detail. Grandpuff your mighty Mac looks amazing! One thing I am going to state which you probably already know, is that one side of the windows is red and the other is yellow. I love the detail you put into it, it looks amazing! Can you do a video on your YouTube where you take the three sections of track that you have in all the photos and have the engines run along it so we can see the speed of them? As always love everyone's work! Thank you guys for making this thread so interesting and fun to look at!

-CC55

TerencetheTractor525

Fantastic work grandpuff! Mighty Mac looks great so far!

As I am still home for winter break, I was able to complete some new narrow gauge scenes on my layout. Here are a few pics...

The Old Wooden Bridge:

Rheneas Tunnel:

Glennock Station:

The Hill:

The Mountain Line:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

ChaoticCreeper55

Terence it looks amazing!!! Can you do some videos of it on your channel because I'd love to see everything! Thanks!

-CC55

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on January 03, 2018, 10:22:21 PM
Terence it looks amazing!!! Can you do some videos of it on your channel because I'd love to see everything! Thanks!

-CC55

Thank you so much! I'm actually in the process of editing of video of Bachmann Rheneas and Skarloey running around the scenes. I'll paste the link to the video once it is uploaded.

ChaoticCreeper55

I'm very excited! Can you do a review of the newer parts of your layout sometime? That would be amazing thanks!

-CC55

Chaz

Terence I am beyond impressed with your setup.  The wooden bridge especially looks impressive.  I know from experience that putting bridges together like that from scratch can be a challenge but it really pays off.  You can definitely do some incredible scenes with what you have.  Even though I personally would have stuck with Peco OO9 track rather than N scale track it really doesn't detract from the setup at all.  Once more engines eventually come out in the range, as well as more rolling stock, you clearly will have a lot going for you in terms of remakes/episodes.

Grandpuff, I really like your Mighty Mac model and I would love to see how it runs when you get around to it.  Got quite a collection there so far!

I need to get started on my projects soon, only when the paycheck allows sadly.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Anthony P2

Wow! Very impressed by how both Grandpuff and Terrence's models and layouts are coming along! Terrence, you're narrow gauge extension of your layout looks awesome! I'm really liking the bridge and mountain road a lot! Hopefully I can include them on my layout one day! Grandpuff, MightyMac is coming along really well too! The paintwork is spot on! What techniques did you use for the lining?
Also, just a little update on my Rheneas. I contacted Bachman before Christmas and they said they didn't have any models on hand so they suggested I contact the retailer. So, I contacted TrainWorld and I had awesome customer service from them! I submitted a request for a replacement model, shipped the damaged one back, and received my replacement the week before Christmas! Finally had a chance to run him in last Thursday and he really is an amazing little model!i'm really loving this range a lot! Really looking forward to Rusty and the new announcements this year!

Elsbridge Productions

Hey guys! So if you follow my Twitter or Instagram you would've already seen this, but I finally released my Red and Green coaches on Shapeways! I tried to upload some photos of the coaches to show here, but I can't get it to work for the life of me. If you want to see them, go to my twitter, instagram or shapeways store. Also please note the photos on there are of my own shoddy prints of the coaches, and if you were to buy some from shapeways they would not be at all shoddy or anything. The Shapeways render is the best way to see what you're buying.
I really enjoyed seeing Terrence's updates on his layout, too, and hope to see his video on them soon!

- Elsbridge Productions (Owner of Elsbridge Model Shop)

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on January 03, 2018, 10:46:36 PM
I'm very excited! Can you do a review of the newer parts of your layout sometime? That would be amazing thanks!

-CC55

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "review the newer parts". If you mean making a video of me explaining how I made the scenes, that may be something for me to consider in the future  ;). Thank you again for your enthusiasm.

Quote from: Chaz on January 04, 2018, 01:57:54 AM
Terence I am beyond impressed with your setup.  The wooden bridge especially looks impressive.  I know from experience that putting bridges together like that from scratch can be a challenge but it really pays off.  You can definitely do some incredible scenes with what you have.  Even though I personally would have stuck with Peco OO9 track rather than N scale track it really doesn't detract from the setup at all.  Once more engines eventually come out in the range, as well as more rolling stock, you clearly will have a lot going for you in terms of remakes/episodes.

Grandpuff, I really like your Mighty Mac model and I would love to see how it runs when you get around to it.  Got quite a collection there so far!

I need to get started on my projects soon, only when the paycheck allows sadly.

Thank you so much Chaz! I was amazed with your layout when I first saw it, so getting a compliment from you really means a lot to me. The old wooden bridge was a challenge. However, with the help of wood coffee stirrers, scissors, wood glue, and paint, the bridge was certainly feasible, and definitely worth the time and effort. Regarding the track, I actually did use Peco OO9 track. However, I used the version with mainline sleepers instead of the version with uneven sleepers. The only two areas that I used N track are the very bottom of the hill where the track curves, and the left hand switch that I used to make a loop. Anyways, thank you again for the kind remarks and I cannot wait to see the future projects you have planned.

Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 04, 2018, 03:03:19 PM
Wow! Very impressed by how both Grandpuff and Terrence's models and layouts are coming along! Terrence, you're narrow gauge extension of your layout looks awesome! I'm really liking the bridge and mountain road a lot! Hopefully I can include them on my layout one day! Grandpuff, MightyMac is coming along really well too! The paintwork is spot on! What techniques did you use for the lining?
Also, just a little update on my Rheneas. I contacted Bachman before Christmas and they said they didn't have any models on hand so they suggested I contact the retailer. So, I contacted TrainWorld and I had awesome customer service from them! I submitted a request for a replacement model, shipped the damaged one back, and received my replacement the week before Christmas! Finally had a chance to run him in last Thursday and he really is an amazing little model!i'm really loving this range a lot! Really looking forward to Rusty and the new announcements this year!

Thank you very much Anthony! I'm also glad to see the good news with Rheneas. I got my Rheneas from TrainWorld as well, and thankfully my model was not defective. Thanks again for the compliment!

Quote from: Elsbridge Productions on January 04, 2018, 08:29:51 PM
Hey guys! So if you follow my Twitter or Instagram you would've already seen this, but I finally released my Red and Green coaches on Shapeways! I tried to upload some photos of the coaches to show here, but I can't get it to work for the life of me. If you want to see them, go to my twitter, instagram or shapeways store. Also please note the photos on there are of my own shoddy prints of the coaches, and if you were to buy some from shapeways they would not be at all shoddy or anything. The Shapeways render is the best way to see what you're buying.
I really enjoyed seeing Terrence's updates on his layout, too, and hope to see his video on them soon!

- Elsbridge Productions (Owner of Elsbridge Model Shop)

Thank you  :). I will be uploading a video of Rheneas and Skarloey running around the scenes soon  ;).

ChaoticCreeper55

Elsbridge Productions I took a look at the coaches and they look really great!!! I was wondering when you will be doing a video on them because I'd love to see it! Just thoughts for some video ideas even though you probably have a lot in the works is, a video of all the narrow gauge things on the shop plus runs with Rheneas and Skarloey, a video of all the HO/OO things on the shop plus runs with the engines, and a video of everything else on the shop. Thanks!!!

-CC55

ChaoticCreeper55

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on January 04, 2018, 09:50:27 PM
Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on January 03, 2018, 10:46:36 PM

-CC55

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "review the newer parts". If you mean making a video of me explaining how I made the scenes, that may be something for me to consider in the future  ;). Thank you again for your enthusiasm.

Yes that is exactly what I mean! Thank you so much for your response and your videos!