News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow Gauge Modeling Thread

Started by Chaz, May 07, 2016, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elsbridge Productions

Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on January 04, 2018, 10:14:42 PM
Elsbridge Productions I took a look at the coaches and they look really great!!! I was wondering when you will be doing a video on them because I'd love to see it! Just thoughts for some video ideas even though you probably have a lot in the works is, a video of all the narrow gauge things on the shop plus runs with Rheneas and Skarloey, a video of all the HO/OO things on the shop plus runs with the engines, and a video of everything else on the shop. Thanks!!!

-CC55
I am planning on making those videos soonish, but I still have a lot to do first. I went to a bunch of railways last June and still haven't edited that footage yet!

ChaoticCreeper55

Quote from: Elsbridge Productions on January 04, 2018, 11:15:08 PM
Quote from: ChaoticCreeper55 on January 04, 2018, 10:14:42 PM
I am planning on making those videos soonish, but I still have a lot to do first. I went to a bunch of railways last June and still haven't edited that footage yet!

I'm so excited to see the videos!!! Can't wait!

-CC55

grandpuff

Hello to All:

I am glad to hear your favorable comments regarding my Mighty Mac project and have a few questions to answer for those that have asked them:

Chaz:
The Mighty Mac chassis is a Bachmann GP-50 so yes it runs very well, nice and slow and smooth. In fact I have coupled up all 16 of my narrow gauge cars and Mighty Mac pulled them all with no trouble, and I think he could easily pull twice that number. I do plan on posting a video of Mighty Mac to my YouTube channel RXRBILL but not until I finish the running gear.

DrNick:
The folks here have said that hopefully once Rheneas was released that Bachmann would re-stock Skarloey. Others have also said that Rusty might arrive late Spring after the February announcements. We can only hope that more information may come from the Bachmann.

Griffin:
Yes, I have done some research on a Freddie model but 2-6-2 N Scale chassis are hard to find and the loco model would likely have to be kit-bashed. This might be a project for next year.

CC55:
Yes, I did get the cab windows painted correctly right after my last photos were taken. The cab window are yellow on the Mighty end, and red on the Mac end, and they match the water tank hatch covers as can be seen in my photos.

AnthonyP2:
I paint my models using a Paasche double action air brush that I have had for many years. The lining you asked about is made by Line-O-Tape and is available at Mega Hobby. I use the 1/64" X 120" which comes in several colors. In fact it was Chaz that shared this info with me as this is the lining tape we used on our Duke models.

Terrence:
I am also impressed with your layout photos and will look forward to seeing your videos.

Elsbridge Shops:
Just ordered three of the open coaches to go with my Mighty Mac so looks like that will be my next project. So thank you for letting us all know about these new narrow gauge coaches.

Thank you all for your comments and questions. And yes, this is the best thread going for sharing of projects and information regarding HOn30 or OO9.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

ChaoticCreeper55

Quote from: grandpuff on January 05, 2018, 02:13:57 PM

CC55:
Yes, I did get the cab windows painted correctly right after my last photos were taken. The cab window are yellow on the Mighty end, and red on the Mac end, and they match the water tank hatch covers as can be seen in my photos.

Grandpuff

Can't wait to see new photos! Can you put a link to the video of Mighty Mac when you post it? You guys inspire me to want to do these projects and I hope one day in the future I will! Talk to you later!

-CC55

DrNickRiviera995

Quote from: Elsbridge Productions on January 04, 2018, 08:29:51 PM
Hey guys! So if you follow my Twitter or Instagram you would've already seen this, but I finally released my Red and Green coaches on Shapeways! I tried to upload some photos of the coaches to show here, but I can't get it to work for the life of me. If you want to see them, go to my twitter, instagram or shapeways store. Also please note the photos on there are of my own shoddy prints of the coaches, and if you were to buy some from shapeways they would not be at all shoddy or anything. The Shapeways render is the best way to see what you're buying.
I really enjoyed seeing Terrence's updates on his layout, too, and hope to see his video on them soon!

- Elsbridge Productions (Owner of Elsbridge Model Shop)

Very impressive work!  And yeah, shapeways prints are quality, I've bought many for my carnival modeling.  I would definatly recommend spending a bit extra and getting the white stong and flexible polished over the matte finish.  Will take way less paint layers to get a smooth finish.

Still hoping shapeways will run a decent sale sometime soon.  Dissapointed they didn't run a sale Christmas week as in years past :(

DrNickRiviera995

DrNick:
The folks here have said that hopefully once Rheneas was released that Bachmann would re-stock Skarloey. Others have also said that Rusty might arrive late Spring after the February announcements. We can only hope that more information may come from the Bachmann.

Luckily Skarloey did pop back up on ebay the other day and at a farirly good price, so grabbed him, so I've got the 2 engines, 4 slate wagons and 4 open wagons on the way to start my NG collection!

I really hope Rusty is out soon and they announce more for the range in February!  Is it typical of Bachmann to announce things and then not release them for 18 months?

TerencetheTractor525

I just uploaded the video of Rheneas and Skarloey running around the new narrow gauge scenes on my layout. Here is the link to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzBOyQc7zCA

Thank you so much Bachmann Trains for making such wonderful models.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

I've been thinking and I might put my 00 project to the side and get a small NG layout up and running- it's too exciting not to. You all have inspired me.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Chaz

The video was great Terence, it's always a lot of fun watching Skarloey and Rheneas running on nice and detailed setups like this.  The old bridge set as always looked great.  I can see a Sodor Scene involving Rusty happening once the model comes out!  It was also great seeing them pull some nice rolling stock throughout the whole video too, very good!

Quote from: DrNickRiviera995 on January 05, 2018, 04:33:16 PM

I really hope Rusty is out soon and they announce more for the range in February!  Is it typical of Bachmann to announce things and then not release them for 18 months?

Sadly yes, around the year and a half to two year mark after they are announced is when most models typically are released.  I would think that because Rusty has fairly simple design that he should be out by this summer, but I wouldn't doubt he would be out later than that like Rheneas was last year. 

Chaz:
The Mighty Mac chassis is a Bachmann GP-50 so yes it runs very well, nice and slow and smooth. In fact I have coupled up all 16 of my narrow gauge cars and Mighty Mac pulled them all with no trouble, and I think he could easily pull twice that number. I do plan on posting a video of Mighty Mac to my YouTube channel RXRBILL but not until I finish the running gear.

Interesting, I'm impressed that managed to fit in the body, but I'm glad to hear that it is still able to perform well which is all that matters in that regard.  Interested in seeing how the running gear will turn out as well. 

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on January 04, 2018, 09:50:27 PM
Thank you so much Chaz! I was amazed with your layout when I first saw it, so getting a compliment from you really means a lot to me.

I'm flattered, that just made my day!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

grandpuff

Hello Again:

Now that the Mighty Mac boiler assembly is painted and stripped and now complete I have started to work on the running gear. The Langley Models Fairlie locomotive kit uses an N scale Bachmann GP-50 as the power chassis so I thought that maybe I should explain a little more about how that works. The Bachmann loco uses a split frame assembly to hold the motor, drive train, and the power truck assemblies. The parts that are used from the GP-50 are the motor, drive shafts, and power trucks. The split frame and of course the loco shell are not used. The photo below shows all of the parts left to assemble.

You can see the completed boiler assembly at the left of the photo and to the right of this is the replacement split frame assembly that is included in the loco kit. With a split frame each side is insulated from the other with plastic bushings and picks up power from the rails from the trucks and makes the connection to the motor. When finished the drive train assembly fits inside the completed boiler assembly. The red bottom plate is what holds everything together. The right half of the photo shows the power truck assemblies, the cylinders, side and connecting rods, and the wheel discs that are glued on to the power truck wheel faces. The next step is to attach the driver wheel discs and then drill the holes in each wheel for the side and connecting rod crank pins.

The photo above shows the assembled Bachmann GP-50 power trucks after conversion to the steamy boogies. Next comes assembly of the split frame power train, testing and adjustments. Once the power train is assembled it then fits inside the completed boiler assembly. Then comes the final assembly and completion.

This photo shows my next  project which is 3 new open air coaches to be painted green and cream to go with Mighty Mac. Even though the series only showed Mighty Mac with one coach I have decided that 3 would look better.

I will continue to post here my progress and when all is completed I will post a video to my Youtube channel RXRBILL and post that link here for you all.

Thank you all for your interest and support.
Enjoy,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

douglas

Hi guys,

I'm modelling "Gallant Old Engine" as a standalone layout, but in testing the couplings on my 009 Peco coaches (and Rheneas) will not stay together on or while cresting grades. Should I invest in knuckle couplers, or look for another solution? I don't think I can soften the grades any more than they are at the moment (very steep, scalewise.)

Elsbridge Productions

Quote from: douglas on January 10, 2018, 10:24:23 PM
Hi guys,

I'm modelling "Gallant Old Engine" as a standalone layout, but in testing the couplings on my 009 Peco coaches (and Rheneas) will not stay together on or while cresting grades. Should I invest in knuckle couplers, or look for another solution? I don't think I can soften the grades any more than they are at the moment (very steep, scalewise.)

Personally, I would avoid knuckle couplers simply because from an aesthetic viewpoint they are inaccurate and ugly. I can't speak for their functionality and of course its up to you whether you find looks a problem, but its a personal pet peeve of mine to use knuckle couplers on british stock :) In any case, good luck!

grandpuff

Douglas:

You might want to take a look at how the cars are coupled together. I think that a solution may be to make sure that the loop from the first car is under the loop from the engine and then the same through the rest of the cars. That way as the train reaches the crest of the grade the loop on the loco may hold the loop from the next car onto the pin of loco or car ahead. It seems worth a try.

Grandpuff.
Grandpuff

Angelob6660

I hope bachmann could sell the Roco HOe stirrup couplings in separate packaging. Finding these are very difficult.

You might want replacements or have them handy for those shapeway models Elsbridge Productions.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Grand puff, you inspire me more and more everyday. Please never stop what you're doing! You are truly talented.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow